My opinion of Lyman

I have been trying to use Lyman products for 30 years. My problem is I always wind up using someone elses products instead because they perform better. I started 30 years ago on a Spar-t kit. The powder measure was always hard to adjust and keep in adjustment, I think it was a model 55, so I bought a RCBS Uniflow and have been using it ever since. I bought a RCBS Rockchucker to replace the weak spar-t. I did buy a Orange Crush Lyman O frame press and the ram was drilled off center. I sent it back my dime and they sent it back to me as-is without replacing it even though I explained to the tech exactly what was wrong. Wound up eating that one. I had one of their scales and it was OK but I picjed up a RCBS/Ohaus 10-10 about 25 years ago and I have been using ever since. I tried there dies but they never worked as well as RCBS-Hornady-Dillon or even Lee so I never use them. I recently bought a set of Lyman roll pin punches and the 1/8th punch was missing the tip. I also recently came into a like new mold in the box but it was grossly undersized at the base and I cannot keep gas checks on it. They wanted 45 bucks to fix their mistake. I told them to just mail it back, I'll fix it myself. :whistle:

I write this to say to you new guys, I see writing on the wall. Stick with RCBS-Hornady-Dillon-Lee or buy Lyman stuff used and cheap. It works but you will find the others work a lot better. One thing I do recommend is their loading manuals. At least they work.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did buy all of my Lyman stuff used and cheap. Have had good luck so far (knock on wood)

Their bullet casting equipment is where they really shine....the best in the business.

I do have to say, if you ever need it, RCBS and Dillon have the best customer service in the industry. It really does make the premium in price worth it.

I sell Lyman,RCBS,Dillon,Redding and Lee I have never had a problem with Lyman or Lee mater of fact Ithink imo the the Lee clasic press is the best in the industry.RCBSused to be the standard by wich all were judged but after Fred Huntington sold the company it has went down hill somewhat the presses and powder measures are made in China but hey what isn't anymore.Again I think that Redding makes the best rifle dies Lee the best pistol die all the reloading mfg. make GOOD tools but those I havelisted are imo the best from sales. Now with that said do any of you have any stars or hollywood stuff you want to get rid of .For you shooters out there that do not reload get on the band wagon I am willing to teach you how you don't even have to buy your stuff from me . You don't even need stuff Ihave 14 presses set up in my reloading room judt bring your powder and bullets where Iwork it is slow in the spring and summer so if you want to learn let me know

Yeah it sure opens up a whole new world. I've been loading about 24 years. When you talk to someone about handloading that don't handload you can really confuse them bad. Even if you don't want to. I Like Pie brought up a interesting point.

Guest Broomhead

I want to learn!

My Dad and I just ordered a Lee Deluxe Turret Press Kit an extra turret, 9mm Mak and 9mm Luger carbide dies.

What type of powder and bullets do we need to get so we can get started? I know Glockster157 told me another die to get at the gun show, but I don't remember what it was. Anything else we need? We will probably invest in a better scale before too long.

Edited by Broomhead
I want to learn!

My Dad and I just ordered a Lee Deluxe Turret Press Kit an extra turret, 9mm Mak and 9mm Luger carbide dies.

What type of powder and bullets do we need to get so we can get started? I know Glockster157 told me another die to get at the gun show, but I don't remember what it was. Anything else we need? We will probably invest in a better scale before too long.

A good reloading book (despite the topic and post - Lyman has the best of these) Will step by step tell you everything you need. The BEST place to start is get a feel for it in the book....then watch someone reload 50 rounds with your equipment. Someone there in Nashville will show you the strings if you ask.

The Lyman book is very good . The Lee book is very good as well before loading read it first also the NRA puts out a very good reloading book . I will be more than happy to help you get started I am off the next 2 weeks .I would get AA5 or Unique powder for the pistols you have .

Ashland City isn't far Broomhead,..I am unfamiliar with the LEE Auto Disk ( I have one in a box somewhere around here..) so I will leave that to the other folks.

I am in the middle of building a bench and reorganizing the next few weeks or I would figure a day to show you,.. but feel free to ask any questions you may have I have been loading for around 25 years now... Handgun and rifle mostly

that other die may be a "taper crimp" die,.. important for semi autos as a roll crimp is not suggested due to head spacing the case on the mouth, but it can be done..

+1 on the manual,.. and buy a few I have several from a simple powder chart style to LEEs book and an old Lyman, 47th Edition I think it is...

for a 9mm Luger I would think a standard 115 FMJ and load to ball equivalent

the Mak would take a lighter bullet ( under 100 grains) and for some reason I think a different diameter (.365 instead of the .355 for the Luger google is a great thing...)

Depending on the pistol and type of shooting you plan on doing with it would help you decide what you load it with,.this is the great thing about reloading...

About the scale,.... check weights... order them, and keep them safe.. as long as the scale is consistent and accurate to the check weights you are good to go Electronic scales are sensitive to lights I have heard,.. I use 2 beam scales an RCBS and an old Ohaus

Welcome to the "bullet packing" club,.... I got my start on a Lyman SPARTAN press, moved to a Dillon but use the "Old Gray" for some of my calibers..

John

Guest Broomhead

Thanks guys. I will definitely keep everything in mind. If I didn't have the rugrat with me I would definitely take either of you up. Maybe we could get together on a Saturday morning or one evening.

Thanks guys. I will definitely keep everything in mind. If I didn't have the rugrat with me I would definitely take either of you up. Maybe we could get together on a Saturday morning or one evening.

I told you you can come over the house any time and I could show you. See me at church Sunday,

Guest Broomhead

I was referring to you also Glockster. Like I said, with the baby it would be harder to find a time to get together. I was not trying to exclude you in anyway my friend. You are sure to be a tremendous help in the future. I will definitely be talking with you at church.

BTW, I am hoping to have the whole order by next week, though I'm not sure what style of shipping my Dad chose when he ordered it. Now I just need to work on cleaning out the shed to make a man cave/reloading room.

I did buy all of my Lyman stuff used and cheap. Have had good luck so far (knock on wood)

Their bullet casting equipment is where they really shine....the best in the business.

I do have to say, if you ever need it, RCBS and Dillon have the best customer service in the industry. It really does make the premium in price worth it.

I am glad you have had good service out Lyman. I recently came into a like new RCBS Pro-Melt Furnace and I must say it it is a lot better than the Lyman Furnace I was using. Granted, the Lyman pot is 25 years old now. I also came into several RCBS molds and they too seem to be built better than the older Lyman molds I have had.

I got the Lyman mold I shipped them for repair back today, Not repaired of course. I took the sprue plate off and looked at the bullet bases with the mold halves together and they are quite noticeably oblong, by about 6-7 thousandths of an inch. They currently measure .259 x .264. tapering out to the first grease groove to about .284. I am going to take a 9/32's reamer and lock the mold up in a drill press vise and ream the bases round and up to .2815" about .145" deep. That should take care of it and fix the gas check problem also.