Affordable first time 1911

I was wondering is there a particular brand of 1911 style pistols that would be good for someone on a budget? I love my Glock but those Kimber ads in American Rifleman make my mouth water:drool:. As much as I like the Kimbers, it may be a while before I can afford one (even more so for the Les Baer's). I realize the old saying, "You get what you pay for" rings true for most things including guns. However, is there a decent 1911 style pistol that one could find for under $1,000?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tennesseevolz

you can get many new Colts in this range (Guns and leather and The Outpost had some in stock recently)--- check out the Colt XSE's or the NRM 1991's--- also Springfields can be had in this range w/ many features- just my 2 cents.

Guest Plainsman

If your really wantin one of those Kimbers, you can probably get one used. I know another member had one for sale here not long ago...believe it was a CDP II. Fine lookin' firearm for exactly $1000.

Springfield mil spec runs way under that, along with the new Para GI expert at $599 retail. I haven't handled the Para though. RIA, Taurus and some others that you'll find to be well within your budget.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will have to check those recommendations out. I would prefer a 3" or 4' barrel for concealment. I do love my Glock 23, but that first trigger pull is the only thing I don't like about it. I am sure it is a safety feature to prevent AD's. I am aware of the lighter mods available for Glocks (I believe it is the 3.5 or 3lb connector bars?). The 1911 is a beautifully made firearm. Wouldn't it be awesome if Glock made a 1911-style pistol (I know, I know it's a really wishful thinking) ;). I also have other guns on my wish list: Colt Anaconda .44 mag and an AR-15. I will have to start a new thread on those. Thanks!

Guest bart_p

The newer Sig Sauer 1911's are great guns. My only gripe about them is that external extractor, but it works like a charm (just isn't fitting for a 1911) They can be found right around that $1000 mark and have no MIM parts to boot.

Bart

Dan Wesson Heritage

The 08 and 09 can be found for just under $1000

They are Excellent Pistols Tight Slide to frame fit .. No mim parts,,,

Out of the box they are under 2" at 25 yards and have great triggers..

There is one unfired on gunbroker

No Reserve! Started at $800.00

Buy now is for $900.00

Description for Item # 161689319

transparentcorner_topright.gif

DW Heritage 45 ACP SS. As new from factory. Box, Papers, 3 SS mags Original Grips and Double Diamond Cocobolo. Unfired since factory. note, this is stock photo. gun is unblemished, no scratches, dings or marks.

You have all kinds of good options at that price really. You could get a Springfiled Mil Spec for around $500 or a loaded for around a $1000. A used Kimber CDP II for around $1000. Smith & Wesson 1911's are pretty good for around $800. Sig has some decent 1911 options for around $1000. The Para GI expert is a good bare bones 1911 that can be had for around $550. Also for around $450 or so the Rock Island is a good option. I would tend to stay away from the Taurus as I feel there are plenty of better options at that price range. Yuo just have to look around but for $1000 you should be able to walk away with a good middle of the road 1911.

under $1000 you have a large pool of quality 1911s.

lowest priced to highest

RIA GI

RIA tactical

SA GI

SA Mil-spec

STI

Para GI Expert

SA loaded

S&W has a few choices.

I prefer Springfield. in your price range the loaded is nice.

Edited by gotigers
I realize the old saying, "You get what you pay for" rings true for most things including guns. However, is there a decent 1911 style pistol that one could find for under $1,000?

You can get an excellent 1911 for under a grand. S&W, Kimber, and SA all have options for a $1000 or less if you look around. My Smith & Wesson SW1911 Stainless Target was right at $900 out the door (4 years ago). I had a Kimber Custom TLE II at the same time I paid about $750 for used. About a year ago I bought a used Kimber SIS Ultra for under a grand.

The best thing you can do is to either find people that have what you are interested in or check with a local range and see if they have a quality 1911 and one of the Philippines guns (sold under several different names) so you can see why there is a price difference and if it is something you would want to pay for.

I have two Rock Islands and my wife has one. All are accurate and eat anything you want to feed them. Although none can take the place of my Dan Wesson CBOB, neither could any Kimber I've held. For a 1911 in Officer size, my Rock Island Compact is top notch and never failed where I've heard of feed issues with other compacts.

You're wise to do the research before buying by name alone.