I think I might have found my new gun

Links2k

I had been waitin on a Les Baer TRS, but it never materialized. I went to the gun store today and found a new Ed Brown Special Forces, Springfield TRP, Kimber SIS, Kimber Grand Raptor, and the last I believe was a Kimber Grand Champion (correct me if I am wrong on the last gun). One of these pistols is coming home in the morning. What are your opinions on all of these pistols? I am partial to the TRP and Ed Brown. The SIS is a very close second. I have not had a chance to really get any info on the Grand Raptor. Thanks for your views.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bart_p

Not to anger any owners of the other brands, but honestly the Ed Brown shouldn't even be compared to the others you mentioned. The others you mentioned are full production guns with "custom shop" logos or minute tweaks to them. The Ed Brown is a hand-built, highly detailed custom production gun (the only true customs imo are the ones that have about 15 different brands of parts thrown together). I would even go as far as to say that if you get the Ed Brown you will be glad you got that over the Baer (no offense Baer-fans). Ed Brown pistols are the finest 1911 in the $2-$3k range in my honest unbiased opinion (I have really tried to love Wilsons, Baers, and Nighthawks but keep wanting more). I can say that I am completely unbiased because I don't even own a 1911, I just have experienced a few of each of the above mentioned and keep coming back to the Brown (which is on the to-do list by the way).

Bart

Not to anger any owners of the other brands, but honestly the Ed Brown shouldn't even be compared to the others you mentioned. The others you mentioned are full production guns with "custom shop" logos or minute tweaks to them. The Ed Brown is a hand-built, highly detailed custom production gun (the only true customs imo are the ones that have about 15 different brands of parts thrown together). I would even go as far as to say that if you get the Ed Brown you will be glad you got that over the Baer (no offense Baer-fans). Ed Brown pistols are the finest 1911 in the $2-$3k range in my honest unbiased opinion (I have really tried to love Wilsons, Baers, and Nighthawks but keep wanting more). I can say that I am completely unbiased because I don't even own a 1911, I just have experienced a few of each of the above mentioned and keep coming back to the Brown (which is on the to-do list by the way).

Can you tell me about Ed Brown customer service. I hear nothing but good things about Springfield cs on the 1911 forum.

Bart

Can you tell me about Ed Brown customer service. I hear nothing but good things about Springfield cs on the 1911 forum.

Of those, the ED Brown.... Kimber and Springfield aren't even in the same class by a long shot.

Also there is a slightly used Wilson CQB listed in the Firearms for sale here that would be, a nice ride and might save you a few bucks in taxes etc.

Edited by Hgunner

Honestly I'm biased toward the Springfield TRP I think you get alot for the money and their customer service can't be beat. I can't bring myself to spend $2000 on a handgun that's 10% of all the total money I made last year lol. Ed Brown's, Baer's and Nighthawk's etc. are super nice if you got the cash flow though.

Guest Plainsman

I'd go with the Brown too if I had the funds. I recently got a Dan Wesson CBOB due to all its good reviews and recommendations. I must say I am not unsatisfied with my purchase.

Springer, Kimber, Dan Wesson and several others are good guns. Most function well and have some nice extras. They are nicely fitted, and have little done to them after basic manufacturing. That said, Ed Brown, Nightwawk and I will throw in the new Hero-Guns as well as several other small custom manufacturers, are not in the same league with the previously mentioned guns. It is like comparing AAA ball to the majors. One step, but a big one.

Rock the slide back and forth a few times on the latter guns. The slide and frame are hand lapped and hand fitted. The slide will seem like it is on ball bearings, it is that smooth of a feeling. On the other guns you can feel the burrs and uneven points. The internal parts are all smoothed and of the highest quality. Most of them have been totally deburred of sharp points and feel smooth over the entire surface. This is what Cooper called the 'melt' and to put it succinctly, he said this is one of the absolute musts of any good carry 1911. I've watched guys at night taking a file to their 1911's after a day of Cooper breaking their ear off. This is standard on the Ed Brown and Nighthawk guns.

