I really need a job if anyone in East TN needs work done.

I know the job market sucks right now my step dad is out of work and my family of six is living on just my mothers income, i really need to get a job but im having a lot of trouble here in east tennessee. Im 17 and have a way to get to work everyday at any time, I'm willing to do any job if it pays, I'm not highly knowledgeable in carpentry but i can do the basics.

Any advice would be appreciated, i miss the days when it was hard to get teenagers to get a job, now i would rather be working than hanging out with friends.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 6.8 AR

It's getting time to cut grass. It's good to see you want to help your family out

during rough times. Bang on doors and be competitive. Don't limit yourself to carpentry. Be creative.

Good for you man. As 6.8 mentioned, you may need to get creative. Cleveland and Chatt are tough right now.

You might try Randstad in Cleveland. They hire for whirlpool and temp gigs.

When I was in college I started a come to your home car detailing service. I made up flyers and passed them out in well to do neighborhoods. All the home needed to supply was the water/electricity. I brought the hose, vacuum, extension cord and everything else you need to do a great job and it was easy to make 100+ in a day and this was in the 80's.

Just get an idea and make it work. Don't wait for someone to give you a job in this economy.

Guest mikedwood

At 17 you have a young back and can help move things around and what have you. A lot of people need that so try to get the word out that you will help for an hour, day or week.

Make sure when you do something for someone you are trustworthy, careful, respectful and friendly and you should have plenty of work pretty soon.

At 17 you have a young back and can help move things around and what have you. A lot of people need that so try to get the word out that you will help for an hour, day or week.

Make sure when you do something for someone you are trustworthy, careful, respectful and friendly and you should have plenty of work pretty soon.

Thanks for that, yeah im a big strong guy (6'4) so i was hoping to get a job moving things or restocking shelves but no luck yet, i look through personal adds and what not but never find anything. Every job i see wants me to have experience and i don't have any work experience.

Thanks for that, yeah im a big strong guy (6'4) so i was hoping to get a job moving things or restocking shelves but no luck yet, i look through personal adds and what not but never find anything. Every job i see wants me to have experience and i don't have any work experience.

Knock on doors of any business you can find. Also - if you are well connected in a church let folks know that you are willing to do odd jobs. Houses need painting, little ladies need help, and ditches can be dug. Let them know that you will show up, have a strong back, and can do what you are told. Shave, look nice, and be friendly.

Despite the tough economy - there is always a need for dependable people willing to work.

There are always elderly people that need things done around the house that cannot and do not have family willing to do it for them. Check the churches and put up fliers.

Don't limit yourself either. Fast Food joints are usually hiring and while it is minimum wage - it is better than nothing.

Guest RemedyCNC

Habitat for Humanity needed a truck driver/floor help. It was part-time but you might give it a shot. You will need to speak with Ken.

Guest mikedwood
Knock on doors of any business you can find. Also - if you are well connected in a church let folks know that you are willing to do odd jobs. Houses need painting, little ladies need help, and ditches can be dug. Let them know that you will show up, have a strong back, and can do what you are told. Shave, look nice, and be friendly.

Despite the tough economy - there is always a need for dependable people willing to work.

That's what I was getting at right there. I_Like_Pie put it very well.

Church and knocking on doors in nicer neighborhoods is a good idea. Make up some fliers. You could probably get $20 minimum and $10 an hour pretty easy.

If you play the cards right and get recommended that's awesome.

In the nicer neighborhoods dads at work and the mom stays at home and takes care of the house like crazy. They need help at times. You get in the right click on one of those deals and you won't have enough time in the day or week eventually.

But you have to be responsible, respectful and reliable then you will have 90% of the others beat out the door even if you lack experience.

Learn to learn also, if they need something done more than moving look at it and evaluate it. If you think you can do it, do it. If you need to study tell them so. Search it on the internet and books and if you think you can do it try, if you can't do it or feel it's beyond you tell them so but try to recommend someone that can to help them out.

That's how I got started in my own little business. The more helpful you are the more they call for whatever, the more they call the more they will use you. Plus you will have that 17 and trying to help his family thing going for you. It's respectable and people love getting work done and also feeling like they are helping. It's a win/win/win

When you get 18 that will be better for construction jobs, you are still a minor so they have to be careful themselves. It looks like there will be a lot of huge construction jobs in Chattanooga over the next couple of years. If I remember my news right.

Oh and whatever you do, good luck!

Edited by mikedwood

I had a descently successful run at mowing yards. I started by working for people in my church, and I also printed some flyers and took to the realty companies in my area. Tell them you are interested in mowing yards for vacant houses or any other properties they have. That worked pretty well, but it is esential to do a good job and make things look nice. The best advertising you can have is to show people you do a good job.

Way to go, getting out there and trying to help. You already have much respect from me.

I live between Cleveland and Ooltewah, I can't promise you a certain number of hours but I am always needing something done around here. I have 10 acres that always need some sort of cleaning up. If you are willing to do yard work: mowing, weedeating, trimming hedges, pulling weeds and such and I can probably give you a day of work a week. Let me know if you are interested.

Guest 70below

Try going to banks or real estate agents that specialize in forclosures. When I was 15 I would go to houses that got forclosed on and haul off the junk and trash that got left behind. Often I only had to get it bagged up and moved to the curb. Most of the time, bids were submitted to haul it all off. I usually bid $500 and I could usually do one in a day or two and I was way under what a company would charge to come in and do it.

Go buy you a dewalt buffer, grab some polish, wax, vacuum and a few other odds and ends and find you some boats to detail and clean. I did this through college and made 200-650 per job. It's boating season soon and lots of boats need a good cleaning.