Thoughts about S&W Sigma

Guest bjswolf

Guest bjswolf

Everyone, I saw a S & W Sigma in 9mm today at the gun show in Springfield. I had been looking at a Taurus 24/7 Pro as a handgun option, but the price of the Sigma was very attractive. I probably would rather have the .40 cal model. What are your thoughts and experiences with the Sigma?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a Sigma for a few months. It jammed constantly, had stovepipes, failure to feed, etc. Traded up for an XD in .40 and haven't looked back since. My advice, based solely on my experience: save up and get an XD, Glock, or M&P - something that has a reputation for reliability. :lol:

Guest Boogieman

I own the 9mm version and I love it. Granted I've only put 150 rounds down the pipe but I havent had a ftf or fte beyond the initial round not seating properly in the chamber. Cleared that and it's been 100 percent reliable since. It is my first gun (I'm not counting the Jimenez .380 I bought off my brother and never got to shoot) and I bought it because of the attractive price tag. It's a keeper in my book and It will be with me for a long time.

Same here with the SW9VE. I have one that I use now and then as my EDC. No problems ever. Very reliable and accurate. The trigger is pretty stiff at first but will loosen up the more you shoot it. It is one of the most underrated pistols on the market IMO.

I would chose the Sigma over the Taurus.

I used to have on one 9mm. I put over 2000 rounds through it. There was never a failure of any kind. It is the only handgun I have ever had that never had anything go wrong. Pull the trigger and it went bang then cycled each and every time.

The trigger is a little stout but you do get used to it. It was not an issue. And it smoothed out a lot after about 500 rounds.

Like every gun I have ever sold I regret doing it. That thing was a keeper and I should have kept it.

Edited by Mike.357

I've owned a couple of them. I had a 9mm that functioned flawlessly and I kinda regret selling it. My father and I bought one each in .40 several years back (consecutive serial numbers). His worked flawless while mine had non-stop failures to feed and failures to extract. Needless to say, I got rid of mine, but he still has his and likes it. Even if certain ones work flawlessly, I wouldn't want to stake my life on one of them based on my experiences. But that's just me.

The several years back sorta makes me think that was the issue. I have not heard any real issues with the newer model sigma's. Howerver, having said that... Always a chance of a lemon with any brand.

Edited by lowbud
I have 2 Sigma 9s sitting in my safe because the gun store will only give me 225 for a trade in on them. Could not get past the trigger. Upgraded to Glocks in 40 and a Sig 239 for wife.

I'd say that's a fair deal considering you can buy a new for $329 and they have a $50 mail in rebate until the end of the month.

Guest dart67eb
I used to have on one 9mm. I put over 2000 rounds through it. There was never a failure of any kind. It is the only handgun I have ever had that never had anything go wrong. Pull the trigger and it went bang then cycled each and every time.

The trigger is a little stout but you do get used to it. It was not an issue. And it smoothed out a lot after about 500 rounds.

Like every gun I have ever sold I regret doing it. That thing was a keeper and I should have kept it.

I have the .40 version. Everything he said. Except I still have mine. I'm thinking of selling it, though, to raise money for another rifle.

Guest bjswolf

Thanks for all of the opinions everybody.

I would like to shoot one at a range before I make a final decision.

It seems you either like this gun or you don't. Not much in the middle.

Any thoughts on 9mm vs 40 cal for the Sigma?

Oriental Express:

That may be the case now but when I bought it 1: the price was higher and 2: the rebate did not exist. S&W is now off of my future buy list.

The price hasnt gone down on them... ever as far as I can remember (which isnt far :rolleyes:).

But seriously, mad at S&W for offering a good deal? You get mad at grocery stores for having coupons?

Thanks for all of the opinions everybody.

I would like to shoot one at a range before I make a final decision.

It seems you either like this gun or you don't. Not much in the middle.

Any thoughts on 9mm vs 40 cal for the Sigma?

9mm cheaper to shoot. .40 makes a bigger hole. Honestly it's the same gun with a larger tube. The only reason I kept my sigma .40 is the smiple fact I was always able to find .40 ammo when the shelves were bare.

Both are good rounds. 40 tends to be a little snappy but then again so does +P 9mm.

Flip a coin IMO.

I was looking at the sigmas also for a short while, then I kept reading the horror stories about the triggers on them.

I do have a Taurus 24/7 compact in 9mm. I have around 500 FLAWLESS rounds through it and I still think it is one of the most comfortable guns in my hand. However, its not accurate at all.

For a while I thought it was user error, however Garufa and a few other experienced shooters shot it and its obvious it is the guns fault. I still love the gun, its not my primary carry anymore but its a great "truck gun" on in my case, "trunk gun".

I would take advice from the others and just save up for a few more months and get something nicer. In the long run, you won't regret spending the extra money.

I carry the SW9VE, and have fired over 1000 rounds

since purchasing it last August. My son has the same

model except chrome slide and has went through

about 400 rounds in the same time. He also uses a

Ruger SR9. We have never experienced a failure of any

kind or any problems what so ever.

I carry mine daily including farming, horseback riding and

training. Proper cleaning etc and it has always been good

to go. Stiffer trigger a necessity really with the first round

fired double action, susequent rounds single action.

Defintely keepers in our minds.

I carry the SW9VE, and have fired over 1000 rounds

since purchasing it last August. My son has the same

model except chrome slide and has went through

about 400 rounds in the same time. He also uses a

Ruger SR9. We have never experienced a failure of any

kind or any problems what so ever.

I carry mine daily including farming, horseback riding and

training. Proper cleaning etc and it has always been good

to go. Stiffer trigger a necessity really with the first round

fired double action, susequent rounds single action.

Defintely keepers in our minds.

The SW9VE is DAO. It is not a SA firearm.