Most Dangerous States In America (Tennessee Ranked 5th)

TMMT

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder where we would be if we took Memphis out of the state...probably pretty low then.

Same could be said for Nashville, presumably.

While Memphis sucks, any major metro area will drag the crime numbers way up...

You got a point. I just looked up the dangerous city rankings on cities with over 500,000 in population and Nashville ranked 8th. Memphis was forth.

I guess the tell of two cities has more than music in common now.

City Crime Rankings by Population Group

I moved here from the Detroit area and have never felt more secure in my life. The Tennessean's agenda is showing, again. You can't color an entire state based on one or two cities. There are some very nice, safe areas of Michigan.

Georgia's wonderful -- Atlanta sucks. Alabama is delightful - Birmingham sucks. Ohio is tolerable (best I can do) - Cleveland sucks.

However, saying that the state's rating is drug down (or up) by some cities in the state is political incorrectness, "that which shall not be discussed".

TMMT may have ready access to the numbers. I've spent a lot of time in Memphis (months), and there seems to be a lot more crime there than in Nashville. Nashville still has its share. I keep hoping Mr. Serpas will pull some of his resources off traffic duty and and focus on it some more.

Even the Tennesean won't be dumb enough to blame guns when those numbers are going up, and crime is going down.

However, saying that the state's rating is drug down (or up) by some cities in the state is political incorrectness, "that which shall not be discussed".

It's not political correctness, it's fact!

I'm not PC in any way, the FACT is when you look at statewide crime statistics, the metro areas DO increase the overall crime rate. That's not debatable.

Heck, one can argue that the outskirts of Memphis are safer than much of the state as well - crime statistics show this. A vast majority of the crime in Memphis happens in a few select zip codes.

TMMT may have ready access to the numbers. I've spent a lot of time in Memphis (months), and there seems to be a lot more crime there than in Nashville. Nashville still has its share.

Yah, in the last few FBI rankings, Memphis was challenging for first place (though Detroit isn't likely to lose the title any time soon). What's oft overlooked is tha Nashville is consistently in the top10 metro areas (crime/capita).

Both cities kinda suck wrt crime, but just like Memphis, it's select areas of Nashville.

Whats shocking is that the Tennessean didn't blame it on gun owners...

Which truly is shocking when you consider that they take every opportunity to report all those gunfights in "bars" - oh, wait, there haven't been any. Hmmmm.

Which truly is shocking when you consider that they take every opportunity to report all those gunfights in "bars" - oh, wait, there haven't been any. Hmmmm.

Yeah, what happened to all the gunfights and shootings that were suppose to turn the state into Dodge City when shall issue carry was passed. Hasn't happened and that's what really upsets the Communist Appeal, Tyrantessean.

I have said it before and I will say it again. If you are a law abiding citizen and don't run around with criminals your chances of being a victim of crime in Memphis are as low as they are in any part of the state. I read this in another post recently and I agree with the statement " In Memphis when a crime is reported one thug has to be the victim" that is Memphis crime in a nut shell. I know hundreds of people in Memphis and they have been victims of "Memphis crime" as many times as someone living in Knoxville. It rarely happens to law abiding citizens.

I guess the 'boro is getting kinda rough too these days. Seems like everytime I watch the news they are talking about crimes in Murfreesboro as much as they are in Nashville. I am sure it is not just as bad, but it seems like crime has gotten worse.

Guest jackdm3

Murders or rapes?

Year .Population .Index .Violent .Property. Murder .Rape Robbery assault Burglary Theft Theft

2008 24,326,974 1,092,134 123,564 969,570 1,374 8,014 37,753 76,423 230,123 654,097 85,350

Edited by jackdm3
Guest PapaB

I have to wonder why they give the same weight to each type of crime. Do they consider burglary to be as heinous as rape or motor vehicle theft as bad as murder?

How is Florida 6th with higher numbers in every category but robbery and motor vehicle theft, and a total of 65 compared to Tennessee's total of 57. Maryland had 45 rapes and a total of 86. :panic:

I don't get it. :poop:

I have said it before and I will say it again. If you are a law abiding citizen and don't run around with criminals your chances of being a victim of crime in Memphis are as low as they are in any part of the state. I read this in another post recently and I agree with the statement " In Memphis when a crime is reported one thug has to be the victim" that is Memphis crime in a nut shell. I know hundreds of people in Memphis and they have been victims of "Memphis crime" as many times as someone living in Knoxville. It rarely happens to law abiding citizens.

BS. I grew up in SE Shelby county before Memphis took it over and it was still "rural". Our church was was victimized numerous times, car break ins were a regularity in the parking lot, the church itself was broken into twice, our home was robbed twice, my mom worked at Oak Court Mall where there were two employees murdered on two separate occasions (robbery related), and I had several friends victimized by the same stuff. Seemed rather normal. This is just in my personal experience over the 15 years I lived there and the 24 my family lived there. (Location: what used to be Holmes Rd. and Germantown RD/Nonconnah)

BTW - this was considered Germantown area before incorporation. Came from a pastors family in "good neighborhoods". There is a world of difference between Nashville and Memphis.

I hate to hear that, but it sounds like you guys had really bad luck. I guess my odds must be going down, because the crime spree has not touched me, my family or my friends. I hope that you have better luck wherever you are now.