Second Elk Hunt

Application Period Underway for Second Elk Hunt | TN.gov Newsroom

Released on Thu, Apr 01, 2010 - 10:12 am under

NASHVILLE --- The application period to participate in Tennessee’s second-ever managed elk hunt is now underway. The application period began at 8 a.m. (CDT) on Thursday, April 1 and will continue through May 31, 2010.

The second elk hunt will be held Oct. 18-22, 2010 at the North Cumberland Wildlife Management Area, located off I-75, north of Knoxville. Once again, there will be five Elk Hunting Zones designated at the WMA.

Persons may apply at any TWRA license agent, TWRA regional office or online at www.tnelkhunt.org. The deadline is midnight (CDT) on May 31. Mailed applications will not be accepted.

As in the first hunt, five individuals will be selected to participate. Four of the participants will be selected through a computer drawing conducted by the TWRA. The fifth participant will be the recipient of a permit that is donated to a NGO (Non-Governmental Organization) which this year will be the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. Fund-raising proceeds are designated to the TWRA Elk Program.

In the inaugural hunt, all five participants harvested an elk. Four came on the opening day of the hunt.

There is no application fee for current Tennessee Annual Sportsman License holders, Lifetime Sportsman License holders, or senior citizen hunters (Type 166) with an Annual Senior Citizen Permit (Type 167). All other applicants will be charged a $10 non-refundable permit fee, a $2 internet usage fee (if applying online) and $0.50 drawing fee (the internet and drawing fees are charged by the internet provider). For those applying at a license agent, there is a $1 agent fee in addition to the $10 non-refundable permit fee.

The successful applicants will be announced at the June meeting of the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Commission. Successful applicants will not be allowed to reapply for an elk quota permit for 10 years following a successful draw.

---TWRA---

To view the application, please click on the link below:

http://news.tennesseeanytime.org/system/files/2010ElkHuntApp..pdf

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a joke..All it is, is purely money!!$$ Thats all TWRA wants wtih this Elk hunt..I'll save my $10 and give it to KY where there is a real huntable Elk population..In fact,I already have..

It is a joke..All it is, is purely money!!$$ Thats all TWRA wants wtih this Elk hunt..I'll save my $10 and give it to KY where there is a real huntable Elk population..In fact,I already have..

Well I would think that money would go towards the elk. I donate money every year to support the TWRA so $10 dollars to help with TN wildlife to me is a good investment, especially when it comes to our next generations to come. Also TN is still trying to get the elk population back up so this is kinda like a fund raiser but you get a chance to hunt one. It is a win win situation in my opinion. I am not against going out of state to hunt but saying that supporting TN elk is a joke in my opinion is just wrong. We need to support OUR wildlife here in TN first.

Edited by Hunting101

It is free to apply online with the Annual or Life-Time Sportsman license. I got my app in.

I saw a few cows and possible calves along I-75 this winter. I posted a cell phone pic a while back. Beautiful animals.

A friend of mine (KY resident) got a cow in KY last year. I think he said they issued 1,000 permits or something like that. TN will get there....

Well I would think that money would go towards the elk. I donate money every year to support the TWRA so $10 dollars to help with TN wildlife to me is a good investment, especially when it comes to our next generations to come. Also TN is still trying to get the elk population back up so this is kinda like a fund raiser but you get a chance to hunt one. It is a win win situation in my opinion. I am not against going out of state to hunt but saying that supporting TN elk is a joke in my opinion is just wrong. We need to support OUR wildlife here in TN first.

+1,000 hunting101! by the way, you can't register over the phone, it must be online. i'm hoping to do so tomorrow, if i have time.

I can hunt all I want on family property and never buy a license with the current rules for landowners but I buy a sportsmans license every year so that I can make my contribution to them doing what I see is stellar work in game management. When my father, who was born in 1940 was a boy, people would talk for days about just seeing a deer print somewhere, now we pass them dead on the side of the road like a opossum they are so common and plentiful.

I myself never saw a turkey until about 12-15 years ago, now I see them everywhere.

They may not be perfect but they are doing right by me and I'll toss them my bones every year to help. Everything has a cost to it.