Nickel Plated Brass

Looking at many auctions on gunbroker for used brass, I noticed that a lot of folks seem proud to announce that their brass contains no nickel plated cases. But most (if not all) of your commercial reloaders like Tennessee Cartridge Co reload nickel.

I've heard that reloading nickel is fine, but the cases just won't last as long as regular brass. What's everyone's thoughts on reloading nickel plated cases?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FroggyOne2

Nickel plated is fine if you shooting pistol or stright wall cases.. but if it is bottle neck cases.. you will eventually run into problems.. the two metals expand and grow at different rates.. which in time cause some seperation.

Nickel plated is fine if you shooting pistol or stright wall cases.. but if it is bottle neck cases.. you will eventually run into problems.. the two metals expand and grow at different rates.. which in time cause some seperation.

Hmmm. My duty weapon is a .357 Sig. With the current ammo prices, we've been shooting some reloads as practice ammo and there's been quite a bit of nickel stuff in it. Wonder if we'll run into any problems. Hopefully the QC is ok at the reload factory.

I had heard at one time when I was shooting IPSC that a shooter claimed the Brass sealed better getting him higher velocities in his .38 Super ,.. never tested it myself because.....

10mm doesn't worry about making a 175 ( at that time ) power factor.....;)

I guess you could load some up and compare things like accuracy and velocity but in the end,...

Nickel casings make prettier loaded rounds and don't tarnish if left in ammo cans for a long time... load some rifle ammo with those poly tips and you will have some really sweet looking ammo

John

Here's a sight for new and used brass.

http://www.brassworldeshop.com

I also think the only difference is nickel is it's prettier.

Their prices ain't bad. Anywhere else that has good deals on used brass?

I just can't bring myself to spend 2 to 3 times as much on new brass when used brass is so much cheaper and still has plenty of life left in it.

Guest canebreaker

Most of my brass/nichel is from a big batch I bought in 1991.

When we shoot, we each shoot about 500 rounds. I shoot

the brass and flutterby shoots the nichel. She calls them

silver bullets. While inspecting cases, I find more cracked

necks on the nichel than brass. I'll reload up to a 1/4" crack

on the 38 spl and 357s. But not on the 9m and 380s.

We sell tumbled brass at the Stones river gun range. Pistal

brass is 300 per bag, about 15 to 25 per bag. Those hard to

find cals. are a bit higher, like the 45 long colt. Send me a pm,

I'll check on what we have and arrange shipping.

Guest pig832

I have always heard nickel is more brittle, and wont reload as many times, but I do not know that for sure. When I shot ppc I used to have ammo custom loaded by the case, and the guy would not use nickel, dont know if it was harder on his machinery, or what.