.22 short cartridge in .22 LR. revolver?

Guest BEARMAN

Guest BEARMAN

I have a single action, German made, cowboy type revolver that's chambered for the .22 LR cartridge.

My question is this. Why can't you shoot longs or shorts in this revolver?

Is there some safety concerns, or some other reason I am unfamiliar with, to not fire the low powered cartridges in it?

I have a Marlin 39A lever rifle, and it will shoot all three type cartridges, without a hiccup.

So, will some of you Guru's weigh in on this "cartridge question" and help a brother out, as I have a bunch of .22 shorts I would like to shoot in it, if that's possible.

Mod's... if this is posted in the wrong section...please move it at your discretion.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean by .22 long? Are you talking about magnum? I am guessing the problem with shooting shorts is that the bullet would have to travel through the cylinder before reaching the barrel. If they weren't lined up just right that could be a problem. That is just my guess.

The only problem I know about with shooting shorts or longs in a revolver chambered for .22lr is that you need to clean it thoroughly or you may have problems seating the longer .22lr cartridges later. It's the same issue as firing .38spl in a .357 revolver.

Guest BEARMAN
Who said you can't?

No one, Greg...I just never heard you could, and the barrel is not stamped as such.

I am inclined to try it now that I've heard some of you guy's thoughts

Guest BEARMAN
What do you mean by .22 long? Are you talking about magnum?

Nope, the .22 long cartridge is in between the .22 short and the .22 long rifle cartridge.

They probably don't even make em anymore; however, I still have a handfull.

Guest BEARMAN

Thanks Guy's, for your input on this.

This question has been bugging me for awhile now.

I had a sneaking suspicion you could...but I've never heard anyone speak of it as an option with a .22 revolver before.

Yes...you can shoot them all day. There are actually a couple of manufacturers that still offer them. The most notable is CCI in their CB subsonic line.

The only problem that you may ever run into shooting them is a carbon ring that may make feeding long rifle ammo difficult unless you scrub it out with a brush and drill.

Yes...you can shoot them all day. There are actually a couple of manufacturers that still offer them. The most notable is CCI in their CB subsonic line....

CCI makes at least two different shorts, the subsonic you mention which is

CB Short (conical ball) - 29 grain lead round nose, 710 fps

and

Short HP (high velocity) - 27 grain copper plated hollow point, 1105 fps

- OS

you can shoot whatever .22 ( non magnum) you want out of that revolver.

But why? The shorter casing will most likely make the round less accurate as the bullet has to travel further to grab the rifling in the barrel. And isn't accuracy pretty much the whole point to shooting a gun?

When I shoot BP revolvers I fill the cylinder with powder as needed for the load then top off with corn meal to get the ball closer to the forcing cone. It definitely makes a difference in accuracy.

Guest 1817ak47
22sllr.jpgfrom what I remember, long has the same casing as a long rifle, just a shorter bullet head, and likely weighed less too. found a quick pic
Guest BEARMAN
you can shoot whatever .22 ( non magnum) you want out of that revolver.

But why? The shorter casing will most likely make the round less accurate as the bullet has to travel further to grab the rifling in the barrel. And isn't accuracy pretty much the whole point to shooting a gun?

I was interested in dispatching varmints on my trap line, and using the shorts that I already have on hand. Since I normally don't carry my long gun when checking the traps, it's usually the .22 revolver that gets the nod.

CCI makes at least two different shorts, the subsonic you mention which is

CB Short (conical ball) - 29 grain lead round nose, 710 fps

and

Short HP (high velocity) - 27 grain copper plated hollow point, 1105 fps

- OS

I am referring to the Longs...not the shorts.