Reclaiming Berdan-primed cases.

Guest Catdaddy

Guest Catdaddy

As the price of brass goes up, and availability down, I have been considering how to convert/reclaim Berdan primed cases, especially in rarer calibers like 303.

I have seen the "hydraulic" units designed to force a Berdan primer out using a hammer and a water-filled case. To me this is not adequate- I want to make the cases reloadable in perpetuity- or at least as long and as easily as Boxer primed cases.

So I figgered I'd rig a guide sleeve through the FL sizer die and using a bit with a hex drive end, turn it with my cordless drill. (Adequate lube and tapping fluid applied, of course).

The objective is to drill a center hole through the case, allowing the primer to be punched out like with Boxer primers.

Optionally, i could use the hydraulic remover, then jig and drill the cases on my drill press- which might in the long run, be easier to achieve.

I could also press the cases one at a time into the FL sizer using the shellholder for the autoprime tool, then set the turret plate on my drill press and drill through the die. Then the case could be tapped out of the die with a suitable drift.

Time consuming, for sure. But when TSHTF it might be handy to be able to do so- and possibly even get an extra use from steel cases.

And I like to fool around with new ideas, so it suits me.

Anyone else ever considered this?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest goomba

I've thought about it, if you use google, I have seen a few pages/forums that tell you how they converted from berdan to boxer primer.

some people just chalk it up to its too much time/effort per case. but to each their own.

if you get it done, be just to post up some pics on how you did it. I always like seeing stuff like this posted up with lots of pics.

Guest Catdaddy

Ok, I think I've got it. I thought of this right after posting.

In the auto repair biz for 30+ years, we used a method removing bushings from blind holes. It involves running a tap into the bushing to cause the busing to walk out, up the threads of the tap. SOOO...

I rig a jig to hold the case upside down in the drill press, centered. Drill the primer center out almost to the walls. Run a tap in that barely engages the walls, and let it pull the remaining walls out. The anvil should cushion the case and provide a "push surface".

Then drill the center hole to push out future Boxer primers.

I WILL check the sites you mentioned. And if this works, I'll post pics.

It won't work, all military primers are "crimped" in to prevent them from backing out when fired in MG's. Most military rounds are also laquered for water resistance and dry lubrication properties. This can also act as an adhesive making Berden primers hard to push out.

Not only do you have to remove the primer, drill the hole for the boxer type, you also have to get and use a "primer pocket swager" that will ease the re-priming process.

linky .... http://www.cabelas.com/p-0018791210946a.shtml

Product Descripton

The Primer Pocket Swager combo ensures a perfectly round primer pocket. It removes primer crimps from military cases.

Edited by Currently

It would be easier to just purchase unprimed brass that can be loaded 20 times depending on how hot they are loaded.

I don't think there are any legacy military cartridges that are purely berdan primed.

Some of that stuff is corrosive ammo and care needs to be taken to keep the firearm clean.

A long time ago, I bought a lot of ammo from a company called Atlanta Discount Ammo and if you watched their deals on Shotgun News or the Gun List, you could get any military cartridge boxer primed. For a reloader, it was worth paying the extra dollars to get brass you could reload with commercial components.

I have since learned to simplify my life by settling on 4 different calibers.

My ammo stock is simple and easy to satisfy.

"Warning: I use humor to assess a person's character.

Your local gynecologist will address any issues you may have regarding this statement. "

(off topic, re your sig)

I have tried to see the humor/irony in your sig and have failed.

Can you 'splain?

- OS

(off topic, re your sig)

I have tried to see the humor/irony in your sig and have failed.

Can you 'splain?

- OS

:D It is a phrase referring to people ... specifically males that have sand in their v*g*na to go to the "right" professional to seek help with their lack of humor. (high testosterone = sandy v*g*na)

Something about a male in stirrups being examined by a gynecologist cracks me right up. :rofl:

I know that I am not normal. :rofl:

Life is too short and important to take little things seriously.

Edited by Currently
...Life is too short and important to take little things seriously.

Totally agree, all the more reason I asked, since it's a rare joke I don't "get".

I have never ever heard the term "sand in the vagina" in any context relating to a man's mood, only a woman's, so no wonder I didn't get this one.

- OS

Guest Catdaddy

Well, after extensive research today, I have decided this is like many things I have thought of and set aside.

It is great to acquire knowledge that may be used in a case of dire necessity, but not really practical UNTIL that time...

To currently- I'm trying hard to keep my number of calibers low- but some guns I will never part with, even though I don't shoot them often, and am only storing ammo against the day I can no longer acquire it.

Like my Enfield.