Anyone own a Kel Tec RFB?

Guest drv2fst

Guest drv2fst

I really like what I see on the Internet about these guns. Does anyone here own one? Is anyone close enough to Murfreesboro to meet up and go shooting? I'd love to try one for myself. I'd bring some really cool stuff to shoot as well, and much ammo.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also interested. But the price and lack of availability aren't impressive. And there aren't enough of them out there for the reliability and durability to have any track record. When I see one at a gun show for under $1000, I'll be a whole lot more interested.

I'm also interested. But the price and lack of availability aren't impressive. And there aren't enough of them out there for the reliability and durability to have any track record. When I see one at a gun show for under $1000, I'll be a whole lot more interested.

I've been interested in several of the Kel-Tech rifles, but their "6,000 round expected life" statement always nags at me.

I guess you could always send it back in (orig. owner's, according to warranty) lifetime for rebuild, but still....

- OS

Guest Paulie771

buddy of mine just picked one up at the Nashville gun show for $800 out the door. Cheapest I've ever heard of one being sold. There's only one on GB right now, and it's 1825 with 3 days left, so who knows.

buddy of mine just picked one up at the Nashville gun show for $800 out the door. Cheapest I've ever heard of one being sold. There's only one on GB right now, and it's 1825 with 3 days left, so who knows.

$800! Sounds like a heck of a deal!

$800! Sounds like a heck of a deal!

Considering dealer cost is almost $1200 I would say so.

I have shot one considerably.

Trigger sucks and it handles like a 2x4.

Some jackholes will get on here and whine about how it isn't anything like I thought.

To each their own.

Guest drv2fst

but, but, but, the advertisements state that this the be best trigger ever on any gun. How could the be wrong???? ;)

Thanks for the feedback.

Guest JHatmaker

Daniel, aka Metalhead also had major feeding issues w/ his. Said he tried several brands of ammo and could hardly get any to feed reliably.

did you mean $1800?

Guest Paulie771

No. Why would I comment on the fact there's one on Gunbroker for $1825 if he bought it for $1800? Like wise, the "cheapest I've ever heard of..." comment would seem to go against your question as well.

Guest JHatmaker
No. Why would I comment on the fact there's one on Gunbroker for $1825 if he bought it for $1800? Like wise, the "cheapest I've ever heard of..." comment would seem to go against your question as well.

First off, chill out, he was just asking if you meant $1800 b/c $800 out the door just seems to good to be true, especially for a new one. I find that extremely hard to believe (not saying you're lying), but him questioning the price paid is valid in this case...

Not really interested in an RFB, but if anyone is having any issues with their Keltec product, just send it back to them - by all accounts when something comes back from the factory it works perfectly...

Not really interested in an RFB, but if anyone is having any issues with their Keltec product, just send it back to them - by all accounts when something comes back from the factory it works perfectly...

True, but it may be a design issue on the RFB. I really like them and Kel-Tec, but I want to see more track record. The ejection system is curious to me. I expect issues from a small company that doesn't have the money of a S&W or Remington to throughly field test a new product. KT tends to do a lot of filed test with customers. Not a bad thing since they take care of them.

Small?

Wiki says:

"According to the ATF, Kel-Tec is the third largest handgun maker in the U.S."

- OS

Haha, I guess it's all relative. compared to Les Baer? Yeah they're huge. compared to S&W they're very, very small. Beside how many "makers" are actually in the US?:D

Guest 1817ak47
but their "6,000 round expected life" statement always nags

I noticed that too a while back. but maybe just maybe they mean a absolute minimum worst case scenario.. just saying maybe

Haha, I guess it's all relative. compared to Les Baer? Yeah they're huge. compared to S&W they're very, very small. Beside how many "makers" are actually in the US?:D

just "biggie" handgun makers off top of head:

Ruger

S&W

Kimber

Kahr

Hi-Point

North American Arms

Para

Charter Arms

Kel-Tec

Dunno if that counts like Beretta USA, Walther USA, and the like.

I wouldn't sneeze at being third, eh? :)

- OS

got a link? Id like to see who are the top 2 and when the list was made.

Well, Wiki is:

Kel-Tec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If they hadn't put a reference for the statement, probably wouldn't have quoted it.

And link to BATF reference is:

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/stats/afmer/afmer2006.pdf

But I get a security message failure trying to access it.

Filename would suggest it was 2006 info.

search for "afmer2006.pdf" gets many hits, but all of them seem to be dead.

apparently it became:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/stats/afmer/afmer2006.pdf

for a while, but that's gone too.

Couldn't find manufacturer stats info on ATF site either.

So, no joy for now.

- OS

edit: here are statistics by year at ATF:

Annual Firearms Manufacturers And Export Report

ATF Online - Statistics

latest is 2008:

http://www.atf.gov/statistics/download/afmer/2008-firearms-manufacturers-export-report.pdf

Edited by OhShoot
First off, chill out, he was just asking if you meant $1800 b/c $800 out the door just seems to good to be true, especially for a new one. I find that extremely hard to believe (not saying you're lying), but him questioning the price paid is valid in this case...

Precisely, even at a gun show if someone tries to sell me an RFB for $800, I would be very suspect.

Edited by kesava
Guest rystine
True, but it may be a design issue on the RFB. I really like them and Kel-Tec, but I want to see more track record. The ejection system is curious to me. I expect issues from a small company that doesn't have the money of a S&W or Remington to throughly field test a new product. KT tends to do a lot of filed test with customers. Not a bad thing since they take care of them.

I may be wrong, but doesn't the FN FS2000 have the same type of forward-ejection system? It does seem like an unusual system, but it seems to work. At least I haven't read about any problems with it.

Of course I haven't really done alot of digging on either the RFB or the FS2000, so I may be wrong.

Guest JHatmaker

I owned an FS2000 and never had an issue with it. It's forward ejection system doesn't dispense brass after every shot, but after they start to collect in the ejection tube. It's kinda wierd if you're watching someone shoot one, b/c they'll be firing and nothing happens then all of a sudden a bunch of brass comes out at once.