North Dakota Concealed Carry Permit Valid for 18YO TN Resident?

Guest Eliminator55

But then he wouldn't be able to legally purchase handguns in TN, correct?

Correct... that's why I'd picked a state near by... like Alabama or something...

Seeing as he can't buy from a FFL to begin with... my guess is he's already solved the legally getting a handgun part before working on the how to get a permit part :ugh:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest milkman
I'm not moving to North Dakota. I go to UT. North Dakota is a frozen tundra in the winter. I'm just trying to find a legal way to carry in Tennessee. I am probably going to end up getting Main's permit as well as NH permit just to provide me with better reciprocity. Once I have ND's permit, the NH permit is easy to get. The Maine permit requires a basic handgun safety course.

I think that this is a situation that might prove legal if taken to court, but might lead to questioning and arrest by an officer. It would be one thng if your intent was to carry in a small county where you had lived all your life and knew everyone, but to do it in Knoxville could lead to trouble. Before you doe this you need to think if you are willing to be a test case.

There are other defensive options for someone under 21, Pepper Spray or knives for instance.

Guest Eliminator55
I think that this is a situation that might prove legal if taken to court, but might lead to questioning and arrest by an officer. It would be one thng if your intent was to carry in a small county where you had lived all your life and knew everyone, but to do it in Knoxville could lead to trouble. Before you doe this you need to think if you are willing to be a test case.

There are other defensive options for someone under 21, Pepper Spray or knives for instance.

No, I am not willing to be a test case. Even if winning the case is viable it would cost a god awful fortune to present a legal defense that would actually have a chance of winning. Not to mention, if you were to lose you would most definitely lose your 2nd amendment rights. I have emailed all the Tennessee legislators multiple times about the current law and its discrimination against Tennessee residents.

In my opinion the reciprocity is there as a way for residents of other states to visit Tennessee and still be within their rights to carry a firearm legally while here. I don't think that you will get very far with the TN state legislators to change the law so that you or anyone else can side step the current laws here in TN regarding the legal age to be able to get a TN HCP.

I'm betting his argument to the legislators isn't allow residents to carry on non-resident permits, but more if you can legally own it, you should be able to legally carry it (ie, either no permit or lower the permit age to 18).

I've heard a rumor that even the Speaker has stated he would support Vermont style carry so it might not be out of the question.

Guest milkman

Hey Eliminator,

I grew up in Massachusetts and when I was thinking about this earlier I remembered something from a Hunter Safety Course I took when I was 15. The instructor had a cabin in Maine, and would go up there for weekends, as he disliked Mass. Laws so he got a Non-Resident Permit, it had to be issued by his local police chief. That chief required him to come in person to do the paperwork, the permit was issued same day but he had to appear in person.

I understand from the Maine website that they still delegate the task of issuing permits to the local police departments or county sheriffs unless the city or county delegates it back to the state, so you may need to take a quick vacation to Maine in order to get your permit if you go that route.

I recommend Kittery (Home of Kittery Trading Post ehich was the Bass Pro Shops of New England for many years) (Also Kittery is right across the river from NH which could be handy if you needed to go there for your second permit) or Freeport (Home of LL Bean).

It would also be a very good idea to find and join ND, ME, and NH Gun Forums to get an idea what the current atmosphere is as far as gun permits go in their states. New Hampshire has had a lot of trouble with Anti Government types the last few years. One such event was the Brown Incident where a couple of Tax protesters had an Armed Standoff with the US Marshalls for nearly a year. They brought in Armed Anti-Government types from all over the country it was a pretty nasty affair and soured a lot of locals towards non-locals using their laws for their own advancement. I have no idea what effect that might have had on Gun Permits if any but if I were looking at doing what you are looking into I would do all the research I could.

I have also been doing some research on the Class II Permit from ND, it seems that it exists because many states refused to accept the old permit. You may want to try and get an opinon (in writing) from their AG that the Class II is meant to travel just as a Class I and it is up to other states to accept it. There is likely already and AG's opinion you would just need to find it. Just to cover yourself.

Guest Eliminator55
I'm betting his argument to the legislators isn't allow residents to carry on non-resident permits, but more if you can legally own it, you should be able to legally carry it (ie, either no permit or lower the permit age to 18).

I've heard a rumor that even the Speaker has stated he would support Vermont style carry so it might not be out of the question.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Why discriminate specifically against Tennessee handgun owners below age 21. If you live in any other state, you can legally carry in Tennessee with any resident or non-resident permit. So, Tennessee state law should be changed to avoid discrimination against Tennessee handgun owners below age 21.

They are many routes that can be taken to allow those under 21 to legally carry concealed in Tennessee. Language could be added to the law regarding the residency requirement that states that Tennessee residents under 21 can legally carry in Tennessee using any valid carry permit.

I would rather them lower the age requirement to 18 though.

Now, Vermont Style Right-To-Carry Legislation would be the ultimate solution. The right to carry should apply to anyone who can legally own a handgun. The legal age to own a handgun in Tennessee is 18. So, if right-to-carry legislation is adopted they should apply the right-to-carry to all handgun owners, including those age 18 or older.

I'd like to see the legislature do the right thing and provide all Tennessee handgun owners with the right to carry.

Edited by Eliminator55
Guest 270win

If you change your residency to another state, you would be legal carrying on the ND license at 18. If you are a TN resident, you must get a TN permit within 6 months of establishing residency in TN. ALSO....be careful about this...IF you work in TN 30 more more hours a week...you must have a TN permit...UNLESS the license/permit you have is RECIPROCAL with TN...that is different than 'honored'. The border state folks that can get technically messed up by this have Alabama pistol licenses b/c we do not have a signed reciprocity agreement with Alabama...like we do with say Arkansas, Mississippi..Kentucky. Be careful on that....if you work in TN more than 30hrs and ND doesn't have a reciprocity agreement...and a prosecutor goes after you...it could be a valid 'intent to go armed' charge with that ND license. It appears from the Dept of Safety that ND and TN DO NOT have a reciprocity agreement.