Restaurant Carry Bill

Guest oldfella

Its not unusual for the House and Senate calendars for the next week to be blank on Tuesday, IIRC...especially as the number of committee meetings dwindles to feed legislation to the floor. But there has been precious little so far RE the budget, and I'd think, with the introduction of a GOP proposal that differs quite a bit from the Dems' still supposed to happen this week, that they'll have a hard time squeezing all the debate and goings-on into Wed and Thursday of this week.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Usagi
Since there is no date in the bill and SB 3012 says...

My guess would be as soon as the votes are signed off on by the respective Speakers.

Just like Bonneyman's order went into effect when she banged her gavel, I'd say for all practical purposes, as soon as the 2nd chamber that votes gavel gets banged too.

Both SB 3012 and HB 3025 were written to take effect July 1. Link: http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/106/Bill/SB3012.pdf

Guest Usagi
Wasn't that the original bill? Because what I posted came from the 1st Senate amendment.

I am not 100% certain - what I linked was form the State of Tennessee website. That is certainly not foolproof.

I don't much care any more.

Seems the only advantage to the whole thing might be in a worse case scenario of paying $500 for a Class B misdemeanor rather than facing Class A 'meanor.

That is, I mean, IF someone packing should just happened to take his mom to a booze infested restaurant this Mother's Day as opposed to carrying past the no gun sticker they'll have up for the next one.

- OS

I am not 100% certain - what I linked was form the State of Tennessee website. That is certainly not foolproof.

See below.

Amendment One to SB3012 states:

SECTION 7. This act shall take effect upon becoming a law, the public welfare requiring it.

The original bill on the previous link did say July 1, but this amendment rewrote the original bill.

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/106/Amend/SA1236.pdf

Not aimed at anyone...we have all done it...

But that is one problem that has occurred before....many times amendments are introduced that completely rewrite the original bill, but when the bill is discussed most don't go past the original bill on the state's website. Of course you also have to check to see if the amendments have passed to know if the apply....

Its not unusual for the House and Senate calendars for the next week to be blank on Tuesday, IIRC...especially as the number of committee meetings dwindles to feed legislation to the floor. But there has been precious little so far RE the budget, and I'd think, with the introduction of a GOP proposal that differs quite a bit from the Dems' still supposed to happen this week, that they'll have a hard time squeezing all the debate and goings-on into Wed and Thursday of this week.

I think you're right.

A funny side note is....we may have China to thank for Restaurant carry in TN. Since otherwise I'm sure Phil would wait till the absolute last day and hope the legislature had adjourned.....

Guest HexHead

A funny side note is....we may have China to thank for Restaurant carry in TN. Since otherwise I'm sure Phil would wait till the absolute last day and hope the legislature had adjourned.....

In that case, the first place I'll go "legally" again is a Chinese restaurant.

Guest friesepferd
In that case, the first place I'll go "legally" again is a Chinese restaurant.

lol. honestly, i dont know of many chinese restaurants that serve alcohol. one of the reasons i eat there a decent amount.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

The likes of Phil Bredesen make me come close to losing my Christian attitude very quickly. That man is a political hack with absolutely no true regard for the citizens. He is obviously bucking for some Federal position in the future where he can continue his smug faced power grabbing political hackery. Good riddance to this clown when we final are relieved of him.

I have read this same story in four different Tennessee papers today. Not much detail and leaves more questions than answers:

Bredesen to wait on veto decision on guns in bars | jacksonsun.com | The Jackson Sun

Bredesen to wait on veto

decision on guns in bars

May 12, 2010

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Democratic Gov. Phil

Bredesen will wait to decide whether to veto a new

bill to allow handgun permit holders to bring their

weapons into bars and restaurants that serve

alcohol.

Bredesen vetoed a similar measure last year flanked

by law enforcement and prosecutors who opposed

the bill, but he was easily overriden by the

Legislature. The law was later declared

unconstitutionally vague, so lawmakers this year

passed a new version to try to eliminate any

ambiguities.

Last year’s version sought to exclude

establishments that predominantly serve alcohol,

but Tennessee makes no legal distinction between

bars and restaurants. This year’s bill makes no

exclusions for where guns can be carried, as long

as permit holders don’t consume alcohol.

Bredesen appeared unpersuaded by the changes to

the bill: “It hasn’t been made any better.â€

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I would love to hear Bredesen try to honestly explain how denying HCP holders to carry ANYWHERE actually makes TN streets safer. He can't of course but it would be a fun show to watch him try.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

My money is that he vetos it on Thursday evening in a combined press conference about his trip to China, just in time to make the evening news but AFTER the legislation meets on thursday.

Guest HexHead
that should tell ya wha ya need to know.... now im torn, i bet he vetos it at the lst minute

I suppose there's nothing keeping him from slipping it in his briefcase and taking it to China with him to run the clock down?

I guess we can hope he gets ****ed by the time/day change and misses the window.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
I suppose there's nothing keeping him from slipping it in his briefcase and taking it to China with him to run the clock down?

I guess we can hope he gets ****ed by the time/day change and misses the window.

I think Bredesen carries a man-purse instead of a briefcase and its only big enough to hold his political dancing shoes.

