Visiting Kentucky

My wife and I will be visiting Kentucky over the weekend and I'm wanting to know what we should do in regards to CCW there with our TN permits. Is there some entity we should notify? I thought about calling the KY state police headquarters to notify them. I'm not clear on what is required. Seems like I remember our permit class instructor telling us that we weren't required to notify anyone in a reciprocity state. I'd rather be on the safe side though, just in case we got in a self defense situation while up there in their state. It would probably look better on paper if the proper authorities had been notified of our presence there.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

No no no no... you don't have to do anything special. Your permit is valid in KY. Go forth and enjoy the Bluegrass State. Just keep it out of places that are licensed as BARS. Places that serve alcohol and food, like Logan's, Chilis, etc. are all good to go as Kentucky has common sense and allows people to go armed in such places provided that they don't imbibe themselves.

Guest db99wj
No no no no... you don't have to do anything special. Your permit is valid in KY. Go forth and enjoy the Bluegrass State. Just keep it out of places that are licensed as BARS. Places that serve alcohol and food, like Logan's, Chilis, etc. are all good to go as Kentucky has common sense and allows people to go armed in such places provided that they don't imbibe themselves.

You beat me to the punch! Had to relicensed my PDF software due to my laptop being reformatted.

Headed to KY in the next week or so as well!

• Administrator

I can't even imagine how that phone conversation would go.

Citizen: Hello, State Police? Hi. I'm going to be in your state next week and I wanted you to know that I'm going to have a gun with me. Kthanx. {click}

State Police: Aw sh*t ... put out a BOLO for Leonard Embody.

:)

Apologies to the original poster. I'm not making fun of you, promise. :D

Guest db99wj

Citizen: Hello, State Police? Hi. I'm going to be in your state next week and I wanted you to know that I'm going to have a gun with me. Kthanx. {click}

report.gif

:D

Not meaning to sound rude in any way.....but...

How in the world would ever even get the idea you were supposed to notify anyone?

Now if you mean to notify a LEO that has stopped you etc that you are armed.... that is different. Some states require it, some don't...to be on the safe side I always would when out of state.

But as far as calling ahead.......who would you call, why, what you expect to be done?

I mean I know LEOs notify when they are going into one county from another, if they are going to be doing some type of official duties, but that is way, way, WAY a whole different ball of wax.

Not meaning to sound rude in any way.....but...

How in the world would ever even get the idea you were supposed to notify anyone?

Now if you mean to notify a LEO that has stopped you etc that you are armed.... that is different. Some states require it, some don't...to be on the safe side I always would when out of state.

But as far as calling ahead.......who would you call, why, what you expect to be done?

I mean I know LEOs notify when they are going into one county from another, if they are going to be doing some type of official duties, but that is way, way, WAY a whole different ball of wax.

Well, when I took my first permit class back around 2003, we were taught you needed to call and let the state know you were going to be visiting as a CCW permit holder crossing into their state. I kinda wondered that same thing about who you would call. I didn't make it up though. I remember that because that's what I was taught the first time I took the permit class. My sister-in-law who we're going to visit actually said to me on the phone yesterday that if we were gonna be packin' we needed to call and let *them* know, whoever them *is*, before crossing the state line. So, she didn't just pull that outta her rear end, and I didn't either. We've both heard something about this requirement or we wouldn't even know to think of it. So, that's why I'm asking.

Well, when I took my first permit class back around 2003, we were taught you needed to call and let the state know you were going to be visiting as a CCW permit holder crossing into their state. I kinda wondered that same thing about who you would call. I didn't make it up though. I remember that because that's what I was taught the first time I took the permit class. My sister-in-law who we're going to visit actually said to me on the phone yesterday that if we were gonna be packin' we needed to call and let *them* know, whoever them *is*, before crossing the state line. So, she didn't just pull that outta her rear end, and I didn't either. We've both heard something about this requirement or we wouldn't even know to think of it. So, that's why I'm asking.

My bad....I didn't notice the reference about the instructor in the first post, although it seemed you weren't sure if that was the source or not. Then got caught up in the other post.

Of all of the misinformation I have heard of instructors giving out...this has to be about the furthest out there I've heard of yet......

Care to share where you took your class?

Naaaah. I appreciate the confirmation. There is nothing on KY's permit page that says anything about a contact requirement for out of state visitors with permits in other states. So, we'll just happily go our way. It will be nice to be able to go into a restaurant that serves alcohol without having to disarm. It appears that only two requirements for legal carry in KY are: don't drink at the same time, and don't sit in the bar area of the restaurant. TN lawmakers need to get with the program.

thats just awesome right there :puke: ROFL

My bad....I didn't notice the reference about the instructor in the first post, although it seemed you weren't sure if that was the source or not. Then got caught up in the other post.

Of all of the misinformation I have heard of instructors giving out...this has to be about the furthest out there I've heard of yet......

Care to share where you took your class?

The class back around 2002-2003 was somewhere around Cookeville. I don't remember exactly to be honest. I let my first permit expire a few years ago and just got through the rig-o-muh-roe of getting another one. My wife said she remembers the instructor we had recently saying you didn't have to contact anyone. But, you know how it is when you here one thing from one person, and the opposite from another.

Guest 270win

I don't know of a law that prohibits having a drink in KY while carrying on a license concealed or carrying in the open without a license. Not many states flat out prohibit having A drink...and I don't see it in Ky's laws. I do know you can carry knucks, switchblades, blackjacks, other sorts of fun weapons in KY when there if you have a handgun carry permit.

Guest 270win

Tennessee is an oddball when it comes to rifles and shotguns. Most of the surrounding states, including Kentucky, don't really regulate the carrying of rifles and shotguns. You probably can have a full mag and the chamber loaded...just check and see if the rifle/shotgun has to be unconcealed in Kentucky....b/c Kentucky makes it an offense to CONCEAL weapons.

When I used to live in Arkansas I frequently had a loaded shotgun/rifle in my vehicle. I never heard of this silliness of empty chamber...empty magazine...separate ammo from a long gun crap..gotta have a permit for just a loaded mag like in TN...that is one of my few complaints about this state....Heck minors can have them loaded in my home state.

You also have to remember that most of the surrounding states, except Alabama, allow some form of loaded handguns in cars without a license...again making TN the odd ball out. That was strange to me when moving here b/c I frequently had a pistol in my car back home legally starting at age 18.