Restaurant Carry Bill

Guest oldfella

Guest Ravendove

Also, I'm not saying make jail sentences or fines higher for permit holders than non permit holders. I just don't see how someone who's ok with getting drunk while carrying should be given their permit back after three years. Obviously, a permit can't be taken away from someone who doesn't have it to begin with, but that's not really what I'm asking.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I'm not saying make jail sentences or fines higher for permit holders than non permit holders. I just don't see how someone who's ok with getting drunk while carrying should be given their permit back after three years. Obviously, a permit can't be taken away from someone who doesn't have it to begin with, but that's not really what I'm asking.

What ARE you asking?

- OS

Guest Ravendove

I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone else think three years is too short a time to have a carry permit suspended if convicted of carrying while intoxicated?

And thanks, by the way, for pointing out the TCA for me.

I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone else think three years is too short a time to have a carry permit suspended if convicted of carrying while intoxicated? ...

Well, to be precise, the proposed amendment doesn't mandate the 3 year suspension for merely being under the influence just anywhere - it is for being under the influence in a biz that sells booze for consumption.

I have no doubt that lots of people carry while drunk or stoned frequently, both those with and without HCP. Probably HCP holders would have a lower % of that, but the number is still probably numerically high for HCP holders too. I base that on the simple mathematical frequency of alcoholism in society.

To answer your question, it doesn't much matter to me whether they suspend HCP for this not at all, for three years, or five, or life, as I think it's statistically insignificant as far as the public safety is concerned. It's just another touchy-feely stroke for these Wimps In Nashville to hopefully not piss off some of their liberal constituency as much while claiming to be 2A friendly.

- OS

Guest HexHead

To answer your question, it doesn't much matter to me whether they suspend HCP for this not at all, for three years, or five, or life, as I think it's statistically insignificant as far as the public safety is concerned. It's just another touchy-feely stroke for these Wimps In Nashville to hopefully not piss off some of their liberal constituency as much while claiming to be 2A friendly.

- OS

Bingo as is this law in the first place. It's already illegal to carry in public without a permit. It's also already illegal to consume alcohol and to be intoxicated while carrying a firearm. Really, why do we even need this damn bill at all?

Guest pws_smokeyjones
Bingo as is this law in the first place. It's already illegal to carry in public without a permit. It's also already illegal to consume alcohol and to be intoxicated while carrying a firearm. Really, why do we even need this damn bill at all?

So we can go eat at someplace other than Shoneys, Cracker Barrel or fast food and not have to change our lifestyle to do so?

So we can go eat at someplace other than Shoneys, Cracker Barrel or fast food and not have to change our lifestyle to do so?

Hell, chances are they're gonna be 90% legally posted, so what have you gained?

- OS

Were they 90% posted last year?

The ones I would have frequented were about 30% posted. Most not compliantly, of course.

And it would probably have increased, but statute got whacked pretty shortly on.

With only the slash/gun decal required, and with efforts of various orgs, yeah, I'd say it could approach 90%.

- OS

Were they 90% posted last year?

Maybe not just restaurants, but there are TONS of places that currently have illegal signs that will suddenly become legal.

Sucks, really.

Maybe not just restaurants, but there are TONS of places that currently have illegal signs that will suddenly become legal.

Sucks, really.

Yep, and especially bad for me -- I do at least 50 % of my day to day biz/shopping on foot. Pop into all kinds of places. Doesn't give me the oops, go back to car, or drive to another store options.

- OS

Guest 270win

OhShoot,

I completely understand where you are coming from. If you are in a downtown area on foot, it can be difficult to walk a long distance to return a firearm to a secure location in your own vehicle...or another problem is...well what if you didn't drive in your own vehicle? I'm not about to leave my handgun in an aquaintance's car.

Legislation is never very ideal, including this bill with amendments....I am from a state where I had to conceal by law....so I am used to having to cover my handgun or I could have problems in Arkansas. I am glad that we have the Constitution that protects us from unreasonable search and seizure. I am also glad I have a small handgun and good holsters to choose from, depending on what I wear. As my concealed handgun license instructor said, "These 'rules' are made by idiot legislators that have no idea how to enforce them when people are required to conceal by law unless they walk through metal detectors...they are nothing but feel good laws...pointless...rarely enforced in practice". It is sad that the legislature forces HONEST people who have PAID the state for a permit to make decisions like "Do I protect myself/family, leave my gun somewhere it can be stolen by a crook, or do I have enough money to pay a five hundred dollar fine in a worst case situation?"

Guest johnsonc22

OK just letting you know and I am not trying to advertise......I run Sonny's BBQ in Knoxville, TN and I have had to tell Carry permit holders to go get there gun. They came into the restaurant with an empty holster...I went up to him and asked him to get his gun. I told him that I believe in our right and asked him to exercise his! He thanked me and went to his car to get it.

Guest Old goat

You know, its stupid as hell, I had dinner at a place in Jackson that served last night. There were no signs, I was not armed at the time (locked in truck), didn't have a drink. Was I "LEGAL" to have a drink while I was in there, yes. Would I have been when I got back in my truck, no. The law is that I can't have any thing while carrying, we don't other laws to tell us that.

OK just letting you know and I am not trying to advertise......I run Sonny's BBQ in Knoxville, TN and I have had to tell Carry permit holders to go get there gun. They came into the restaurant with an empty holster...I went up to him and asked him to get his gun. I told him that I believe in our right and asked him to exercise his! He thanked me and went to his car to get it.

Too bad more establishment Owners do not see it that way.

Thanks for having the fortitude to stand up for good sense.

...The law is that I can't have any thing while carrying, we don't other laws to tell us that.

Well, actually, that is wise, but it is not the law now, nor under the proposed amendment.

"Under the influence" will retain same gray shade.

- OS

You run the one here in West Knox? Gotta say it's probably my fav restaurant in Knoxville. Can't beat your all's BBQ. Will be glad when a carry law is passed again so we can carry there again.

Glad to know it's so carry friendly!

Matthew

Guest 270win

I believe it is. If it actually becomes law you might be carrying that Kahr 380 a lot just like I carry my snub to avoid that sign fine!

Due to the flooding in Nashville, there was no House Floor Session yesterday or today (They did not have a quorum). They are supposed to meet tomorrow at 1:00 p.m. (Assuming they can get a quorum) Any speculation on how this is going to affect the agenda?