Does a Courthouse or a Justice Building have to post a No Gun Sign?

Guest DeadEye

Guest DeadEye

This is strange and has me somewhat confused, had to go to the Jasper Tn Courthouse to pay my yearly property Taxes on land we own there, so i am in Jasper 1 X a yr.

Walked in the Courthouse as always and No Guns allowed Signs to be seen, but then i had to go to the Police station and seems it has been since 2004 in the new Jasper Justice Building.

On the front door was a No Smoking Sign, but then i had to go through a Metal detector unit, which seemed odd to me.

I dont usually have any dealings with the Law, but simply was suprised that in the Justice Bld there was nothing posted, weird thing is their Justice Bld is a all in one set up from Police station,Courtrooms etc.

I do know there is no law to keep one from carrying in a Police Station, but the Justice Bld thing seems to get folks mixed up.

Since Jasper has a Courthouse and now also a Justice Bld.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DeadEye

I knew Fed Bld were Off Limits, however a Sheriff's Office or a Police Station are legal to Carry, as far as i always heard.

Strange that the Dept of Motor Vehicles does post a sign when one goes for a Drivers license?

Only Federal Buildings are off limits and exempt from posting.

All other City, Country, or State buildings must post.

You can't carry into a courtroom while court is in session, but you can carry in the building that houses the courtroom, unless posted, or unless it is a federal building, housing federal courtrooms.

- OS

You can't carry into a courtroom while court is in session, but you can carry in the building that houses the courtroom, unless posted, or unless it is a federal building, housing federal courtrooms.

- OS

If you walk into the City-County building in Knoxville (local city and county courts and government offices) you'll go through an airport-style metal detector. It is not "properly posted" and I dare anyone to go through it carrying.

Guest DeadEye

- OS

That is what i thought! Just weird that the Justice Bld only had a No Smoking sign on outside and a Deputy next to a walk though Metal Detector and he also had a Wand on the Table!

That is what i thought! Just weird that the Justice Bld only had a No Smoking sign on outside and a Deputy next to a walk though Metal Detector and he also had a Wand on the Table!

Perhaps they "consider" that whole Justice Bldg. a courtroom, I don't know.

Perhaps they just do it "because they can".

You could probably make a stink if it's that important to you.

Or at least talk to the city attorney and find their point of view; you might make them have to post a conforming sign (and maybe become a Person Of Interest, like Kwik :taunt:.)

But seriously, the TN Statutes do NOT make police stations off limits, or "justice centers". Matter of fact, I've carried in the only police station I've had occasion to frequent in the last couple of years.

The Knoxville City/County Building, which houses everything here, IS posted; you can't even carry a legal pocketknife in there.

- OS

Guest DeadEye

Like i had said i go to Jasper 1 X a yr and pay Taxes in the Courthouse and i know you cant carry in a Courthouse even though they never had signs or metal detectors there!

But this time i had to go to the Sheriff/Police Station and report some property stolen, yrs ago when i had to report a theft they had a Police station/jail and i had to go there.

Buty they closed it down and i was told to go to the Justice Bld.

I honestly did not know what a Justice Bld is?

Did not think it also has the Courthouse in it butas soon as i opened the Door and saw the Sheriff dep sitting there and saw i had to walk though a Metal detec. i sked if this is where to report stolen property since i wasnt sure and not from the Area, he said yes and i said OK let mego and get the Paperwork and i will be right back.

Went to the car and put up my gun got some tax papers and rolled them up and walked through the detector, didnt even have to put keys,phone,watch,belt in a basket or nothing and it never beeped???

Upon leaving found out the Justice Bld, is a one in all Unit.

Has Police station,courthouse,DA Office, judges chambers, court rooms and even jail cells!

I was kind of worried that i or someone whi did not know could have gotten in trouble for packing in a restricted Area and getting in trouble!

No i am not Voldemortt, but am somewhat upset about the situation, since it easily could have turned out bad for me!

Wonder what would have happened if inside and i would have said let me go back out and put up my gun?????:cool:

Guest 270win

The state law makes it against the law to carry inside a room during a judicial proceeding. There is no law against carrying a handgun in a courthouse like some states. Now the problem is a lot of locations have metal detectors and do not store guns for folks. These type buildings should offer storage facilities for people who have business to do, so they do not leave handguns unattended in cars.

I have carried in city, county, and state buildings in TN. I have taken my wife to jury duty into a county building in downtown Memphis...but i didn't dare set foot in the room where the jury duty selection was going on. The building did not have metal detectors..and I was perfectly legal. No way was I leaving my gun in my car and walking a mile through downtown Memphis without it.

Guest DeadEye

Well i dont know about all that, but i do know whenever i had to go to the Chatt Courthouse for Jury Duty or Business or even to have a will probated, which is in a seperate Building in Chatt. one cant open the door and go more than 10 feet without having to go through a metal detector!

There is no place in Chatt town where 1 could store a Gun except in a Car!

Guest hoss6175

I know a few guy's that will help you with gun storage while your in the Fed. Buildings, Court House, DMV or where ever you are they don't mind at all. just leave in car and they will pick them up for you. and don't worry about your gun before they pick them up LEO's will be glad to watch your car for you they have nothing better to do.