Lets see your desktop wallpaper

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils
How do you take a screenshot on your mac?

The easiest way is the built-in Mac OS program called "Grab".

Guest Glock23ForMe
Command+Shift+3 will take a full screenshot.

Command+Shift+4 will give you crosshairs and you can make a selection to take a screenshot of.

Shift+command+3.

Shift+command+4 lets you select what you want to capture.

Dangit, Capbyrd beat me to it...

Where do the pictures go?

Guest Lester Weevils

I work with several OS and can't recall the keyboard shortcuts reliably when needed.

In Finder, just open /Applications/Utilities and drag Grab.app to the Dock. Grab offers several ways to screen capture regions or entire screen. It is easier to remember to find Grab than remember the keystrokes.

Grab opens a window of each capture you make. If you save them from Grab they are in .tiff

Tiff isn't the most convenient internet format, so you can copy a screen shot you like from a Grab window. Then open Preview.app and select menu "File|New From Clipboard".

With the shot in Preview, you can do quick rudimentary edits such as cropping if necessary. Use menu "File|Save As" to save in many common image formats.

I work with several OS and can't recall the keyboard shortcuts reliably when needed.

In Finder, just open /Applications/Utilities and drag Grab.app to the Dock. Grab offers several ways to screen capture regions or entire screen. It is easier to remember to find Grab than remember the keystrokes.

Grab opens a window of each capture you make. If you save them from Grab they are in .tiff

Tiff isn't the most convenient internet format, so you can copy a screen shot you like from a Grab window. Then open Preview.app and select menu "File|New From Clipboard".

With the shot in Preview, you can do quick rudimentary edits such as cropping if necessary. Use menu "File|Save As" to save in many common image formats.

It would be alot easier to remember command+shift+3 and command+shift+4 since they will drop it on the desktop as a png. It cuts out several steps. But some of us just know keyboard shortcuts. When I started learning computers, I made sure that if something ever happened to my mouse, I knew enough shortcuts to get by. They are kinda ingrained in my brain now.

Guest Lester Weevils
It would be alot easier to remember command+shift+3 and command+shift+4 since they will drop it on the desktop as a png. It cuts out several steps. But some of us just know keyboard shortcuts. When I started learning computers, I made sure that if something ever happened to my mouse, I knew enough shortcuts to get by. They are kinda ingrained in my brain now.

Yeah, am old and the memory never was good even when young. Will typically spend several months programming PC, then several months programming Mac, etc, and so it gets hard to remember what works.

I often use screen shots writing software manuals, and might have dozens of shots open for pasting in the right places. A window list in Grab just seems tidier than cluttering the desktop. Some shots need to have menus popped-down or whatever, so the Timed shot in Grab is useful for getting a screen ready for the picture.

Shift-cmd-3 or 4 saves to desktop as png on OS 10.6, so unless png is what you need, you have to convert it to something else anyway, involving a second step.

11-24-2002.gif

Edited by Lester Weevils

True. And I work on Mac at work (required) and PC at home so I know all about going back and forth. I'm also the unofficial IT guy here at work and the only person with a Mac so I have to stay up on PC or else I can't help anyone.

Guest Glock23ForMe
OSX drops them right on your desktop.

Try it, it's easy.

Hmm... Mine disappear...

Grab puts them in a window, but the Control + Shift + 3 (and 4) don't put them there....

It's hiding them from me, and I don't know what it names them so I cannot look them up on spotlight.