No guns sign encounter

I was at a local get together where there was the sign "No weapons allowed". I've known the guy for a long time and privately ask his feelings on it telling him I have an HCP. He said he doesn't want anything like that around the kids. It is mainly an older generation thing but there are some kids there. Heck, one of the main reasons I carry is for my kids.

Now I didn't bother to argue with him as he seems set in his ways. I also didn't bother to tell him he was improperly posted.

The funny thing is the very next day in the same building there was a gun safety class going on. Go figure.:stick:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker
I never say a word. I only disarm if explicitly says so in the laws (schools, federal buildings) or if they happen to have a LEGAL sign.

+1

I wouldn't have said anything if he hadn't been an old friend. I wanted to get a feel about how he felt about it. I thought there could've been a chance he put it up to satisfy other people, or some kind of committee meeting outcome, or any number of things. But no. He just an anti.

It is mainly an older generation thing but there are some kids there. Heck, one of the main reasons I carry is for my kids.

I can't say I agree with that. My father, his friends and most of my uncles have passed on but they all had guns in their homes, hunted, and enjoyed shooting as much as anyone I know. I have a 79 year old uncle that lives near me and whenever I visit him the conversation will eventially turn to guns. The only place I can shoot in this area is in his backyard. I keep trying to get him to sell me his Springfield Trapdoor rifle but he won't budge. He has some nice old weapons and a few modern guns. Anytime I bring something to shoot, he'll get something out to shoot with me.

Growing up, I was around guns all the time. I was hunting by myself at 12 and can remember taking a rifle to shop class to show off. Try that today! Hunting rifles could be found in a lot of vehicles in the school parking lot during hunting season. Shockingly enough, nobody ever got shot.

I'd say that most people I know that are anti-gun are people 40 or younger. Clearly, it does sound like the gentleman you mentioned had concerns about guns but I can't possibly see it as an older generation thing.

Signed,

A grumpy, almost older generation, gun lover.

Guest 70below

I may be mistaken Motasyco, but I think he was referring to the get together being more of an older generation thing, not the carry part.

I can't say I agree with that. My father, his friends and most of my uncles have passed on but they all had guns in their homes, hunted, and enjoyed shooting as much as anyone I know. I have a 79 year old uncle that lives near me and whenever I visit him the conversation will eventially turn to guns. The only place I can shoot in this area is in his backyard. I keep trying to get him to sell me his Springfield Trapdoor rifle but he won't budge. He has some nice old weapons and a few modern guns. Anytime I bring something to shoot, he'll get something out to shoot with me.

Growing up, I was around guns all the time. I was hunting by myself at 12 and can remember taking a rifle to shop class to show off. Try that today! Hunting rifles could be found in a lot of vehicles in the school parking lot during hunting season. Shockingly enough, nobody ever got shot.

I'd say that most people I know that are anti-gun are people 40 or younger. Clearly, it does sound like the gentleman you mentioned had concerns about guns but I can't possibly see it as an older generation thing.

Signed,

A grumpy, almost older generation, gun lover.

Sorry, I should've worded a little better. It is more of an older generation that attends this get together, but any one is welcome and there are kids there regularly.

Guest Sgt. Joe
I have forgotten more about being grumpy than most people have ever learned.

I'm with ya on that statement Mike....;)

But it gave me pause to think of those who may have to be around me should I make it another 10-20 years...:eek:

I am pretty sure no one will hang around very long...;)