Computer Gurus: Password Possible??

Guest RemedyCNC

Guest RemedyCNC

I have a quick question which should be either yes or no.

Is it possible with Windows Vista to password protect a new folder which you create and put on your desktop? I looked into the security section of the folder but it doesn't specifically mention creating a password.

My laptop is already password protected but it would be nice to be able to restrict specific desktop icons even further for those "sensitive" documents.

Any help is appreciated ;)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If each person who logs on to the computer has their own account, then you can set permissions on the folder to give access just to your account. When someone else logs on they won't be able to access the folder.

Of course if they have Administrator privs, they can take ownership of the folder and reset the permissions. So you need to make sure you are the only Administrator.

You'll also need to make sure nobody knows your password, otherwise, they'll just logon as you. You also have to make sure to log off or lock the PC (use Windows_key + L), otherwise they sit down at the PC and are already logged on as you.

Another thought, many programs allow you to set passwords on the files. I'm pretty sure Word or Excel does this. Whenever you try to open that particular file, you get prompted for the password. Unfortunately, you have to enable this inside each file. Some program's passwords are easily hacked by a professional, but can easily keep out casual users like children or roommates.

Guest RemedyCNC

Originally posted by analog kidd:

"Another thought, many programs allow you to set passwords on the files. I'm pretty sure Word or Excel does this. Whenever you try to open that particular file, you get prompted for the password. Unfortunately, you have to enable this inside each file."

I think that will work for me. I have some documents on my computer I want to protect from the average hacker. I have this fear that while online, someone will be browsing my files looking for the good stuff. Using a thumb-drive for this type of info is not always practical. I will protect each document as needed. Thanks for the help. BTW, in Word, go to "tools", "options", and "security". Quick and dirty. Thanks!!

you could just use a zip or rar program like the free 7-zip or even winzip or winrar and make a file with a password on it and just add what you want inside of it. It will allow you to open and modify the files and save the new copys.

• Administrator

If you're worried about data theft, you need to tighten your security measures. Hardware firewall/router, good antivirus suite with comprehensive antispyware tools, and for the love of God don't ever use Limewire, e-Mule or other similar person-to-person file sharing tools -or- download and install pirated software as many of these things carry trojan payloads that will open countless backdoors on your computer.

File encryption and password protection are marginal means of security. Any of them can be bypassed given time. Password-based encryption does you little good if you've inadvertently installed software on your computer that performs key logging.