Caught a disease from handling a friend's handgun.

Guest 10mm4me

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 10mm4me

Brand new Colt New Agent, .45ACP. He did not like the trench sight, so I sold it for him today. I wish I had some extra bones in the gun fund.

Bil has one and really likes it. I've run a few rounds thru it and find it acceptable. The trench site takes a little getting used to. Personally, for the cost, there are other small-frame guns I'd get. Don't know about all the particulars, but there have been several recall notes on them so far.

Bil has one and really likes it. I've run a few rounds thru it and find it acceptable. The trench site takes a little getting used to. Personally, for the cost, there are other small-frame guns I'd get. Don't know about all the particulars, but there have been several recall notes on them so far.

Details on the "other" small frames you would get please?

i love 1911s but don't know that i would carry one. that looks kind of like the sig 238 but a bigger grip

Def not....the gun pictured is a .45...the P238 is a pocket gun.

And why would you not carry a 1911?

Edited by titan14

Seems to be closer in size to a Kimber Ultra Carry II instead of the P238 (I have both). Just got the Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II last Saturday and have a Galco 2nd Amendment IWB holster for it and it basically disappears in the 3 to 4 o'clock position.

Looks like I've been infected too.

i said it looked kind of like the 238, he stated earlier it was the colt new agent. i have never really been a big fan of the cocked and locked carry. i tried carrying my colt officers model and it just didn't do it for me, went back to the glocks. i would like to shoot that thing for sure!

Some folks are put off by the external safety and the size. I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry as my EDC, but would like to find a full size 1911 to replace it. The key is practice, practice, and more practice.

Personally I prefer full size all steel 1911's. HOWEVER... My friend's Colt Defender looks and feels perfect. Does well at the range until it gets hot or dirty. He's still searching for a magazine/ HP/ lubrication combo that yields reliable results. When he carries it at the moment the only HP is in the chamber. EVERY time I pick that Defender up I can't help but think how much smaller, lighter, and sexier it is than my Mil-Spec. Disease? Yes. If we'd spent 10 years with any other pistol, And it still FTE/FTF we would consider ourselves morons. :D

My friend's Colt Defender looks and feels perfect. Does well at the range until it gets hot or dirty. He's still searching for a magazine/ HP/ lubrication combo that yields reliable results.

and that is a perfect reason to not carry one. Glocks and XD's always seem to work with whatever ammo you have, the mags that can be gotten and don't need anything expect a drop of oil or two.

1911's are fun and I like them but I have seen very few that are actually reliable. And I was discussing this with SUNTZU yesterday. I wondered aloud how many GI's died as a result of failures with their 1911's

:poop:

I have had six or so 1911's, don't have any currently. I've done some armorer style work on quite a few. My 84 yr old WWII Marine vet shooting buddy has several ammo cans full of 1911s, various makes and barrel lengths, stuffed in socks doing nothing. He uses Kahrs, Glocks and .38 snubbies.

In my mind it is hard to beat a 1911 trigger well done. The 5" 1911 is a good gun, but the others all have some sort of issue that needs constant supervision to maintain reliability. The shorter the 1911 the more attention they seem to need.

I prefer the recoil impulse, trigger and natural shooting tendency of the 1911, but those attributes are outweighed in my mind by Glock's reliability, durability, price of parts (if rarely needed) and carry weight. If I was a pro LEO like FBI SWAT or HRT I would like the Springfields that they endorse, but as a middle aged civilian who just wants peace and quiet I will happily settle for my Glock 9mms.

Craig

i love 1911s but don't know that i would carry one. that looks kind of like the sig 238 but a bigger grip

Personally I won't carry anything but a 1911, and if for some reason that's not practical in a given situation, then I'll carry a S&W Airweight J-Frame revolver.

Guest tnpanscraper

I'm a 1911 guy.... I carry a RIA M1911A1 CS 3.5" barrel. Wouldn't trade it for an over priced .45 either. I've had Kimbers and Springfields but for the $$$ RIA is the way to go. Have about 700 flawless rounds through mine. Also I personally wouldn't carry or trust my life to a gun that doesn't start with a .4. Either a .40 or .45....

Just my 2 Lincolns

and that is a perfect reason to not carry one. Glocks and XD's always seem to work with whatever ammo you have, the mags that can be gotten and don't need anything expect a drop of oil or two.

1911's are fun and I like them but I have seen very few that are actually reliable. And I was discussing this with SUNTZU yesterday. I wondered aloud how many GI's died as a result of failures with their 1911's

:rolleyes:

Funny I've seen over the last 20 plus years hundred's that have been absolutely reliable and some that have not, of course I've seen Glocks fail and AK's too. To me I wonder how many lives the 1911 saved over the years thru 2 World Wars, the Korean War, Vietnam and its still in use today by some troops. It has the best ergonomics, the best trigger pull, the worst 1911 trigger I've ever dealt with was far superior to the trigger pull of any Glock I've shot, this goes for XD's that I have handled also.

Obviouly I'm a 1911 fanboy.

Guest benrook88

Looks like you probably could back pocket carry that gun.

Guest benrook88

You and me both OP, everyday I go to Buds and just stare at this Smith & Wesson 1911 2 tone and drool. Eventually I will buy it we will live happily ever after.

2lcmayo.jpg

Well either that one or a Kimber Raptor, haven't made up my mind yet ;)