Places to shoot in M'boro

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong forum, but couldn't find one more appropriate. I know there's an indoor range in the 'Boro, but the $20 range fee is a bit steep. Does anyone know of a safe, outdoor place in Rutherford county to pop off a few rounds? I'm itchin' to pop the cherry on a new S&W Sigma 9mm. :tough:

Edited by mj12
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mgjohn

Terry Walden in Manchester, he has a outdoor pistol and rifle range. It's about 3 miles off exit 105. Might give him a call with any questions. Have never used the rifle side, so don't know about full auto.

Terry Walden Gunsmith

1862 Sixteenth Model Road

Manchester, tn 37355-5243

Phone: (931) 728-0223

Thanks! I moved here from Knoxville about 3-years ago. What, or where, is Viola? :poop:

Viola Shooting Range in Downtown Viola, TN.

It's between McMinnville and Manchester. A whole lot closer to Murfreesboro than Manchester. Hundred acres or more of fresh air and sunshine. No RSO's to bug you. During the week, the owner is not always there to bother you. Just drop your $6 in the mailbox and shoot all day.

http://web3.userinstinct.com/40909607-viola-valley-shooting-range.htm

Edited by Westwindmike

I just joined the Charlie Haufman Mem. Range just south of Franklin. I live close to 840, so it's only about a 25 minute drive for me from Murfreesboro. $40 range fee once a year. He supplies spotting scopes, targets, sand bags, etc... and nobody ever bothers you. Go on a weekday morning, and the range is all yours. He has two pistol ranges, 25/50/100 yd. rifle range, and a 400 yd. range, as well as a skeet area.

To be honest, the only info I can give you is to google search "charlie haufman memorial range". He has a detailed web-site with all the info. My friend and I have been going at least once a week for the past three months and have definetely enjoyed it. We had been going to Stones River TWRA range, but got tired of their RSO's always looking over your shoulder. Hope that helps.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I ran across this when searching for a rifle range to shoot my soon to arrive AR. At the risk of sounding absolutely ignorant, which I guess is better safe than sorry...but in an un supervised shooting environment how does one secure a target down range without risking getting shot by a round from another shooter? Is there a pause in shooting for people to place targets etc? Thanks!

• Administrator
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I ran across this when searching for a rifle range to shoot my soon to arrive AR. At the risk of sounding absolutely ignorant, which I guess is better safe than sorry...but in an un supervised shooting environment how does one secure a target down range without risking getting shot by a round from another shooter? Is there a pause in shooting for people to place targets etc? Thanks!

General range etiquette is to call "CLEAR" and ensure that everyone has (a.) heard you, (b.) stopped shooting and (c.) secured their firearms and stepped away from them before you make your way down range. Typically they will join in setting up new targets at the same time.

I've shot at unsupervised ranges before and generally will leave if there are idiots present who refuse to abide by "big boy rules" and share the range. I have had only one instance where some asshat popped off a round while I was down range, at which point I screamed "CLEAR!" again, returned to the bench and informed the gentleman that if he did so again, I would presume that he was trying to do me harm and return fire.

A simple yell down range of "CLEAR" then make sure everyone hears you. After "clear" everyone sets the firearms down & heads down range to change targets. After everyone is satisfied with the targets & everyone is back at the fireing line a yell of "HOT" will bring it back to par.

Or yea what he said.... ^^^ :devil:

Guest m24driver

A decent range just north of Lavergne near J. Percy Priest lake is the TWRA'S Stones River Hunter Education Center. It's only open Friday Saturday and Sunday but is staffed by experienced range safety officers and only costs $5.50 per 2 hours. If it isn't busy they'll let you shoot all day. Here's a link from the sate website with directions:

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - Stones River Hunter Education Center

Thanks guys for the info. I think I am going to try out the Manchester range. I shot the AR at On Target (and I think rifle shooting may have replaced my love for pistol shooting), but I really want to test if farther than 25 yards. I bought a cheap red/green dot that I want to zero...before I start spending the big bucks on optics :(