Need assist from the PC/Windows experts

Think I have picked up a virus somehow. Did not have anti-virus as I'm behind a router and have been for 4 years with no issues. I am running SpyBot. I got it to run last night and it said I had two Trojans which Spy Bot removed. Machine then started running slower and slower. Checking with Hi Jack this, I couldn't see anything I could identify as running in the background.

I then tried to update Spy Bot thinking it was something new and Spy Bot quit working! I then got really concerned and went to download AVG. Wouldn't even connect to the internet when I tried to download it after getting the start up file. Then tried to get Avast. I at least got it downloaded but it never appeared in the programs file or desk top. What ever this is is smart! After trying repeatedly to get Avast to install and show up, the machine went to the blue screen of death and dumped its memory.

I was able to get it back up in safe mode and then "last known good config" which is where I'm at now but it still won't let me load Avast or update Spybot. Anyone know a fix using hijack this to get what ever this most recent attack is or do I need to go spend dollars on a box version of AVG or something else.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the best thing to do would be to back up your data and reinstall windows (or ubuntu, which is what i recommend). if that's not an option, then try booting into safe mode (hit F8 when booting), run an avg scan, a spybot scan and a malwarebytes scan.

sometimes, once those things get in there, it's almost impossible to get rid of all the bad stuff.

You are the 5th or 6th person that I know who's had this very issue in the last 2 weeks. Exact same thing.

I was finally able to download Malwarebytes.org onto a friends laptop and resolve the issue. Not sure what the others tried.

I would also suggest spending a few bucks on a quality antivirus and spyware program. I know many who swear by the free stuff, but the paid versions are out there for a reason.

Guest theoldguy

Reboot computer . when you see writing on your screen hit your f8 button about every second. when the safe mode menu comes up check safe mode with networking. when computer starts up download and install avast again. when it finishes installing. it will ask you if you want to schedule a boot time scan..say yes and let it reboot. its will start running a scan prior to windows booting up..when it finds something hit #2 delete all towards the end it may ask you if you are sure you want to scan c:\windows folder, again #2 yes and if finds anything #2 delete all..that should fix most of it. when it finally boots up..look for and download a program called malwarebytes..install/update and run it..again delete everything it finds..that should clear you up.

download Malwarebytes.org

+1 great program, free.

you don't need to worry about spyware programs... don't download everything that comes your way and you have nothing to worry about. firewalls have nothing to do with downloading viruses. keep windows up to date with automatic security updates and your PC will run smoothly for a long time.

I down load almost nothing. If I'm on, I'm here or doing some online bill pay. Also hit U Tube quite a bit.

As stated, been using just the router as the firewall since 2006 with no issues. Will go back to safe mode and download this malwarebytes or reinstall Avast and see what happens.

Thanks

My laptop is a Windows unit and I had issues with it as well. My brother, a computer tech, said I should try a program called "Avira". It worked great!! There's a free version you can download. It found quite a few viruses that were still on there from two years ago!! Had been running Spybot and AVG but they both showed no problems. Highly recommend it. Laptop runs much better now.

Guest Glock23ForMe

You have a few options, restoring windows could work, but you would have to do the factory image restore. This, about 90% of the time, works. Another option is, if you never want a virus again, to open your window, sling the PC as far as you can and buy a Mac. :)

I have used a feebie (&upgradable) download that works great.

SUPERAntiSpyware.com | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!

It searches really deep and finds bugs and files that other AV's couldn't.

My regular anti-virus is Bit Defender, and it is the best I have found.

Hope this helps

x2 on SUPERAntiSpyware as stated before it is nearly impossible to get everything off but I have had goodluck using SuperAntispyware, Malwarebytes and another program called CCLEANER.

I run Norton Internet Security usually once a month but I run the free ones once a week with CCleaner after I run SAS or Malwarebytes. CCleaner cleans up files left behind after something is uninstalled or quarantined it is a really nice program. Use the registry tab as seen below

l_b01668d77cbb4b2d89d5e944e18d5e14.jpg

Backup and reinstall. You may never get rid of all of it plus key loggers and other things could be present.

Backing up now would back up the bug I think.

It's a smart bug as it shuts down the services of Avast. Avast is present and starts but then states it's inconsistent or the service is not available. I go to the services file and find three Avast services, one for the program, one for the mail scanner and one for something else. All are disabled. I cannot access them in anyway to set them to start. Wow.

