MAK 90 ID And FSB Help

Guest KarlS

Guest KarlS

I just got a smokin deal on MAK 90. Got it for $400 with the Chote stock set installed along with the original wood sporter set and 3 - 30 rnd mags. It's the first time I've ever put one in my hands and I was very impressed with the quality and how smooth the action/trigger were. It has the original Chinese double hook trigger and in comparison to the Tapco's I have in my other AK's I might have to say it's better. I do have some questions that I can't seem to find in 2 days of research.

They claim that after the Clinton ban that all serial #'s on MAK 90's started with the year of import from 90-94 when they were not brought in any longer. In other words it may have a serial # of 912293 meaning imported in 91. Mine starts with 022xxx. What's up with the 022? What year of import is that?

Wierd too is after 1990 they were sporterized and stamped MAK90 Sporter right on the receiver. Mine does not have sporter on it but has NHM90 instead. Also wierd is left side says this:

NHMM90

MADE IN CHINA BY NORINCO

CSI ONT CA

The right side in the lower rear corner actually hidden by part of the stock is INTERSTATE ARMS

Sounds like two importer stamps to me. Interstate is in Billerica Ma right? Then CSI is in CA.

No Norinco symbol on bottom of receiver or on either side. Just the name stamp.

Also I have questions on the Front Sight Block. The barrels on these were supposed to be de-threaded. Some were some were not. Some had barrel nuts tack welded on. This one has a two inch sleave tack welded to the FSB. My question is this....Is this sleave screwed on then tack welded or are the threads turned off before the sleave is added? If it's tacked to the FSB and I tried to remove it would I have to cut the welds first or would the whole mess just come off by pressing off the FSB? My guess is the threads are still there and should screw off once the tacks are cut. I'd like to get this off and replace FSB and install original brake.

Plans are for an Ironwood stock set to get back to the pre ban stock configuration. I know about all the compliance crap just so we don't have to go down that road. Any help with this is greatly appreciated!!

Here are a few pics

FSB3.jpg

FSB4.jpg

MAK90markings.jpg

MAK90.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 70below

Yours looks and sounds like one of the models that was fitted with the "ban" features after it was built, and therefor as mentioned above, the serial number won't follow the "norm". Also, from the picture, consistent with that, it appears the NHM90 was a stamp over the location of the original markings.

Edit: NHM's had the sporter stocks, MAK90's had thumbhole stocks. I believe all MAK90's (at least that I've seen) have single hook triggers.

Edited by 70below
Guest Stonewall

You didn't get a MAK90, you got an NHM90!

Make sure you specify that when ordering the Ironwood.

Your original thumbhole should be a little slimmer and more ergonomic than on the MAK90.

Isn't the barrel a little longer than standard MAK? I think it was.

Nice rifles, wish I still had mine.

This page may help, good info on Chicom rifle, types, importers, history, etc.

Chinese made AK47 Varieties

Edited by Stonewall
Guest KarlS

Thanks guys for all the help. So far it sounds like there is a difference between the MAC 90 and NHM 90. Makes sense it was already in the country when the ban hit. Guess I have an oddball.

Stonewall thanks for that link. I don't know how I missed that one! It is exactly how it's described..an NHM90. After reading in the description it does sound as though the 2" piece is screwed on then tacked to the FSB. Easy fix! This one has a double hook chicom trigger still. Smooth. As much as I don't want to it will have to be replaced if I start messing with things. It's a pretty easy 3 part gain to change it out.

Here's the description:

Bubba's Review:

Cal. 7-62x39 mm Stamped Receiver, "Post Ban rifle". I know people who own these and like them very much, I have shot them and like them. Very accurate, do not own one as off this review, but I would at the right price (assuming it still had some life in it)

Manufacturer Description:

They were imported in 7.62x39mm and 5.56x45mm(223)calibers. Stamped receivers with 16" barrels that were threaded with a muzzle nut tack welded on. The muzzle nut looked like piece of pipe 2 to 3 inches long. The thumbhole stocks were made by Bishop or Boyd of hackberry wood. Which ever company mfg. the stock can be seen by their name imprinted on the black plastic butt plate.

These thumbhole stocks are the most comfortable ones on any post ban Chinese rifle imported. They are attached to the rifle by screw through the tang on the top of the thumbhole stock and a pistol grip screw and nut. The pistol grip screw is longer than the standard AK pistol grip screw

Quite a lot of the NHM-90 rifles imported had under folding stock receivers. The holes in each side of the receiver were covered by a steel plate that were held on by a rivet. A long rivet passed through the receiver and held the plates on. The rear of the receiver was closed up and a tang was added to attach the thumbhole stock. The 223 caliber rifles use the same magazines as the MAK-90 rifles.