1911 noob

Guest bob-e

thanks to those bastards Tungsten and Disney letting me shoot their 1911s. I now must have one. Been researching and now my head hurts, so I'm calling for back up. I know I want night sites, 4" barrel and to spend less than $800. I've come up with Springfield Champion. I went to 1911 forums and they made my head hurt worse. Any ideas here? I also need one stat, because I just sold my only carry pistol and I live in the hood.;)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Valkyrie
thanks to those bastards Tungsten and Disney letting me shoot their 1911s. I now must have one.

I know the feeling. My husband (Verbal) let me shoot his 1911, then decided to get a Wilson and was gonna give me the Kimber... then he went and shipped it away to put towards his Wilson. ;) I. must. have! lol

Guest Verbal Kint
... then he went and shipped it away to put towards his Wilson.

That said, I remember Hero Gear ending up with one or two very lightly used Kimber Pro CDP II (4") 1911's. Might want to give them a call, Bob-E, and see if they are still around for the taking. ;)

Guest Mugster

Its probably worth looking at a commander sized RIA model. Joe and the gang down at hero gear had one the last time i was there. Save a buck or 2.

I don't think you could go wrong with SA, either. I see them everywhere...and they are all on sale. Should be able to get a decent deal on one.

• Administrator
That said, I remember Hero Gear ending up with one or two very lightly used Kimber Pro CDP II (4") 1911's. Might want to give them a call, Bob-E, and see if they are still around for the taking. :lol:

Werd. And you want the one that Verbal owned. Internal extractor!

Guest Halfpint

IE > EE every time.

I love my Kimber, but my brother has already claimed it as his 21st birthday present. Anyway, after shooting a handful of Wilsons I know I must have one . . . nothing else can fill that Wilson CQB Compact-shaped hole in my heart.

As others have said, in the <$800 market, find a lightly used CDP or equivalent Springfield--both are very well-made and I've never had a customer tell me a problem out of either brand.

• Administrator

I'm going to own another Wilson at some point. I have my heart set on a CQB 5" in black. Maybe I can sell a kidney...

Bob-E if you decide to head down there soon and want company, give me a shout. I need to go pick up some 5.11 tacticool pants for a Christmas gift.

I'm going to own another Wilson at some point. I have my heart set on a CQB 5" in black. Maybe I can sell a kidney...

Bob-E if you decide to head down there soon and want company, give me a shout. I need to go pick up some 5.11 tacticool pants for a Christmas gift.

My preferred size is 32x34 btw... :lol:

Guest EasilyObsessed

Bob-E, not sure if you got a chance to shoot a fullsize 1911 as well, but if you want to hit up the range some night this week give me a shout. I have the same gun as Disney but in a fullsize version. Ill also bring out the M&P 45 if you want to try out another 45.

Edit: I would recommend a Series 1 Kimber if you can find one, a Smith, or a Springfield. I have had great customer service from all three companies.

And count me in for the next Hero Gear trip as long as it is after Christmas and my wallet has had a chance to recover. I dont think I have enough guns yet :rolleyes:

Right on, pm sent T. Where is Hero Gear?

Guest Todd@CIS

4" 1911 under $800?

IMO, look for a lightly used Kimber Series 1 ProCarry (alum frame) or Kimber Series 1 ProCarry SLE (steel frame). I've owned both and they were excellent.

I say this having also owned a SA Champion.

Guest Verbal Kint
Werd. And you want the one that Verbal owned. Internal extractor!

Yep. Internal extractor, ftw!

That Kimber Pro CDP II has only had 180 rounds through it, if I recall, correctly. I know Kimber recommends breaking them in, in groups of 150 in between cleaning, and I only shot about 30 more rounds through it than their mark.

Never had a single reliability issue with it. Only hiccup it ever experienced was due to my own carlessness. I switched my grip up during shooting and limp-wristed it... causing one, single, FTF. Otherwise it performed flawlessly the short time I owned it.

If Joe still has it at the shop, I'd definitely take a look at it. If it wasn't for catching a deal and stepping up into the Wilson Combat, I'd still happily own that Kimber and trust my life to it.

• Administrator
Right on, pm sent T. Where is Hero Gear?

They are in Winchester. About an hour and a half from Nashville proper. It's a decent haul but worth it if you're shopping for 1911s. :rolleyes:

As per my previous statement about the internal extractor vs the external extractor on a Kimber, let me clarify. I had zero problems with my external extractor "Generation 2" gun. But in order of preference, you really want the internal extractor. A Generation 1 gun is best, but the Generation 3 guns are just fine as well.

The big difference is that the Gen 1 guns don't use (as much) MIM internal parts whereas the Gen 3 guns do use MIM parts. This isn't as big a deal as some people make it out to be, but some folks prefer machined billet to cast metal.

Either of the CDPs that I and my brother traded in would be very good carry weapons. I'd just go for the one Kris had as opposed to the one I had, if you have the choice.

Guest Verbal Kint
What's the best way to get in touch with Joe?

You can pm the user "Hero Gear" on here... he usually checks his messages a couple times per day. Or you can contact him at:

http://www.hero-gear.com/

Hero-Gear LLC

521 South College Street

Winchester, TN. 37398

Phone: 931-962-4376

Fax: 931-962-4348

Email: Sales@hero-gear.com

Store Hours

Monday-Friday 9:00AM to 6:00PM

Saturday 9:00AM to 4:00PM

You can pm the user "Hero Gear" on here... he usually checks his messages a couple times per day. Or you can contact him at:

http://www.hero-gear.com/

Hero-Gear LLC

521 South College Street

Winchester, TN. 37398

Phone: 931-962-4376

Fax: 931-962-4348

Email: Sales@hero-gear.com

Store Hours

Monday-Friday 9:00AM to 6:00PM

Saturday 9:00AM to 4:00PM

I'd hit up the e-mail if I were you... they've been uber busy lately.

Try Joe@hero-gear.com or Dan@hero-gear.com if you want to be a little more personal than "Sales"... they'll get it either way.

If you have the 1911 fever, let's just say... Hero-Gear is full of cowbells.

**BRENT**