As I said the other guns are certainly good guns. Some can afford and want a gun of the highest quality, some don't put emphasis on that. There is absolutely nothing like a top end 1911 for the 1911 fan. If that is your thing, get the best you can afford and spend money on other types of guns. If you don't get just what you want, I have seen it over and over again, you will end up with one 1911 after another to the point that you could have bought the best to begin with and been done with it.

I'm no 1911aholic. I will say this, after having a high end 1911 I won't be satisfied with anything less than that ever again. But, again I am not consumed by the 1911 disease. I just appreciate true quality. In fact I personally, and this is just me, would buy a number of other types of pistols unless I was willing to fork out for a really good 1911.

I am also not at present carrying a 1911, but a HK45C or Glock 23 or 27. I have carried several 1911's and found them to be great carry pieces. Over the years though my hip had generally had an HK, Sig or Glock on it.

Well, he says that he doesn't own a 1911 so he wouldn't be able tell you: however, I do own an Ed Brown, but I've never had to call their customer service. My only complaint: $2,500 for a handgun and I only get one magazine? :cool:

Springer, Kimber, Dan Wesson and several others are good guns. Most function well and have some nice extras. They are nicely fitted, and have little done to them after basic manufacturing. That said, Ed Brown, Nightwawk and I will throw in the new Hero-Guns as well as several other small custom manufacturers, are not in the same league with the previously mentioned guns. It is like comparing AAA ball to the majors. One step, but a big one.

Rock the slide back and forth a few times on the latter guns. The slide and frame are hand lapped and hand fitted. The slide will seem like it is on ball bearings, it is that smooth of a feeling. On the other guns you can feel the burrs and uneven points. The internal parts are all smoothed and of the highest quality. Most of them have been totally deburred of sharp points and feel smooth over the entire surface. This is what Cooper called the 'melt' and to put it succinctly, he said this is one of the absolute musts of any good carry 1911. I've watched guys at night taking a file to their 1911's after a day of Cooper breaking their ear off. This is standard on the Ed Brown and Nighthawk guns.

As I said the other guns are certainly good guns. Some can afford and want a gun of the highest quality, some don't put emphasis on that. There is absolutely nothing like a top end 1911 for the 1911 fan. If that is your thing, get the best you can afford and spend money on other types of guns. If you don't get just what you want, I have seen it over and over again, you will end up with one 1911 after another to the point that you could have bought the best to begin with and been done with it.

I'm no 1911aholic. I will say this, after having a high end 1911 I won't be satisfied with anything less than that ever again. But, again I am not consumed by the 1911 disease. I just appreciate true quality. In fact I personally, and this is just me, would buy a number of other types of pistols unless I was willing to fork out for a really good 1911.

I am also not at present carrying a 1911, but a HK45C or Glock 23 or 27. I have carried several 1911's and found them to be great carry pieces. Over the years though my hip had generally had an HK, Sig or Glock on it.

Ed Brown manufactures all of their parts too with their own machining processes. No metal injection there.

Of those, the ED Brown.... Kimber and Springfield aren't even in the same class by a long shot.

+1. the one exception to this would be the Custom Shop Springfields, such as the Professional model, etc...

I would also add that Dan Wesson would be my choice over Kimber or Springfield. COTEP!!! :cool:

Edited by .45
Well, he says that he doesn't own a 1911 so he wouldn't be able tell you: however, I do own an Ed Brown, but I've never had to call their customer service. My only complaint: $2,500 for a handgun and I only get one magazine? :cool:

Yeah, that sort of rubbed me the wrong way also. I was thinking the guy was holding on to the extra magazine for himself.

Never having to use the EB cs is a very strong endorsement.:up:

You can get a Dan Wesson Valor with a Blemish for around $1200 to $1300

I have an 09 and a new SS Valor ...

I think they are the best value in the 1911 market.

I base that on JMO I use mine for carry and think they are as good as most semi custom 1911...

You can get a Dan Wesson Valor with a Blemish for around $1200 to $1300

I have an 09 and a new SS Valor ...

I think they are the best value in the 1911 market.

I base that on JMO I use mine for carry and think they are as good as most semi custom 1911...

I would agree. I think the DW is about as good a non custom 1911 as any. And as was stated they have a lot of ed Brown parts in them. And for the money maybe the best value.