Argh, Just broke a barrel plug screw

I was putting some filler screws in the muzzle of my Rem 700 after taking the front sight off. First on went in fine. The second one stuck half in and half out. I tried to get it out but half the head broke off. I drilled out scope base screws but not this small. I think these are 6-40 or 6-48 plug screws. Best way out of this before I try to drill?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not been able to so far. It is very short.

I just looked at mine. I removed my rear site to make room for a scope. they're standard size plug screws. Pretty dinky. A drill is scary, but may be your only choice. I would be hunting down a gunsmith.

Have you tried using a punch on the remaining half of the head of the screw to turn it out of the hole?

Yep, tried the punch, so far no movement. I hope it would knock the other half the head off but not so far. I was getting frustrated so I stopped and decided to take it up again tomorrow.

Guest SUNTZU
Yep, tried the punch, so far no movement. I hope it would knock the other half the head off but not so far. I was getting frustrated so I stopped and decided to take it up again tomorrow.

Not sure if I follow you. Were you only trying to knock off the remaining half or trying to unscrew the screw by tapping on the screwhead to try and turn it out of the hole? Or both? :D

Not sure if I follow you. Were you only trying to knock off the remaining half or trying to unscrew the screw by tapping on the screwhead to try and turn it out of the hole? Or both? :D

I was trying to unscrew it to get it out. It seems to just want to bend or flatten on that corner. I tapped it several more times but it did not move or break off. If it broke it would make it easier to drill.

Cut the barrel off. Make it a project gun.;)

Actually not a bad idea but I got it out. Center punched it, drilled it with a 5/64th bit, got my #1 ease out into it enough to move it a little. I was then able to get a hold of it with my mini vise grips. Didn't do any damage so it is OK. Now, I have to find a 6-48 bottom tap to clean this hole up. I think I have a friend who has one.

As to cutting it off, I bought this to use as a light weight walk around gun. A 20" barrel might be handy. I had a Model Seven with a 18.5" barrel but it got away a while back. I'm not going to cut it right now but maybe later.

Thanks for the help guys.

Guest 1817ak47

did you look into reverse drill bits. they drill down in the counterclockwise direction. you will need to order them as you won't find them at a local store normally. and stay away from the china freight rubber metal bits. if you need help finding good bits LMK and I will lead you in the direction. I usedto spend 10+hrs day on adrill press drill iron and usually never have to sharpen the bit once in a typicall day with good quality dtuff from the right venders

did you look into reverse drill bits. they drill down in the counterclockwise direction. you will need to order them as you won't find them at a local store normally. and stay away from the china freight rubber metal bits. if you need help finding good bits LMK and I will lead you in the direction. I usedto spend 10+hrs day on adrill press drill iron and usually never have to sharpen the bit once in a typicall day with good quality dtuff from the right venders

As I stated, I got it out. But I almost bought a set of left hand drills at Northern Tool but they wanted 28 bucks and they were made in China. I do want to get some left hand drill bits, good ones, but I want to be able to order just the ones I want. I would rarely need the larger drills, just the smaller ones.

Guest 1817ak47

if you want good ones, there are 2 excellent brands, triumph twist and chicago latrobe(C-L) I have extensive experience with these brands and the only thing that hurts them is very hard steel and stainless steel. mscsupply is one and possibly the few places you can get them from. if you have any q's hit me up. I would very very highly recommend getting split point tips, as they wander very little when you start driling