Best 1911 under $1500

Guest Plainsman

Guest Plainsman

I'm in the market for another 1911 and have about $1500 potentially to spend. I believe that this takes me out of the Wilson/Nighthawk/Brown market, but was curious as to opinions from others on 1911's around this price. I am looking for a .45acp commander, for easier carry. I'm just not really fond of the officer in .45acp. I currently have a Govmt. SA loaded, which I love but its just to big for me to carry most of the time. I hear of less accuracy in the Springers over a Kimber. I've heard the criticism of Kimber, yet others seem to live by them. I like the look of the Kimber Pro Carry II for instance, and its less than the CDP II with basically the same specs. It would leave me some money to spare too. The Dan Wesson's get a lot of good talk, but I can't seem to find them most places. Are these three manufactures going to be my best bet, or have I overlooked something?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have I overlooked something?

In that price range you have Smith & Wesson and Kimber. Kimber is a given; you just can’t beat them. But I found the Smith & Wesson to be every bit as good. I have not owned the SW1911 Compact (Commander size), but I have the full size SW1911 stainless target and it is sweet.

If you are going to pay for the Wesson name; get the real deal.

J/K…… kinda. :D

Guest Todd@CIS

I'm an ex-1911 junkie who loves Commander sized guns (also, big fan of the "bobtail" treatment).

IF I were to get back into the 1911 platform and had $1500 to work with, I'd get a Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm (Commander-sized, alloy CBOB).

If it has to be a .45ACP, then I'd get a Dan Wesson CBOB or a used, Series I Kimber ProCarry.

Edited by Todd@CIS

+1 for Dan Wesson. hands down the best 1911 for under $1500, IMHO. fit very well, and lots of Ed Brown parts. think of it as an "entry-level custom". :D

you mentioned wanting it for easy carry. the DW CCO would be tough to beat. here's mine:

IMG_0615.jpg

In that price range you have Smith & Wesson and Kimber. Kimber is a given; you just can’t beat them. But I found the Smith & Wesson to be every bit as good. I have not owned the SW1911 Compact (Commander size), but I have the full size SW1911 stainless target and it is sweet.

If you are going to pay for the Wesson name; get the real deal.

J/K…… kinda. :screwy:

External extractor...:D

JK - I love Smith's

Under $1500.00, I would go with the Dan Wesson Vbob but if I were you I would save an additional $300.00 and get a Les Baer TRS, just something to think about it carries as easy as my commanders

Edited by willis68
Guest BigShot

+6 on the Dan Wesson if you are stuck on that price range. Just saw a DW CBOB .45 somwhere in the TGO classifieds for less than that. May still be available... :D

The question is who is the best for the money. The lockup on the "Made-in-USA" Dan Wessons I have held have been impressive to say the least. Tight bushings and slides. Nice triggers. For the money... it would rate best, in my opinion. That said, wonder why I don't own one yet?? The three DWs that have shot next to me at the range looked good, felt good but did not out shoot my Springer, Paras or my two homemade 1911s. I'm saving my money to go the next level with a Wilson, NightHawk or maybe an Ed Brown. Just don't know yet.

What I do know is if you are holding the cash, there are deals to be had. That's why I'm still wishin'. :stunned:

Guest Plainsman

Wow, what a good response for the Dan Wesson. Although I'm really looking forward to making a purchase, I can definately keep the funds from burning up my pocket and wait until I handle a few different guns. I am now considering a Dan Wesson much more, and will do some research along with trying find a few to handle at some shops. I must say, the bobtail is very appealing to me at this point. Thanks for the input!

Looks like lots of models will be discontinued for 2010....marketing ploy to increase demand? I'll keep my eyes open, but the price hike always seems to hit what I'm looking for. Odd how that works!

Edited by Plainsman
Guest redbarron06

Give Guns and Leather a call. Last time I was up there they had a commander sized Wilson Combat KZ (polymer frame all other parts genuine 1911). You can get the Wison Combat quality and accuricy for around that price.

Guest tbone

I got a S&W 1911 for about $850.00. Mine is stainless with the tac rail. I have never shot a high end custom 1911 like the types mentioned above. But I can tell you it is extremely accurate, (more than I am), utterly reliable and has a great trigger. I would seriously consider it and save the difference. (Well...not really save, I would blow it on ammo, gear, guns, etc.)

Call Hero Gear. They had a few when I was looking for mine a few months ago, but I could not make the trip down. Whittakerguns.com had a few as well.

I bought the Herritage .45 and love it. In my opinion it is made as well as any Wilson or Ed Brown I have shot, granted I haven't shot more than a hand full of either.

Guest rabidrhino

What about one of STI's offerings? I really enjoyed playing with their new compact series at the Shot Show. I have put many rounds through my 40SW Trojan and have no complaints at all.

If you want a real 1911. Get one with a horsey on it. Colt makes a fine 1911. I can see there are not many Colt fans out here but they have been making 1911's for 100 years. You can get a basic Colt 1911 for under $1000 and trick it out any way you want to.

My Colt 1911 has never been altered. It will hold it's own with the more expensive guns. My 1911 guru says not to spend a lot of money on a 1911, just get a good frame and start from there. He builds 1911s. I just shoot them....

Edited by Will Carry