10/22 Nuts

I'm trying to find someone locally that knows 10/22s inside and out or at least has put together several good shooters that I can bounce ideas off of and maybe get together to go shooting.

Right now I have 3 10/22s, two are costing me a lot of time and money, the other I am keeping stock as a "control."

I have a Rimfire Technologies trigger housing and R/T bolt that I would swap for a decent Marlin or Savage if I didn't have this crazy idea that I can get them to improve two aftermarket barrels. It ain't working out as planned though.

Craig in Clarksville

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Broomhead

Craig, You got an extra Target, Match, Comp, or even standard hammer laying around?

I just bought a 10/22 and I am having a ton of fun learning everything I can about it. I have figured out that the most important part to reducing the trigger pull is the hammer. I don't want to mess up my stock hammer, but I wouldn't mind trying to stone a spare if I could find one reasonably priced.

Let me know what questions you have and I may be able to help.

Broomhead,

I have an extra hammer if you want it. I think it is stock, but out of the 4 or 5 hammers I have it may be aftermarket. I can't tell anymore. I have had 4 10/22s, 3 on hand.

Jeez Louise, I have learned some stuff about 10/22s in the past several days.

I have 4 10/22 bolts for 3 rifles, they are not all the same configuration. Also, some trigger housings will not work with some bolts. I have 4 trigger housings for 3 10/22s. Some bolts will not work with some barrels. Some bolts will not work with some barrel/chamber configurations. Some extractors will not work with some bolt/chamber matchups. Some recoil springs will not work with some bolts.

Don''t worry about taking stones and dremel bits to a 90.00 dollar afermarket bolt.

I think I am a couple of weeks away from being a 10/22 meister. These things can't beat me. But they are frustrating me.

biggest lessons learned: get your stock barrel and bolt reworked for HV ammo by Randy at CPC. Buy a VQ hammer. Bed your action. Get a hex head takedown screw. Don't do anything else. If you want a Cooper buy a Cooper.

CPC 10/22 Bolt Rework,

Craig Harrington

Clarksville, TN

Guest Broomhead

How much you want for the hammer, shipped? Doesn't matter if it is aftermarket or not, I will try/compare it before I do anything to it.

I have a hex head take-down on the way, along with an extended release and a bolt buffer. From what I have read the buffer is the only thing needed to be able to take on HV ammo. I already have an auto bolt-release in the gun. As far as a VQ hammer I can afford one...yet. I was actually looking at the Power Custom hammer.

I am the farthest thing from a 10/22 master but I have learned a lot and can completely disassemble and clean the entire gun. This is the first gun I have ever owned that I have even tried to do that with.

I hope that you are able to figure things out and get three complete rifles together.

BTW...Have you gone to Rim-Fire Central yet to discuss your issues?

Edited by Broomhead
biggest lessons learned: get your stock barrel and bolt reworked for HV ammo by Randy at CPC. Buy a VQ hammer. Bed your action. Get a hex head takedown screw. Don't do anything else. If you want a Cooper buy a Cooper.

It sounds like you got it figured out....The above statement is very true. Anything else is just candy.

Even with a stock barrel - I have two targets pinned to my wall...shot from two guns with similar modifications. They are both at 50 yards. They are both 10 shots (not 3). The holes can be covered with a quarter. Both guns appear to be bone stock.

Some serious shooters somewhat stick their noses up at the 10/22 for target/competition work. Not sure why? Price or ubiquity I suppose. With little work and little time they can shoot very, VERY good.