KCSO Handgun Carry Class

Hello all - newb alert. My Fiance and I are taking the KCSO handgun permit class next month, and I was wondering if anyone knows what the range qualification test will be like. I know its going to be 48 rounds per person, but I'd like to know how many shots will be fired from each distance. It looks like each class does something a little different, and we are going to try and get some range time to practice before the class, so any information will be helpful. Been lurking around here for the past few weeks, but I haven't been able to find an answer to my question after some searches. Sorry mods if this should be in tactics instead of carry.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't sweat the test. You've got to try to fail either the shoot and the written. One word of advice to your and your Finance, do attend another class or two related to SD HG carry. The permit class is kind of a joke to me. Just the means to an end.

Happy Shooting

How much is the KCSO charging for the class? Couldn't find any info about it. Seems like since it's supposed to be a right to carry that each county sheriff should have to offer free classes...just an idea!

Matthew

$85.00, although I like your idea better.

Wish I had taken my class there. The instuctor Mike Lett, is also the chief firearms trainer for the KCSO. Know several people who have taken the class there and all had a good experience.

Lett also has the best prices on new pistolas at the Knoxville gun shows.

Wish I had taken my class there. The instuctor Mike Lett, is also the chief firearms trainer for the KCSO. Know several people who have taken the class there and all had a good experience.

Lett also has the best prices on new pistolas at the Knoxville gun shows.

Yeah, I was talking to him about the course at one of the January shows -he 'twisted' my arm to pick up a Glock 22. I've heard good things about the course, I'm looking forward to taking it.

it is a top notch class. Lett knows what he is talking about. I am not sure why they did this, but they recorded serial numbers off the pistols being used in my class there. :puke:. Your wife and yourself can share the same pistol too. You will just be in different relays.

Plan on about 10 hours at the place. Bring a lunch. Seriously there is no place close enough to go and be back in time from breaks. They break about once an hour for a few minutes so Lett can go and catch a smoke, LOL.

The range is awesome, it is very clean. And it is the only time you will ever be able to use it. NO public use of the place at all aside from the HCP classes.

it is a top notch class. Lett knows what he is talking about. I am not sure why they did this, but they recorded serial numbers off the pistols being used in my class there. :puke:. Your wife and yourself can share the same pistol too. You will just be in different relays.

Plan on about 10 hours at the place. Bring a lunch. Seriously there is no place close enough to go and be back in time from breaks. They break about once an hour for a few minutes so Lett can go and catch a smoke, LOL.

The range is awesome, it is very clean. And it is the only time you will ever be able to use it. NO public use of the place at all aside from the HCP classes.

They mention "have your serial number ready" in the info letter they send out. Maybe they run the numbers during the course (of course, how stupid would have to be to show up with a stolen gun at the police training course)? :P

My fiance and I are going to share my G22 unless she has trouble shooting it this weekend.

Thanks for the info.

I took my class here in the 'boro and the class was NOT what I would have expected. There were 30 of us, and several people were obviously only interested in finding out all they could about how they could shoot someone, brandish their weapon and get away with it. They kept asking so many questions about scenarios that the legitimate questions some of us had we never got to ask. Also, there were a few who were so interested in shooting all they could. They took us to the range in groups of five and one group was in there for an hour. So we actually only got about 3 hours clasroom and an hour (maybe) on the range. The rest was spent sitting in the classroom while the ONE instructor spent the time with the other 5 groups of 5 in the range. Poorly laid out. Im definitely looking to take some more classes since its been a while since ive been active.

Lett puts on an awesome class. I would highly recommend this class to anyone. My wife took it also and she is glad she went just for the awareness portion. Mike goes above and beyond in explination and i feel better prepared knowing all the info i learned there.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd bump this back up after taking the class. Thanks for the info, the shooting portion was easy, so we stressed about nothing. I was pretty impressed by Sgt. Lett's class and the instruction provided. The range facility is really nice as well.

The class also seemed very friendly to females - my fiance had never shot a handgun (just shotguns and rifles) before the class and had a positive experience (ready to get her own handgun and go back to the range). My only gripe is that I wish the state would change that video or just eliminate it (not a reflection on Lett at all). Most of it is horribly inaccurate, and we went over the issues in better detail in the lecture.

Guest JimMc

In my case, the make, mod and serial number of the handgun I qualified with, was noted on my original HCP application. My instructor suggested that I come by and qualify with each and every handgun I purchase for SD. That would be recorded and kept on file. I suppose it has something to do with litigation should (and heaven forbid) that ever became an issue.

Be Safe

Guest eyescream
In my case, the make, mod and serial number of the handgun I qualified with, was noted on my original HCP application. My instructor suggested that I come by and qualify with each and every handgun I purchase for SD. That would be recorded and kept on file. I suppose it has something to do with litigation should (and heaven forbid) that ever became an issue.

Be Safe

I never thought I'd be the one leading the tin-foil hat brigade, but that smacks of de-facto registration to me.

Why would you qualify with all the handguns you decide to carry when there's no mechanism in the state of Tennessee by which HCP holders need to record what weapons they're qualified to carry? It's one thing to practice and make sure you're familiar with the weapon, but to qualify has a nasty ring to it to me.

Furthermore, what, exactly, are they going to do with the serial numbers of all your weapons? Keep them on file, they said?

Um…no thanks.

We had the OPTION to have noted on our certificate what model and caliber we qualified on. No serial numbers were recorded. Lett placed an emphasis on continuing training and practice, but specifically stated that there was no requirement to re-qualify if we changed carry guns (correct reading of TN law).

Guest eyescream
We had the OPTION to have noted on our certificate what model and caliber we qualified on. No serial numbers were recorded. Lett placed an emphasis on continuing training and practice, but specifically stated that there was no requirement to re-qualify if we changed carry guns (correct reading of TN law).

I'm down with that. It sounds like you had a good class.