Cheatham WMA?

Smith

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The facilities get damaged often from people who don't care about it. No on site safety personnel. Can get a little dangerous when full or some folks are out there.

25, 50 and 100 yard ranges, only open after 12:00 pm I believe. Must purchase a use permit at local stores for $5.50 for two hours.

Guest redbarron06

it is not the greatest range I have ever been to but not the worst. As soon as there are more the about 3 folks there I pack up and go. Last time I was there had to yell at some DA for walking down to the berm while at least 5 other people were shooting. Worst part about it was I was on one end and she was all the way on the other. I did not notice her until she was halfway down. The guy next to here did not even notice.

Guest MERRILL

I frequent the Cheatam range. Most of the neophytes can be educated about safety issues; just be polite and most of the time you'll have no problem. THe range is similar to a garbage dump and often the target boards are badly shot up. There are a few of us that have replaced boards ourselves. If you have been there in the past week or so, I have nailed up some plywood boards myself since TWRA is too cheap to do so. Wednesday is a good day. Not too many people there at noon.

Guest Bronker
There are worse options. Just keep an eye out for the idiots that regularly show up out there.

+1

Smith, come in another 25 minutes to Dickson, and we'll shoot here at my place!

Guest stovepipe

It's the exact opposite of the Stones River range, where they breathe down your neck every minute of your visit. People bring and shoot anything down there. (Cans, clays, water jugs, steel targets, large fruits and veggies - Wouldn't be surprised to see an old car one day) I always bring a back-up target stand or two, just in case the back boards are shot out. (Modified political signs do a good job in a pinch.)

It's way off the beaten path. I've never heard of a problem, but tend to feel vulnerable shooting there alone. I think having a shooting partner to watch gear (and your back) while changing targets is a good idea.

You can get your range permit anywhere they sell hunting and fishing licenses.