need barrel threading for muzzle brake. diameters inside

Guest 1817ak47

Guest 1817ak47

want to thread the end of the barrel on my ak. for a muzzle brake to make it more stable under rapid fire. the threads were "machined" off. the "rough" diameter is .543"~ and 13.8mm~ this isn't exact as this is a rough diameter taken with a mitutoyo caliper(not cheap inaccurate junk). I know the 2 common thread for barrels is 1/2 28 TPI and m14x1.0 but I haven't been able to find the minimum diameter needed to thread upon

thanks in advance

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 1817ak47

do I have enought diameter left for the m14 thread then??? I searched and searched and only found taps sizes, not diameters for dies

Guest mgjohn

You may not have enough for a proper AK barrel thread if the ols ones were machined off. You may need to go with a pin on muzzle break/flash hider.

Do check with a smith, If you can go 1/2x28 he can correct the bore size on whatever you want put on the muzzle.

Ask me about using a 1/2x28 22cal adaptor on a MP5 in 9mm :>(

Edited by mgjohn
Guest G-Pa Glynn

Minimum diameter for M14X1 Thread would be 13.9 or 0.547", That what I have figured from the books tat I have. You would only have about 48% thread and would not be very strong. Would have to agree with mgjohn either use a pin-on or thread for 1/2 X 28 thread.

Guest 1817ak47

I had another mak-90 that I bought that had a pin on, loose as can be, when I shot it couldn't hit targets, after afew shots found out the bullets were hitting the cheap muzzle brake and it even had chips taken out.

looks like the m14 is out, I don't wan't partial height threads, that can and likely will fail.

if I usea adapter can I thread to 1/2 28 that then use a adapter that has 1/2 28 and m14x1 on the other end??

Guest G-Pa Glynn

That would be possible but would also add about 1 1/2" to length. You could not have the threads end at the same point, would be weak.

Typically I have seen barrels threaded on a lathe (not with a die). This is more accurate. It is preferable to turn it on a spud or between centers so that the threads are aligned with the bore. Bores are not always concentric with the outter diameter of the barrel. This may not matter for a brake, but it is critical if you ever screw a suppressor on it.

Guest 1817ak47
Since you are in Knox, consider taking it to Predator. I took my Saiga to them for threading. It was worth the $40 they charged me to make sure it was done right.

I have no problem with paying for quality, never heard of that place though, where is that at??