Who has an M&P with a Thumb Safety?

DaveTN

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Law of Thirds

I've got the .45 compact with thumb safety. It doesn't get in the way and I like a place to put my thumb, especially on a smaller gun. However, it's not very positive and I've caught it in the off position after being in a holster and getting in and out of the car a couple of times. As far as I know, you can remove the thumb safety off any so equipped model and have the gun function as a normal M&P since the thumb safety simply blocks the transfer bar from moving the sear.

Guest scott6261

i have one on my full size .40, i dont use it as my carry weapon though. i use it for home protection and as my idpa gun. i think if i was going to carry it i would prob remove it b/c its a little on the wide side with it on there. i have gotten into the habit of always flipping it prior to holstering it. i have brushed it with my arm to see if i could flip it accidently and i could very easily. love the gun though, i've got just over 1800 rds without a single issue.

I've got a full size .40 with one. Like the others have said it is a little wide. There is a slight bulge into the holster at the safety due to the width, but not to the point it has caused a problem with me.

It's not my EDC but use it from time to time. I haven't had a problem with it getting disengaged/engaged by accident but can see how it can happen since it is very easy to thumb select. It is a very natural movement to come off safety during a draw if you wish.

If I had to do it over again I would probably get one without the safety. (Originally I wasn't looking for one with a safety, but that's all G&L had at the time. It wasn't a big deal for me either way, so I bought it.)

Guest tbone

I have the safety on my 9c which I carry. I like to rest my thumb on it, it provides more control during rapid fire. Flipping it on accidentally will not happen if you keep your shooting hand thumb on it, and use your off hand to hit the slide release. I have no problem with it, but understand why some do. The great thing about the M&P is the fact that you can take the thumb safety, or leave it!

Guest Gillespk

I have a 9c with thumb safety and it has some issue in my holster. I have ctac holster and when the gun slides in, the kydex is formed in a way that forces the safety off( the shape has a groove where it flips it down for some reason). Not a huge deal to me as I do not mind the safety being off while I carry, I mainly wanted the safety for around the house and for other times.

:pI've got a DE 45 full sized with 1/2 a safety.

Actually I bought a set of CT grips for it and the right side lever was in the way so I removed it.

The safety is easy to remove, only thing is then you have 2 little square holes in your gun (they can be filled with plugs bought from S&W).

I have an M&P 45 with the thumb safety. Bought it used and have considered removing it however it has not caused a problem so I haven't yet. I rarely engage it and then only when un-holstering. I never carry with it engaged nor have a found to engage itself.