50 beuwolf

my82cam

does anybody have an ar15 that they have made a 50 beuwolf? i'm always looking for a pistol round that works great in a rifle to hunt with in indiana. since i already have an ar-15 i was thinking i could buy an upper and have a new deer rifle in 50 beuwolf instead of my 44mag rifle. how does it do long range, i mean 200 yards or less, maybe more.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It will do it, but why? It's a big honking bullet in most cases, unless you go with the 86 grain aluminum bullets from Lehigh. The most common bullets are the Remy 300 grain JHPs and the 405 grain soft points. They will reach out there but your putting quite a bit of arc in those bigger rounds. If your looking for ranges of 200+ neither the 458 or the Beowulf are your round. Anything inside that is doable and repeatable. For an AR with more umph and range the AR10s or the 6.5 Grendel on the standard platform are more suitable.

All that said, Marty Ter Weeme the developer of the round posted pics of a guys rig with the Quigly down under sights on it and he was ringing a gong at 700 plus yards. Of course it looked like he was shooting artillery at that point but it will go there.

Mine was zeroed at 100 and was dead right there shooter during deer season.

IMG_6053.jpg

300 grain JHPs

IMG_6048.jpg

405 grain soft points and 475 grain Barnes solids points 1900 fps and 1600 fps

IMG_6046.jpg

86 grain deep well hollow points, 3800 fps at the muzzle

IMG_6051.jpg

...does anybody have an ar15 that they have made a 50 beuwolf? ...... how does it do long range, i mean 200 yards or less, maybe more.

Check these links out: Alexander Arms: .50 Beowulf®

450Bushmaster.net • View topic - Things we need to know for a 450 Bushmaster Build

Ballistic Advantage, LLC - Home

Working on a custom 450 bushmaster. The only reason for it over the beowulf or the socom is that you can find ammo and reloading supplies; and that the guys at ballistic advantage will do the barrels. Just got the barrel and bolt from Ballistic Advantage. They did a great job on it. It is a 16 inch HBAR contour carbon steel barrel. Got the lower done and it's ready for the upper to be finished. Plan to do a plain flattop carbine with iron sights.

In my view, all these cartridges do the same thing. The only quibble is the alleged effectiveness with i consider to be a genuine bit of minuta. They are all deadly as a drug store for as far as you can reasonably shoot. The fact is that the socom, the beowulf, and the bushmaster are pistol rounds on steroids and that is a great idea. They are deadly and accurate to the extreme. They allow the shooter to handle a bunch of power with much more compfort than you can have with a pistol. They amount to a carbine length 454 casull or a 50ae with about 300 to 400 fps added to their best handgun velocities. That means they are powerful, indeed. I like all these calibers. My advice. Pick out the one that you like and go with it. I dont believe you can go wrong. A big bore AR is a great thing for defense or hunting to 150 to 200 yds. Every home should have one sitting in the corner loaded and ready to repel boarders.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Leroy

Edited by leroy
spelling!!!

I don't have the Beowulf, yet, but I've been researching it a good bit and am very strongly leaning towards one. I'm saving up for a semi-auto rifle something that serves as a short to medium range meat grinder. This rifle is perfect for me. I've been talking to people about it, a buddy told me he saw footage of tests with the rifle, one being shooting through the hood of an S10 at an 8 degree angle. Bullet passed through the hood with no change made to the course of the round, passed through the firewall, and finally came to a stop embedded somewhere in the cab of the truck. Sorry, but I don't know the range at which this test was conducted.