kesava

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

There's always Duracoat or Ceracoat, but if I was you (if you've never attempted this) I'd spend a little extra and have a professional do it for you.

Thanks inspectin1!

No, I don't own an airbrush, but I am not opposed to getting one. I didn't want to go all out on this as the 1911 i bought wasn't quite in the budget... Good thing my wife is a horrible shot.

I used Alumahyde II from Brownells,its a epoxy coating thats sprayed on,it comes 2 ways,you can get it in a standard spray type can and also in liquid form that you have to thin and spray with a gun.The slide is the matte black and the frame is their dark gray parkerize color.It has to cure for about 2 weeks before you can handle the pistol much.I know first hand if you dont let it cure the finish will mar badly.

IMG_1078-Copy.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

Brownells sell a rattle can duracoat, their own brand of course. Not as tough as some other coatings but it does it's job of protecting the carbon steel of my slide from rust even when the paint chips in high wear areas.

I beat the crap outta my gun and for the most part the finish looks fantastic.

Here is the pics I have to admit I'm still not sure about the color combo but it is what it is for now. Carrying the pistol in my Crossbreed holster I have seen some wear in various places that I will try and address next time. maybe if I give it a longer cure time or something.

IMG00015-20090918-2136.jpg

IMG00017-20090918-2142.jpg

IMG00018-20090919-0342.jpg

IMG00021-20090921-2131.jpg