home defense shotgun choice?

Guest goomba

Guest goomba

My brother is looking into getting a shotgun for home defense.

his choices have come down to an 870 express or a maverik (made by mossberg)

I'm trying to talking him into a mossberg 500/590

FYI, he lives in Charlotte NC now, and due to family obligations, his wife and kid, he is on a very tight budget.

what suggestions do ya'll have?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mikedwood

The 870 and the Mossberg 500 are both great. About any add on part made for one is avalible for the other. I think the Maverik takes the Mossberg parts so it would be good also.

Can't go wrong with any of them.

Mossberg 590 or a Savage double barrel. I recently saw the Savage and was think to get it just for the looks. But I already have a coach gun that looks similar. Norinco also makes a knock off of the 870 at a cheaper price. The mariner version of either the 590 or the 870 were my preference.

Guest mgjohn

All good choices. Go with the cheapest and spend some money on practice ammo. Main diffrence in Maverick and Mossy 500 is the single pump rail on the Maverick.

Guest 10mm4me

870...A darn good choice. I do love the Benelli Supernova tactical which can be had for about $100 more. Or about the same if u find a good used one.

The Maverick is assembled (made) in America with some parts being outsourced to Mexico. It is still a Mossberg product and any buttstock that will fit a Mossy 500 will fit the Maverick 88. Most Mossy 500 barrels will fit the Maverick. The Security models look good (IMO) and launch the same pellets/slugs downrange with the same effectiveness as a Mossberg 500. IMO, your brother would be just as well off - probably better off - buying the Maverick and then using the extra cash to buy shotgun shells so he can pattern various brands/loads and become familiar with the tool.

My Security 88 has the 20 inch barrel which means the factory extended tube can hold one more round than the 18 1/2 inch barrel. I added a simple sling (just so I don't have to put the shotgun down if I need to use both hands for something) and an inexpensive weapon light w/ remote switch and consider it good to go.

Image2.jpg

Guest smileyguy

I don't want to knock a gun that I have never shot, but I have handled Mavericks and the forearm just feels very flimsy. I have heard many good things about them, but they feel really cheap. I prefer Mossberg over Remington, but I chose the 870 clone Hawk 982 (basically the same as the Pardner Pump). They go for about the same as the Maverick but feel MUCH more solid and the Hawk 982 comes with ghost ring sights. I've had no problems with mine. GREAT gun for the price.

Of course you can't go wrong with the 870 or 500. Since budget is a concern, you may look around and find one used for under $300.

The reason is the slide only has one rail/rod as mgjohn stated .

the action and barrels are the same as the 500.If I'm not mistaken the safety is located on the trigger guard on the Maverick rather than on top like the Mossberg. I was given one as Christmas present after they first came out back when I was in high school. Great gun the forearm just flexes a lil because of the single rail it never had a problem lots of dove and crow taken with that gun a few clays too.

Any functioning shotgun will be sufficient. I use a Winchester 1300.

To me, it boils down to the round. I go with Federal LE Tactical 2 3/4, 9 Pellet, OO Buck. I comes with a Flitecontrol Wad that will hold the 9 Pellets in a 4 inch group at 10 meters. It doesn't matter the choke of the shotgun when using this round, because the FC wad acts as the choke.

Federal manufactures this in two versions, a low-recoil and a full-power. The difference in recoil is significantly noticeable, but the velocity is a difference of less than 200 fps. It has a solid brass head and copper-plated shot.

This stuff is perfect for home defense and offers the most predictable pattern in all buckshot. Perfect for fire-control within the home. No flyers and it will disembowel an intruder immediately.

The mavericks used to have only one action bar but now are coming with 2. the biggest difference is as mentioned the location of the safety. The mavericks are not drilled and tapped for a rail some of the 500 models are and some aren't.(I think it's the A models aren't). The reason I think the forearm on the mavericks is flimsy is because they are completely plastic. The majority if not all the 500's have some kind of steel insert in the forearm that gives it a different feel. One thing to consider is whether or not you're going to put a pistol grip on it. I don't like the location of the 500 safety because it's not easily accesible with a PG.

Have a Rem 870 and sort of like it. Dislikes: placement of the safety. Mossberg's is in a much better spot. Reassembly of the forend on the 870 is a pain in the butt. I've not experienced the Mossy's, so I can't compare. Otherwise, it's a good reliable gun. But...

I should have done a bit more homework before I bought this one.

Guest AmericanWorkMule

I've been thinking the Mossberg 930 combo 18.5" and 28" would be a good first shotgun.

Do any of you guys know where to find them? I've just noticed them on the internet

85325.jpg

Guest Broomhead

I use a 12ga 870 Wingmaster, 20in smooth-bore slug barrel, ATI 4-shot mag extender, custom pistol grip. I have yet to find a good sling configuration for it, but I will. I pick this up in a standard shotgun configuration for 200 bucks, and did all the customizing myself.

CustomPistolGrip1.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Guest strelcevina

i wouldn't use my shoot gun for Home Defense only for one reson.

i was inside home When shotgun was discharged. you go instantly def .

cant hear S@@t.

i cant tolerate that. so i stick with handgun. :)

Guest smileyguy
I've been thinking the Mossberg 930 combo 18.5" and 28" would be a good first shotgun.

I'd stick with a pump for your first shotty. I sold my 930SPX model because of frequent ftf and some fte. A pump is more reliable and requires less maintenance.

i wouldn't use my shoot gun for Home Defense only for one reson.

i was inside home When shotgun was discharged. you go instantly def .

cant hear S@@t.

i cant tolerate that. so i stick with handgun. :P

Shotgun is far superior to a handgun for home defense. I'll take the risk of not being able to hear over living to see another day. Plus, the body compensates when it is under extreme duress. I doubt any permanent hearing damage would result from having to discharge your 12 gauge indoors.

Mossberg 500A, rescued from a cornfield after a tornado. cleaned up, new springs, new 18 1/2" bbl, Hogue overmold stock, LimbEaze Pad , Trijicon front bead. back on active duty in bedrack as primary HD. Old warriors die hard!

D0A8CD086EFE4F8D84D8ACB85131177A.jpg

You can get the H&R Pardner Pump which is an 870 clone made by the same company that owns Remington for under 200. Can't beat that IMO.

+1.

Or for that same $200 maybe an IAC/Norinco Hawk 982 if he might want the ghost ring sights (ghost rings will cost $80+ alone...).

Either way everything made for an actual 870 aside from replacement barrels will work on either, and their trigger guards are made out of honest to goodness steel instead of plastic on the lower end 870's, FWIW in the Pardner's case, I've heard their chamber/uppers are actually built better and are more robust than any available on a Remy at any price.

You can get the H&R Pardner Pump which is an 870 clone made by the same company that owns Remington for under 200. Can't beat that IMO.

I keep one of these in my bedroom loaded and ready to go with 00 buck. I have put her through the paces and she goes bang every time you pull the trigger.