YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Y'all younguns who have never had the experience to sample or eat on a regular basis some old time farm grown foods don't know what you're missing. Brains breaded in cracker meal and fried lightly is some mighty fine eatin. Brains fixed with scrambled. eggs is good, too. When I was a kid, there wasn't too much from any farm animal that was discarded. Yeah, we did not know about cholesterol then and I am really not convinced it matters that much anyway.

oldogy

Yeah, we did not know about cholesterol then and I am really not convinced it matters that much anyway.

my mothers grandparents and her parents grew up on a farm. Both maternal grandparents lived well into their 90's, as did her mother. my maternal grandmother never worried about what she ate, and I know on the farm nothing went to waste.

I think cholesteral and its effects have a lot to do with genetics. I know they all smoked too, they were tobacco farmers.

If it came down to it I woudl eat the ass end of a dead cat if it was the difference between life and death. I do draw the line at head cheese though, LOL

years ago in High School I worked in the meat department of a local small grocer. We had one customer, and older german lady who would order an entire pigs head from time to time, (once or twice a year). It would come from our meat supplier in a cake box. She made what is called " head cheese" out of it. Cincinnati is real big on different kinds of cold cuts, there must be twenty different varieties of cold cuts available there. All of it pork and/or beef based. One of the kinds we sold at the store was ready made Head Cheese. It was disgusting looking. I never tasted it but we sold a fair amount. You could just about identify the different parts of the pig that were in it just by looking at it. The butcher told me that the stuff was not bad, he ate it, but that it was an acquired taste.

We also sold kidneys, liver, hearts, toungues, and yes brains.

I used to own a little market back in the mid 80's and we sold all of that back then plus hog maws. We would have pig heads 3 or 4 times a year and customers would just buy them from the meat case. I never ate any of them nor anything that was made from them!

My great grandfather used to eat brains and eggs all the time and my dad loves souse meat, me even though I love pork there are certain parts that I'm going to have to be really hungry to eat when I was younger I worked in a slaughter house has anyone here ever heard of cracklins?

Guest Bluemax
My great grandfather used to eat brains and eggs all the time and my dad loves souse meat, me even though I love pork there are certain parts that I'm going to have to be really hungry to eat when I was younger I worked in a slaughter house has anyone here ever heard of cracklins?

Yea, I actually like cracklins especially in cornbread and remember my Dad having brains and eggs as well as souse meat and liver loaf which was some kind of lunch meat with a 1/4 " of fat all the way around it

Remember it is all relative folks.

I'll bet every one of you who are saying "oooh yucky" have heard stories about a hunter feeding the best chili to folks - only to have them get sick hours later upon telling them it was venison. Yeah well this is the same thing being done here.

Don't knok'em unless you have tried them. Fried up they are pretty tasty. Heck...a rubber boot fried up right would be tasty.

Guest Tygarys
Remember it is all relative folks.

I'll bet every one of you who are saying "oooh yucky" have heard stories about a hunter feeding the best chili to folks - only to have them get sick hours later upon telling them it was venison. Yeah well this is the same thing being done here.

Don't knok'em unless you have tried them. Fried up they are pretty tasty. Heck...a rubber boot fried up right would be tasty.

This remids me of the old Japanese "Iron Chef" show. They would eat anything. One ep. had them cooking and eating a tuna eye...