Guest HexHead

Phil is the consummate politician. Why am I getting this sinking feeling we're about to take it up the ass....AGAIN?

If the clock runs down, we can lay this at the feet of Jackson and Todd. Back in November, we were assured "we'll get this fixed in January". Well, here we are, 5 minutes to midnight and still with no clue if we're going to have a law this year or if we'll need to start all over again in January. Again. All we've gotten is a lot of delay, delay, delay.

And I really don't think legislators or the people are going to stand for trying to deal with this for a 3rd session in a row.

I've asked this many times, including in emails to Jackson and my State Rep., what's going on with the appeal of Bonneyman's decision??????

Guest HexHead

Seek and ye shall find. I just got off the phone with the AG's office. Yes, they have the case. No, it hasn't been assigned or a date set with the Court of Appeals yet. So basically, nothing is happening with it.

Back in January or early February, Speaker Williams wanted to wait to see what happened with the appeal before proceeding with any legislation. We were screwed right from the get go.

Edited by HexHead
I would love to hear Bredesen try to honestly explain how denying HCP holders to carry ANYWHERE actually makes TN streets safer. He can't of course but it would be a fun show to watch him try.

You will never hear that put forth.

That the Law as passed is Constitutional makes not one bit of difference to him.

The Legislature, being responsive to the People, have for two years attempted to put this into force simply has no bearing on Bredesn's thought process. We, the tax paying public, have no say in the matter, we are not Progressive, enlightened souls. Tennessee red necks do not know what is best for us.

lol. honestly, i dont know of many chinese restaurants that serve alcohol. one of the reasons i eat there a decent amount.

Most of the Chinese restaurants I go to have beer on the menu among the beverage choices. Even the little Chinese restaurant in Sweetwater and the one in Madisonville (the non-buffet restaurant which has better food) have beer. They don't have bar areas and I rarely see anyone having even one but they offer it so obviously carrying my firearm there would cause it to go rogue and start killing people left and right.

Most of the Mexican restaurants in this area have beer, too. Same with most of the barbecue joints and many of the mom and pop 'American' food joints. In fact, it can be difficult to find any place around here that doesn't offer at least Budweiser along with sweet tea and Coca Cola. That is why I find the 'no carry where alchohol is served, period' law to be ridiculous and overly restrictive.

Those 'hole in the wall' Chinese, Mexican, mom and pop, etc. restaurants are the types of places we eat out at the most and, as I have said in other threads, those are the places that I most want to be able to legally carry so I don't have to either leave my firearm at home while we are out, period, or leave it unattended in a vehicle. Further, I figure that those places will be the least likely to post a sign to prohibit carry. Exactly none of the places that serve alchohol and that we visit the most posted last year. I could be happy with never stepping foot in a TGI O'Applechili's, again, and none of the larger chains (Texas Roadhouse, for instance) that we like posted last year, either. The fact that Wild Wing Cafe posted was a disappointment but we don't go there more than a couple of times a year, anyway - I make pretty good chicken wing/tenders sauces, myself. If places post, I will simply avoid them - and if I still 'need' to go there for some reason (for instance, if my friends want me to meet them there, etc.) then at least disarming will be the exception and not the rule.

Edited by JAB
Guest db99wj
Most of the Chinese restaurants I go to have beer on the menu among the beverage choices. Even the little Chinese restaurant in Sweetwater and the one in Madisonville (the non-buffet restaurant which has better food) have beer. They don't have bar areas and I rarely see anyone having even one but they offer it so obviously carrying my firearm there would cause it to go rogue and start killing people left and right.

Most of the Mexican restaurants in this area have beer, too. Same with most of the barbecue joints and many of the mom and pop 'American' food joints. In fact, it can be difficult to find any place around here that doesn't offer at least Budweiser along with sweet tea and Coca Cola. That is why I find the 'no carry where alchohol is served, period' law to be ridiculous and overly restrictive.

Those 'hole in the wall' Chinese, Mexican, mom and pop, etc. restaurants are the types of places we eat out at the most and, as I have said in other threads, those are the places that I most want to be able to legally carry so I don't have to either leave my firearm at home while we are out, period, or leave it unattended in a vehicle. Further, I figure that those places will be the least likely to post a sign to prohibit carry. Exactly none of the places that serve alchohol and that we visit the most posted last year. I could be happy with never stepping foot in a TGI O'Applechili's, again, and none of the larger chains (Texas Roadhouse, for instance) that we like posted last year, either. The fact that Wild Wing Cafe posted was a disappointment but we don't go there more than a couple of times a year, anyway - I make pretty good chicken wing/tenders sauces, myself. If places post, I will simply avoid them - and if I still 'need' to go there for some reason (for instance, if my friends want me to meet them there, etc.) then at least disarming will be the exception and not the rule.

Most non fast food restaurants, here, serve some type of alcohol.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
There are now two meetings of different subcommittees of the House Gov Operations committee on the calendar for next Monday.

Please don't let it be that the Joint committee for General Welfare will have anything to do with over riding a veto. the Chair and Vice Chair will squash that in its tracks (Thelma Harper and Karen Camper).