need opinions quick

Erik88

So I posted my paintball gun on ebay and I finally got a bid just a few hours ago. The auction ends in 1 hour. Just got an email from the bidder asking me to cancel his bid because he is looking for a different gun.

Am I obligated to do so? What would you guys do, I was really looking forward to selling this, the funds are going to a new XD. I would feel bad if I didn't cancel his bid, but at the same time, he shouldn't have bid on it if he didn't want it. I have a feeling he found a better deal and now wants to back out.

Need opinions asap

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyebedam

Honestly I'd just cancel his bid. He won't pay & all you can do is leave him negative feedback. It's not worth the headache you will put yourself through. Atleast that's how I look at it.

Also idk if you know this of not but paypal has been putting holds on alot of transactions lately. They will send you a email stating to send the item & they will reslease the funds only after the buyer leaves positive feedback or 21 days later. It's up to them. It has happened to me 3 times now & I have 100% feedback with about 75 transactions.

oops, answered too quick.

Sure, I'd cancel his bid.

I've done it many times, don't even care what reason the bidder gives.

No sense just getting into a hassle AFTER the auction.

Actually, I forget, CAN seller still cancel bid in the last hour? I know bidder can't.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Take it from an old eBay hand..don't ever cancel an auction to sell "under the table".

Besides karma, in ways you may not have considered, you can be nuked by eBay.

For one thing, if he first contacted you through eBay message system, and you cancel item, VERY easy to spot check.

Selling off eBay, while using eBay for the contact, is subject for your cancellation.

Also, for high dollar items, people HAVE been sued for breach of contract.

Just depends on whether you value your eBay account or not, in practical vein.

- OS

wait, you lost me Mac. Are you saying to cancel it or not? sorry, mind is racing at the moment

Honestly I'd just cancel his bid. He won't pay & all you can do is leave him negative feedback. ...

Nope. Sellers can NOT leave negative feedback for buyers anymore, period, as of a year and a half back or longer. Can only put in Non Paying Bidder Complaint to recover fees.

Bidder can leave seller neg, though, even if he didn't pay for item!

- OS

wait, you lost me Mac. Are you saying to cancel it or not? sorry, mind is racing at the moment

Forget that response, I typed in hurry, skimming your post.

Read my revised post, totally misunderstood your prob.

Yes, cancel bid (if you can).

- OS

Guest eyebedam
Nope. Sellers can NOT leave negative feedback for buyers anymore, period, as of a year and a half back or longer. Can only put in Non Paying Bidder Complaint to recover fees.

Bidder can leave seller neg, though, even if he didn't pay for item!

- OS

Oh yeah I forgot about how eBay decided to stick it to the sellers with that part.

I'd ask Ebay what to do. That's a weird one.

It's not unusual at all.

If you do much selling on eBay, folks cancel bids frequently. Although if they do much of it, they can get NARU'd.

Trouble here is that bidder can't cancel his own bid this close to end of auction.

Also, if guy "wins" auction, he can neg seller, whether justified or not, and unlikely eBay will remove it, they've really become anal about that.

Seller can NOT neg buyer, period,so you don't have any revenge power.

- OS

I gave up on eBay years ago. There has to be a better place to sell.

For most items, nobody's found it.

Your own website and Craig's List can do well for you, but only on certain items that you have no particular time frame on.

But eBay, for all its faults, is the 800 lb gorilla.

There isn't even a 200 lb. gorilla to compete.

- OS

He the only bidder?

Maybe you'll be surprised...if item is worth it, most all auctions have all the action in last 5 min.

- OS

yes, he is the only bidder. There are 4 people watching it though. I hope someone makes a bid. Only 34 minutes left:panic::hiding::panic:

yes, he is the only bidder. There are 4 people watching it though. I hope someone makes a bid. Only 34 minutes left:panic::hiding::panic:

Well, not knowing particulars of auction, if you set first bid quite high, the others may have seen it and given up when the other guy bid.

Or not.

Some may have set one of the auto bidders to whack at it automatically.

No way to know, especially since I don't know particulars of the auction, or anything about paint ball guns either.

All you can do is relist...one things pretty sure, if you only wind up with the one now canceled bid, starting price likely too high to item in and of itself, or too high to get enough folks interested to get the bid phenomenon rolling.

I assume you did research on completed auctions for same/similar gun to get an idea of price to begin with...

- OS

Well, not knowing particulars of auction, if you set first bid quite high, the others may have seen it and given up when the other guy bid.

Or not.

Some may have set one of the auto bidders to whack at it automatically.

No way to know, especially since I don't know particulars of the auction, or anything about paint ball guns either.

All you can do is relist...one things pretty sure, if you only wind up with the one now canceled bid, starting price likely too high to item in and of itself, or too high to get enough folks interested to get the bid phenomenon rolling.

I assume you did research on completed auctions for same/similar gun to get an idea of price to begin with...

- OS

Ya I feel like it was a pretty good starting price. It was easily $300-350 worth of gear. I started the bid at $80.

That was cheaper than most of the other guns on their and I was giving away all the gear with it too.

But oh well, like you said, I can always list it again. Thanks for the help!