building permit or not?

Guest GunTroll

Guest GunTroll

I would like to build a shed in my yard for various things. I haven't figured out the dimensions exactly but was thinking of 12x12. I see that shed/buildings are popular here and are sold on almost every corner out here in my Co. Do you need a permit for those? Would I need a permit for to build mine? When does it cross the line of needing a permit....IE concrete slab, electricity, etc? I'm not in a sub div or city limits. I'm zoned ag.

Any help would be good. Dealing with my planning and zoning in my Co is horrible and I hate to even call to inquire. Idiots run amok in that office!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 6.8 AR

I wouldn't contact them. Out in the county I wouldn't consider getting a permit unless it was for living in. If they want to tax you,

let them seek you out. If they smell taxes, you can take that to the bank they'll come around eventually, but not for a shed. GTG

In Davidson County, yes, you do have to have a permit ...... if they see you putting it up.;) don't know about Robertson. I give them a call just to be safe. some of those guys can be real jerks if they catch you and they are bored.

In the permitting world, it's almost to the point that it is better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.............:dirty:. If your out in the country country, I would make a covert project out of it and quietly put it up and see what happens. Calling and asking for permission almost seems like swinging a stick at a hornets nest.

Oh and ;):P:D!!!!!

Guest BEARMAN
In the permitting world, it's almost to the point that it is better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.............:P. If your out in the country country, I would make a covert project out of it and quietly put it up and see what happens. Calling and asking for permission almost seems like swinging a stick at a hornets nest.

+1 ^^^^^^

Not to advocate any illegal activities, mind you, but IIRC there is such a permit that exist called an "after the fact" permit.

I believe if they do catch you in the act of building this structure, you can plead the "ignorance clause" and just go to the court house and pay the piper, for your unintentional misgivings and they will go ahead and issue you the said permit, as being "after the fact" so you don't have to tear down the newly built structure.

You know...the newly built structure they will surely be upping your taxes on for a "home improvement" next year! ;)

Let's hear from some of you building/construction contractors out there, on this touchy subject.

Guest 1817ak47

in school someone said that there tree house had a order to stop building on it cause it didn't have a permit. then they asked do they need a permit for a doghouse they said "yes", then asked do you need a permit for a birdhouse and they said "no" and they then said it was for a bid bird. this was in anderson county. I don't know if that was in oak ridge city limits though.

Im just an electrician but I still believe its better to ask forgiveness than permisssion especially in this case.

I never call for a permit, electrical or building unless I need the city/county/electric co. to do something for me like pull the power, etc.

Im just an electrician but I still believe its better to ask forgiveness than permisssion especially in this case.

I never call for a permit, electrical or building unless I need the city/county/electric co. to do something for me like pull the power, etc.

The only major issue that could arise is if and when you go to sell the property the mortgage companies or insurance companies balk because of lack of permits.

Guest db99wj

Not an answer for you, but I knew someone whos water heater went out and they called the big box hardware stores, they quoted him a price that included the water heater, labor and a permit. He said thanks and he and his fil went, bought the water heater, replaced it, dumped the old one at the curb and he had hot water in a few hours. I think he said the permit was $30 or something like that.

Here's what I was told by a company that sells and delivers preconstructed sheds (I know, it may be a biased opinion). If it is not a permanent structure it doesn't need a permit. A shed brought in and set on blocks with no power would not be a permanent structure. It could be picked up and moved. If anchored on a slab or foundation, attached to a permanent structure, or had power run to it, it would need a permit. If it was built in place and not built so it could be picked up and moved, it sounds like a permanent structure. The rules probably vary from county to county.

I am not an expert but I have recently stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. I've been in a Hampton Inn the last few nights so I may be way off base. :up:

I live out in the county( lincoln) and when i bought my shed( 12x16) i didn't need any permits. I don't see the need to ask permission to build a shed on your own property ( after all you bought it, and supposedly own it) and still have to pay taxes on it.

If it is out in the county and used for storage under a certian limit, i don't think you need a permit. But you might check your county website for better information on this. If not that, ask non-chalantly one of your county Beuracrats about the permit issue.

Guest GunTroll

I've got nowhere looking on the counties website. The foundation is what I first thought when thinking of "to permit" or not worry about it. "Portable" is is then.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I am a first time home/land owner and this stuff is just new to me.Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...