"No Loaded Guns"

Guest cheez

Guest cheez

The no weapons sign encounter thread got me to thinking about something. Does anybody besides me think it ironic that almost every gun store in the country has a "No Loaded Guns" sign on the door of their store. I mean I go into gun stores and pawn shops all over this country in about 20 different states and I can probably count on one hand the number of stores that do not have a sign like this. Many of these same stores have HCP classes and in the class they frown on places that don't allow carry. Even to the point of advocating the boycott of such businesses. Seems a bit on the hypocritical side to me.

Let's hear y'alls thoughts.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe if you were to check 99.9% of the places that have signs like that aren't trying to prevent carry, but are trying to prevent loaded firearms from being given to someone during a pawn or service transaction.

If I were behind the counter of a pawn shop or gun shop, I wouldn't want someone hadning me a loaded weapon to keep or work on.

Guest cheez
I believe if you were to check 99.9% of the places that have signs like that aren't trying to prevent carry, but are trying to prevent loaded firearms from being given to someone during a pawn or service transaction.

If I were behind the counter of a pawn shop or gun shop, I wouldn't want someone hadning me a loaded weapon to keep or work on.

I thought about that angle as the reason. I guess I should have been more clear on my question. Since these stores have the sign in place would we not be in violation of the law if we carried into them with our guns loaded?

I thought about that angle as the reason. I guess I should have been more clear on my question. Since these stores have the sign in place would we not be in violation of the law if we carried into them with our guns loaded?

IMO No, as again, IMO they do not meet the requirements of 39-17-1359.

If HB3125 passes, then there is no doubt those type signs would not meet 39-17-1359 as that bill requires "exact" wording to be valid.

It's also ironic that the gun-shows have "no concealed carry" posted on the doors. Give me a break, when I drive to downtown Knoxville I'm packing and I'm not going to leave my gun in the car. I would bet most of the people at the gun shows carry anyways.

It's also ironic that the gun-shows have "no concealed carry" posted on the doors. Give me a break, when I drive to downtown Knoxville I'm packing and I'm not going to leave my gun in the car. I would bet most of the people at the gun shows carry anyways.

And just what would the penalty be if caught doing so?

The no weapons sign encounter thread got me to thinking about something. Does anybody besides me think it ironic that almost every gun store in the country has a "No Loaded Guns" sign on the door of their store. I mean I go into gun stores and pawn shops all over this country in about 20 different states and I can probably count on one hand the number of stores that do not have a sign like this. Many of these same stores have HCP classes and in the class they frown on places that don't allow carry. Even to the point of advocating the boycott of such businesses. Seems a bit on the hypocritical side to me.

Let's hear y'alls thoughts.

I asked last time I was at Specialty Arms. The guy behind the counter told me that people were constantly trying holsters for fit with their weapons. Safety thing.

Sorry for the double post. The server kept giving the a timeout error.

Edited by mikegideon
Guest archerdr1

Sportsman's warehouse just simply says that if you are going to try on a holster or taking it out of it's holster, you must unload it before going into the store and check in with the front counter. They give you a tag and you are good to go. If you are not going to take it out of it's holster, you are welcome to carry it.

Coming from my experience at The Outpost, its only a safety thing when bringing trades into the building.

I don't want Joe Blow Redneck to hand me a loaded .500 S&W Mag, when he walked in carrying it in his hand. All of us got a little nervous when you walked in with a gun in hand, and a magazine inserted.

It's not a "you can't carry here" thing, it's a "why on earth did someone sell you a firearm in the first place" thing for the dumb people in the world.

Guest Glock23ForMe

Most of those signs I have seen, around the Murfreesboro area, say something to the effect of "No Handling of Loaded Firearms" which, to me, is interpreted as, If it's loaded, keep it in your holster. (As long as someone doesn't come in waving a gun around, it will stay there)

Guest rockbottom12

yeah no gun signs are far to common among gun stores. and i have seen too many properly posted as well. I dont know about the carrying at a gun show. there is too many cops who will spot ya. I dont know how that would turn out.

another one that really gets me. I took a carry course given at the knox co. range. the guy in charge told me on the phone and on the day of "we dont allow live ammo in the room, we dont want another VA. tech shooting on our hands" that one really confused me. I am getting my permit so i can protect myself in case of this and he is saying that removing ammo from the room and making it to where the only allowed gun is a dummy gun and doing this will protect us from a shooting?

yeah no gun signs are far to common among gun stores. and i have seen too many properly posted as well.

Where?

I dont know about the carrying at a gun show. there is too many cops who will spot ya. I dont know how that would turn out.

Knoxville Chilhowee Park show is held in illegal venue to begin with, so I fit right in.

- OS

Guest HvyMtl

Hmm. If I remember correctly, the only gun show I have seen allowing Conceal Carry is "The Mid-South Guns and Gear Expo" which has deep connections to this forum.

Mid-South Guns And Gear Expo - For Attendees

Their policy sounds fair to me.

Effectively, the sign is up for three reasons... 1) So someone doesn't goof up, 2) Insurance purposes, and 3) if some dolt tries to hold them up, they can tell quicker. (And a "dolt" they would have to be, as all the gun stores I have been in, the sales staff are all open carrying....)

I asked last time I was at Specialty Arms. The guy behind the counter told me that people were constantly trying holsters for fit with their weapons. Safety thing.

Years ago, responded to a gunshot call at the local police equipment supplier, where an officer was buying a holster for a snubby. He had a wide trigger shoe, which caught the belt clip mount inside the holster firing the weapon, putting the round through the webbing 'tween the thumb and index finger. Very bloody but no major damage. UNLOAD AND UNLOAD AGAIN BEFORE messin' with your weapon.