Best 1911 under $1500

Guest Plainsman

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hero Gear was building their own Commander bobtail last I heard. Maybe see what kind of price Joe can get one to you for, I think they were around $1500-1700.

Definitely,

If you want a Commander 1911, This is the best thing going if you get one for that price you will not be able to beat that!!!

...In short the gear help to some extent, but you come to a point of diminishing returns when spending money on fancy guns like most of the ones mentioned. Are they good? Yes! Will you be able to shoot a $600 Para GI better than a $1300 cbob? Not unless you practice!

1911's like many products that have long reached their pinnacle...boil down to Ford vs Ferrari.

...In short the gear help to some extent, but you come to a point of diminishing returns when spending money on fancy guns like most of the ones mentioned. Are they good? Yes! Will you be able to shoot a $600 Para GI better than a $1300 cbob? Not unless you practice!

1911's like many products that have long reached their pinnacle...boil down to Ford vs Ferrari.

+1000.

If you're buying it to shoot it, and not to shine it and try to impress anyone with it's "name", than you have many great options within reach of your budget.

I just got in a mini war in another thread on here the other day about this same kind of thing as I said I didn't think my pricey "name" 1911 was worth it's lofty price-tag that it cost... and I meant it.

Shooting a handgun accurately is hard, the thing that will help shrink your groups most is actually just shooting more, definitely more so than spending a couple more grand on a pistol that'll supposedly shoot groups half an inch smaller at 25 yards (especially since most people shoot around fist-size groups on average at that distance regardless of the gun unless they're putting in the work at the range).

Under $1500 you could get a CBOB, an STI Trojan (or even cheaper Spartan), lots of solid well-finished guns or if you can wait a bit, you get one of these: Fusion Firearms - and used, who knows what you could score... IMO, anyone who tells you that you gotta spend more to get something as good as theirs is probably doing more collecting than shooting.

The only important thing is to remember to shoot the darn thing, don't get the Ferrari and then keep it in the garage polishing it with a diaper (which I'm pretty sure is the life a lot of these supposedly stupid-accurate high-end 1911's lead)... they're like guitars, I've had $50 dollar guitars that played great and sounded fantastic and $5000 guitars that just sucked, there's a lot to be said for just being lucky enough to happen upon one that has been stuck together with the right mojo.

Take a hard look at an STI Trojan or Ranger II www.stiguns.com. If you are thinking about a Kimber, go to an IDPA match. The guy cussing his 1911 and talking about switching to tactical plastic probably has a Kimber in his hand.

:lol: Funny... AND true from what I've seen! (Kimber introduced me to my first Glock...):lol:

Edited by CK1
Guest Plainsman
If you are thinking about a Kimber, go to an IDPA match. The guy cussing his 1911 and talking about switching to tactical plastic probably has a Kimber in his hand.

That is exactly the input I am looking for, but I am wondering why he would be cussing his gun?

I will no doubt shoot this firearm. Although I would like to keep it looking as nice as possible, I'm not one to mind shooting them either. Although I am in the market for a higher dollar 1911 I don't mind spending the time at the range. My Springfield has gone bang every single time since I got it and it wasn't a $1500 gun. I just kinda want something "nicer" right now that I will enjoy talking about and will enjoy carrying. I started this thread to see what the opinions and options were in this market along with hoping to get some feed back.

Sounds like you're looking for a pre-2010 CBOB to me...

(Damn, I've always wanted a CBOB and have heard nothing but good things, have kind of wanted a 1911 in 9mm for a while too, just saw their '10 Guardian 9mm and now I think I need it...)

Edited by CK1
That is exactly the input I am looking for, but I am wondering why he would be cussing his gun?

not to speak for deerslayer, but I think he's implying that the Kimber owner would be cussin' his gun because it didn't go bang when he wanted it too....:)

at least that describes what I've observed at the range...

but, to keep it fair...I've also seen some fellows cussin' their Glocks too...

[quote=I_Like_Pie;482731 Will you be able to shoot a $600 Para GI better than a $1300 cbob? Not unless you practice!

True that. The most accuarte 1911 I ever shot was a rental at a place in Vegas and it was a beat up Para. I've never shot any gun better.

Guest LieutenantDan67

I just got a new SA 1911 Loaded Bi-tone this weekend for a really good deal because it had a couple of factory blemish spots on the slide (you can see one in the picture) but it shoots really nice!

I bought this to shoot, not sit.

Plus I like that it's 'scratch and dent' cuz now I don't have to worry if it takes a knock, LOL.

1911_031410023.jpg

Guest Plainsman
I just got a new SA 1911 Loaded Bi-tone this weekend for a really good deal because it had a couple of factory blemish spots on the slide (you can see one in the picture) but it shoots really nice!

I bought this to shoot, not sit.

Plus I like that it's 'scratch and dent' cuz now I don't have to worry if it takes a knock, LOL.

I hear ya. My SA didn't have any of the factory blemishes, but it had the "idiot mark" on it from the slide stop along with a few other knocks. Still looks good to the average Joe. It was my first one and it was a decent deal, so I went ahead and got it. I've learned a lot from that gun since I wasn't so worried about keeping it in pristine condition.

Dan Wesson Valor

I have 2 of them 09 & SS Valor

Accurate goes bang every time looks good and feels good in the hand..

If you look for a new SS one that has a Blemish which has nothing to do with function they go for around $1200 to a little over $1300..