gun comparison

Guest thejlb

Guest thejlb

Trying to narrow down some options here. Its so difficult to do when you just can't hold or shoot the gun in person. I'm sure someone on here has shot these guns or might even own a couple.(maybe they don't even want them anymore;))

Beretta px4

Walther p99

springfield XD

SW MP

Between me and my dad we have beretta 92fs. Love everything about it. Also a Springfield mil-spec 1911 a compact SW .45 and a glock 17.

Now this gun is not for self defense or regular carry. Just looking for another gun that I will enjoy. Let me just say I don't like glocks. Love the 1911 just looking for something a bit smaller in size. I'd really love to see some pics of someone holding these guns. I hate it when you have to hold two fingers off the gun, because the grip is so short. So any info on that would be great. I'm 6ft 1 in and my hands are pretty big.

Maybe you even know of another gun I haven't listed that would be comparable. thanks for all the help.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 10mm4me

If those are the choices I would go w/the XD. Walther is too much $$$ for what you get and I just don't trust the M&P yet. I would like to try the PX4 though I have read good things about those.

Guest JHatmaker

I had a PX4 sub-compact and it was one of the most comfortable handguns I've ever held. The full (or standard) size model is just as comfortable.

My suggestion, like mentioned above, is to go to a local shop and hold each one in your hand vs looking at a picture of one in someone else's hand.

Good luck w/ the search. You can't really go wrong with any of the guns you mentioned. I'd also recommend throwing an FN FNP in the mix.

Guest thejlb

Still haven't had a chance to make it guns and leather yet. Maybe I'll do that tommorrow. I went to the armory today actually. The only gun they had was the xd. It did fit great but reminded alot of the glock. which I am not a big fan of. Maybe its just me however. I hear it shoots better then a glock. Which would impress me if it is true.

Guest JHatmaker
I hear it (the XD) shoots better then a glock. Which would impress me if it is true.

Ehhh, I prefer the way a Glock shoots over an XD, others don't. To each his own, so what feels good to one person doesn't necessarily feel good to someone else.

It's all about what feels the most comfortable to you.

Beretta Px4

You did not mention caliber. I have shot both the 9mm and .40 a fair amount. An acquaintance loves his. Both are reported to be one of the softest recoiling handguns in their calibers due to the rotating barrel. Many find the .40's recoil to be not much more than the 9mm. I disagree: I think the 40 kicks sharply but softer than a Glock and I get the trigger finger sting that some people complain about. I believe this may be a personal issue as several others have shot the very same gun and do not experience it. A handful of police dept. have selected this gun. I find it to be a comfortable gun to hold and disassembly is easy. I have never witnessed any malfunctions with either gun. Your selection of holsters is limited but since you are not buying this for carry that should not be an issue. The sites glow in the dark after brief exposure to light; they are not true night sites. BerettaUSA.com frequently has the magazines on sale for about $20. Academy usually has the Px4 in stock for $519 before tax and background check.

There is another post going about the Px4 and Beretta's lack of customer service.

Edited by Patrick Henry
Guest mikedwood

I love Glocks :D but it sounds to me like you need to check out the XD (M) or XD Match as some call it. It's an XD with some parts upgraded for match use. From what I gather anyway.

Guest thejlb

Hey guys thanks for feedback so far. Like I said holding one will become a problem if I can't find them in a store. I have got to look at the armory so far. which only had an xd.

I'd probably go with a 9 if given a choice in the px4. Thanks for the great info on the beretta as well. I've come to expect only greatness from beretta.

Maybe I can make it to Hero Gear as well. They probably have all of them in stock.

Guns & Leather usually has a large selection, good prices, knowledgeable sales people, and rentals available to use on their range!!!

Franklin Gun Shop has a good selection but they are expensive. I hear various reports about their willingness to negotiate.

Save some gas $$$ and time: call the shops first to see what they have in-stock.

Guest thejlb

Came with a free month of shooting on their range. I'll have to make good use of it. Should I use any special ammo. Or would regular winchester practice rounds be good enough?

So whats the deal with the trigger. I've read and been told it has a real short pull. Too short for your liking? Didn't really think about that being an issue I'll have to see for myself when I shoot it tommorrow.

Guest BigShot

Anxious for a range report... ;)

Not just the pistol feel but ammo choice, sight comfort, accuracy and what you think of the "On Target" range. I been thinking of trying it out.

Oh yeah, check to see if they have club competitions if you think of it, Thanks!

BigShot

Guest thejlb

Have never shot at on target before. So I will post everything about the range, will ask about competitions as well.

Yeah they had all the different versions of the xdm. Had to go with the black and green. The black and silver was real mean looking but always liked the one I got.

Guest thejlb
Anxious for a range report... :up:

Not just the pistol feel but ammo choice, sight comfort, accuracy and what you think of the "On Target" range. I been thinking of trying it out.

Oh yeah, check to see if they have club competitions if you think of it, Thanks!

BigShot

Let me just say I've probably only shot a 1000 rounds in my entire life. So I 'd consider myself a novice still.

Pistol felt great to me. I shot about 10 rounds at 25 yds it was pretty close to where I was trying to shoot it. Shot the rest at about 7-15yds. Cake walk man. It will soon become my favorite shooter behind my 1911.

My biggest problem was the targets themselves. I didn't have my contacts in, but Was a little hard to aim at the same spot over and over so my grouping was that great. I'd get 2 real close and one that wondered a bit. I shot at a standard black silhouette which made it a little harder on me as I have never shot at a silhouette before.

The On Target range was pretty good. 2 of the lanes didn't work properly. One had only one clip to hang a target. The second one seemed like the motor had seized up on it. Even though I got a month free to shoot there. I brought my dad along we only shot the xdm but still had to pay 10 bucks for him to use the same lane as me. Targets were a 1.50 They had lights in each lane though which were pretty nice. It was a kinda dim atmosphere. That was fine with me, if it was a real life situation no telling what teh lighting would be . I ran through 100 winchester practice rounds. bought another 50 from them which were atlanta arma ammo 15 bucks for 50. Personally I liked the winchesters better. They were a heck of lot cheaper.

No competitions. they said they used to do that but not any more.

All in all pretty good. I'd like to try out the guns and leather range. only one I haven't tried that I know of.

What I'd really like to do is find some people to go shooting with. Its usually just me and my dad. My dad was tought how to shoot by the U.S. Government. M-16 only though. So an expert shooter to watch and give me some fair constructive criticism would be nice.

Definitely not too short, it's too long for my liking. The reset after the trigger is pulled is what I really don't like. I'm contemplating a Springer Precision trigger kit for it. I've pretty well decided to get the kit, not sure if I want to install it myself or not.