S&W Model 41 Repairs/Gunsmithing Advice Needed

stahlmangc

I have a pre-A serial number S&W model 41 (old) that was a safe queen for many years before I picked it up. Super accurate but is frought with action issues...stovepipes, FTEs, failure to reset trigger then go into battery etc. I have only used CCI std velocity.

I am no gunsmith, but all of the forums (rimfire central etc) that I have read note varying amounts of issues with these finely made guns.

I think I need a GOOD gunsmith to really look this guy over and tune it up. It may simply be years of sitting around and need a thorough cleaning etc. Again, I am not a gunsmith so I dont know.

Any of you guys know of a top notch S&W Model 41 guru that could help?

Thanks

Gray

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gcrookston

Having owned a number of 41's over the years, and having always owned at least one (sometimes as many as 3 or 4), let me go ahead and tell you what I think.

First, I've never had a malfunction that wasn't ammo related with a 41, so...

1. You stated it was a safe queen. Being a Pre-A prefix that means it probably sat around for at least the last 20+ years without being fired, function tested, cleaned or lubed.

That being said, what you are experiencing appears to be the results of the lubricants migrating.

I have never had an issue with any 41 that wasn't properly cleaned and lubricated. My first inclination is to completely clean and lubricate this gun.

I suspect if you are unwilling or unable to completely disassemble, clean, lubricate and reassemble this gun the fellow at Guns&Leather can do it for you. He is the only guy locally that I currently know of who's reputation would cover this.

This is a simple task, and he is a quality source for such a basic requirement.

After him, and I stress, after him (or you taking it upon yourself), I would recommend Clark Custom Guns. I have been dealing with Jim and now Jimmy (Jr) for a number of years and they have tuned several of my 41s.

Finally, if you want to get it to me, I will be more than happy to disassemble, clean, lube and reassemble your 41 for you for a nominal fee of say, oh, a dinner.

You can contact me by PM, I am guessing this forum is fraught with my references, as I've managed only to PO about 10 members so far. I am not a gunsmith but I know some guns very well, like the 41. I would clean and lube it as if it were one of my own.

Edited by gcrookston

G-

thanks so much for the response. In what I have read, and what you are saying, I suspect you are absolutely right. I'm not afraid of a little mechanical tinkering, so I'll give a thorough disassembly and cleaning/lubing a go. If still an issue, tell me where you want to eat!!!:blush:

Thanks again. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

BTW, other than the CCI Std Velocity, are there any other brands etc of ammo that you have had consistent success with?

Gray

Guest gcrookston

The sv Lapua is the best ammo I've found. The gun was designed to shoot standard velocity. To be honest, any time I see it, I buy Standard Velocity -- anywhere, any make. It's uncommon and I've shot most brands and have had no issue with any.

Here is my current 41, a 1980 vintage that was unfired until I got ahold of it in 2008... It has a Clark Trigger job and they smoothed the mag well.

It now has about 5,000 rounds down the pipe.

DSC00225.jpg

Just like your's, it was a safe queen. When guns sit around for decades, the grease and oil gets cruddy. I spent a full day getting congealed and dried lube out of this one before I ever shot it.

Edited by gcrookston
Guest gcrookston

I much prefer the Bangor-Punta and earlier 41s, such as yours. Their fit/finish is much better than the newer ones. A "pre A-prefix" is a find and a treasure. I am also inclined to the 7" over the shorter barrel models -- glen

Guest gcrookston
Call S&W. Doesn't this pistol have a lifetime warranty?

..I doubt this gun qualifies. The company has been through 3 or 4 owners since it was made. This gun pre-dates the Bangor-Puntas. It's an old, old gun. 30, maybe 40 years old. Probably late 1960's, early 1970's. Even so, who wants to wait six months for a simple strip down, lube and reassembly? Not I.

I would do what Glenn suggested about cleaning a lube. If you still have a problem I would call Smith & Wesson and see what they say. They will (without a doubt) be the best and probably the cheapest, if they even charge you.

Guest gcrookston

I would recommend Breakfree CLP be slathered on the trigger assembly, then blasted with air on the internals. I use just a bit of slick 50 synthetic grease (Available at most auto parts stores), to address any metal to metal contact points. I would dip my finger in the jar and apply only a small film at those points (just a enough to get the surface wet). From what you described, The sear/hammer and slide are the key issues. Failing slick 50, I'm also found of Tetra's Gun Grease.

Take care not to over do the grease. You want to leave just a film on the surface. You only want the parts to shine with grease, no globs.

Do it right and the pistol will be good to go for another 40 years or so...

Guest gcrookston
Dave Salyer - Salyer@comporium.net

Bullseye Pistolsmith for 35+ years, Distinguished Pistol Shot, member of the 2600 club.

He's your best bet.

Sorry I didn't mention him. My Bad. I've never done business with him but his reputation is outstanding