I'll try a few of the other links but I'm pretty much set to back up my tax info, some pictures and then reinstall the factory (Dell) original files.

If I'm not back in a week, some of you come by and see if I'm alive, it may have spread to me by then! LOL

For a Vista or Windows 7 machine here is a live cd to use to scan with - Dr.Web CureIt! — ??????? ????????? ?????????! ??????? ???????, ?????? ?????????? ?????????!

just download burn and reboot to cd and scan

For a Windows Xp machine nothing can beat ComboFix its a simple runs in dos scanner and killer that fixs most everything or atleast takes it to the point where a standard scanner can be installed. I really wish they would make it Windows 7 usable soon.

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

For a good free spyware antivirus i suggest Microsoft Essentials it runs great using all of 2mb of system ram and has very high ratings compared to the more paid systems out there.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

If still having problems then do a scan with hijack this and pm to me if you want and i'll look it over but a lot of stuff is sneaking around that program now adays.

Guest ogreabroad

You have lots of good suggestions as far as programs to use... but I would add this:

Two things:

One... always have an anti-virus prgram, and preferably a suite. Ensure it is a PAID version, a the free ones leave a lot out... they are there as teasers to get you to buy their paid version. Try a free version for a week or so, if you like it... upgrade to the paid version.

Two... Restoring to the Last known good configuration is useful if you werent able to log on, or if you install something and havent logged off yet... but thats about it. The way that works is it reverts your computer back to the most recent checkpoint. Checkpoints are created when you install some software, and also when you successfully log on... so if you log on, and things are hinky... reverting back to the latest checkpoint wont do you any good.

I know the above info wont help you with your current situation, but hopefully it will help you avoid a repeat, or at least save you some troubleshooting time!

Reckon I'm back from the dead. Thanks for the links, I didn't really want to wade through all that in slower safe mode.

I ended up using the Superspyware and Malwarebytes to clean it enough to get Avast to finally fully install and get to a boot scan and clean up. Seems stable now.

I'll invest in a paid program after a bit more research. Need to find out what we are using at work and see if they have a home version.

Thanks again for the assist folks. Back to TGO. Tech Geeks Online!:tough:

Backing up now would back up the bug I think.

It's a smart bug as it shuts down the services of Avast. Avast is present and starts but then states it's inconsistent or the service is not available. I go to the services file and find three Avast services, one for the program, one for the mail scanner and one for something else. All are disabled. I cannot access them in anyway to set them to start. Wow.

I'll try a few of the other links but I'm pretty much set to back up my tax info, some pictures and then reinstall the factory (Dell) original files.

If I'm not back in a week, some of you come by and see if I'm alive, it may have spread to me by then! LOL

Glad you have it stable. Backing up picture files and documents are usually safe unless you acquired the bug from a picture file or document. Some jpegs can carry a virus as well as mpegs and most music files. Virus is an executable file and has to be activated usually by shutting down and testarting hour machine before it spreads. I usually keep all valuables backed up (pics and stuff like that) and reinstall windows every few months to be on the safe side.

• Administrator
I have used a feebie (&upgradable) download that works great.

SUPERAntiSpyware.com | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!

It searches really deep and finds bugs and files that other AV's couldn't.

My regular anti-virus is Bit Defender, and it is the best I have found.

Hope this helps

I'm constantly amazed at just how good this software is and yet how cheesy the name is. We've used it a few times at work to get rid of things the other AV products couldn't.

• Administrator
May get the license for that as well as it's on special or something for 9.95 for the year. It done good!!

The anti-virus program I'll be buying is the big question.

I'd recommend ESET NOD32. You can see the software at ESET - Antivirus Software with Spyware and Malware Protection

The best pricing I've found on it was at NOD32, ESET NOD32, NOD32 Antivirus, NOD32 USA, ESET Antivirus

consider ubuntu, a free operating system based on debian linux. i'm a linux evangelist of sorts, so i'll admit my bias. :)

i've been using ubuntu for years, on my work computer, multiple home computers...even got my mom and mother-in-law using it. free, immune from viruses, much faster, incredibly stable, 30k free apps. it's not perfect, but it's the best os i've used (and i've used windows for decades, mac osx for 2 years, and linux for 4).

Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu