new shooter, safety features and compensation.

Guest JLaugh

JLaugh, you see a pattern here ? I'm not beating up on you.....you said you were new to guns, and (IMO) you have been exposed to some misinformation and/or some of the "gun myths" that get perpetuated.

I don't know where Afton, TN is, but I'd strongly recommend you find a quality instructor in your area and get some good training before any bad advice or bad habits become ingrained.

can you cite an instance where a gun has gone bang without the trigger being pulled? I am not doubting you, maybe you have first hand experience but I have never seen it.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

assuming it is loaded could cause a problem if you need it to be ready to fire and it is not. just sayin....

Perhaps I should clarify. MY gun, in MY possession, IS always ready. Otherwise, it's being cleaned. In GENERAL, every gun should be considered loaded.

assuming it is loaded could cause a problem if you need it to be ready to fire and it is not. just sayin....

I like these two features on the XD, at a touch I know i am chambered and cocked.

That was exactly the point I was trying to make. I keep an xd9 in a wall safe, I might not get into it for a few weeks at a time, I might not remember if one was in the chamber or not, I know by looking and feeling it though.

can you cite an instance where a gun has gone bang without the trigger being pulled? I am not doubting you, maybe you have first hand experience but I have never seen it.

Mike, was this directed at me or JLaugh ?

If it was inbound to me, I think you missed the gist of my posts and my + 1 's.

ETA.....I clarified my other post in case I wasn't clear.

I sure wish everybody would quit trying to persuade people to buy a 40S&W on the school of thought that you can just swap parts around and make it a 357 Sig or a 9mm. The only one I've seen advertised by the manufacturer to do that with is the Sig. If you're a fan of one cailber or the other, that's fine, but I think alot of you are misleading these "newbies" by telling them that it's OK or recommended by the factory to do that. Yes, there are conversion kits to swap calibers in a Glock, but I don't know if anybody is gonna take on the liability if it messes up your gun. I'm almost positive Glock won't take it back. I doubt the conversion manufacturer will buy you another gun either. I'll totally retract my statements if someone has written proof otherwise, but until then, that's my honest opinion. The following excerpt is from a previous thread where PHIL ARRINGTON DISCUSSED THE ISSUE concerning the conversions. I also copied his signature line to show who made the statement.

Now for a little FYI on barrel conversions going from 40 down to 9mm. Simply put it will eventually mess up your gun. Its not just swapping out the barrel and mag. The breach face is different and so is the ejector, guide rod spring, and extractor. Doing this will also void your Glock warranty. Thus the reason Glock wont sell you a 9mm barrel if they know thats what your going to do. Glock only recommends the conversion too and from 40-357sig. Now all that being said, I know customers that went ahead and did the 9mm swap, and the gun ran for a while... but then parts started breaking.

I'd leave it alone and get professional lessons. Its just like getting your first high performance car of 4x4 truck, your going to need some help getting the most out of it.

Anyway just an FYI... :rolleyes:

image.php?u=1367&type=sigpic&dateline=1229748608

Phillip Arrington

Goodlettsville Gun Shop

602 S. Main St

Goodlettsville Tn 37072

615-859-8822

ggunshop@bellsouth.net

www.goodlettsvillegunshop.com

Phil's thought for the day: If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Edited by Shima

I agree, this conversion stuff is best left to Sigs.

Being new to guns, go to a class first. Any decent range is going to supply the gun if you don't have one. They will probably let you try a few out. Don't be in a hurry to buy. I wished I'd done a lot more homework before I got into this. Can't emphasize the class thing enough, and the HCP class doesn't count in my book.

Patience Grasshopper...

I sure wish everybody would quit trying to persuade people to buy a 40S&W on the school of thought that you can just swap parts around and make it a 357 Sig or a 9mm. The only one I've seen advertised by the manufacturer to do that with is the Sig. If you're a fan of one cailber or the other, that's fine, but I think alot of you are misleading these "newbies" by telling them that it's OK or recommended by the factory to do that. Yes, there are conversion kits to swap calibers in a Glock, but I don't know if anybody is gonna take on the liability if it messes up your gun. I'm almost positive Glock won't take it back. I doubt the conversion manufacturer will buy you another gun either. I'll totally retract my statements if someone has written proof otherwise, but until then, that's my honest opinion. The following excerpt is from a previous thread concerning the conversions:

Now for a little FYI on barrel conversions going from 40 down to 9mm. Simply put it will eventually mess up your gun. Its not just swapping out the barrel and mag. The breach face is different and so is the ejector, guide rod spring, and extractor. Doing this will also void your Glock warranty. Thus the reason Glock wont sell you a 9mm barrel if they know thats what your going to do. Glock only recommends the conversion too and from 40-357sig. Now all that being said, I know customers that went ahead and did the 9mm swap, and the gun ran for a while... but then parts started breaking.

I'd leave it alone and get professional lessons. Its just like getting your first high performance car of 4x4 truck, your going to need some help getting the most out of it.

Anyway just an FYI... :D

image.php?u=1367&type=sigpic&dateline=1229748608

Phillip Arrington

Goodlettsville Gun Shop

602 S. Main St

Goodlettsville Tn 37072

615-859-8822

ggunshop@bellsouth.net

www.goodlettsvillegunshop.com

Phil's thought for the day: If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

i'm confused... did glockmiester change his name or did you copy and paste something, including his sig?

Guest gw2and4

I'm new to TGO, so apologies if this is a repeat question. That said: what parts start breaking, and why? Also curious if using a same-caliber replacement barrel like a Storm Lake .40 barrel in a 23 would also be a concern (or not, since it's the same caliber as the OEM Glock barrel). I ask since I reload and want to be able to shoot lead and reloads out of a Glock--which most say is a bad idea through the OEM barrel.

Hoping to soon be able to answer some of these questions myself, since I just registered for a Glock Armorer course...

Thanks in advance for the wisdom.

/gw

Jeremy, go back and read my post especially the part that says "the following is an excerpt from a previous thread: " Yes, I took it from one of Phil's posts and included his sig line so anyone that wants to argue with me on the basis that I'm not a professional can take a professional's word for it.

As for the caliber conversion, I'd suggest you buy two guns if you want two calibers. I also agree with most everybody else in that the only reliable safety is between your ears. I'd suggest you go to range and rent several possible pistols and try them. You also might find someone on this forum in your area who'd let you fire some of theirs. Once you decide on one, Learn how it works. That alone will make you rethink the importance of a safety. I carry a revolver. It has no safety, and has never presented a problem.

Jeremy, go back and read my post especially the part that says "the following is an excerpt from a previous thread: " Yes, I took it from one of Phil's posts and included his sig line so anyone that wants to argue with me on the basis that I'm not a professional can take a professional's word for it.

WORD:tough: I especially like the edited version of the original! I figured as much but it just looked odd at first glance.

I have a 52 CZ that will occasionally fire when the decocker lever is depressed, and have a dent in my gunsafe to prove it.

;)

My son's IWI Baby Eagle has a decocking lever and I've always been a little uneasy when I've used it. Another reason to always have it pointed in a safe direction.

I have a 52 CZ that will occasionally fire when the decocker lever is depressed, and have a dent in my gunsafe to prove it.

a) your CZ isn't in proper working condition and needs the attention of a gunsmith. It's DANGEROUS!

;) always point the muzzle of your weapon in a safe direction when decocking. Most guns won't fire when decocking, but a defective one will, as will one when the proper procedure isn't used (where's your trigger finger?) SAA Colts and exact replicas, as well as NAA mini-revolvers will fire if your hand slips off the hammer while lowering the hammer over a live round. Point it in a safe direction and use your head.

Decocking is dangerous. Lowering the hammer over a live round is dangerous. Chambering ammo in a semi-auto pistol, most rifles and most shotguns is dangerous. Maintain muzzle control at all times.

I'm glad someone admitted that some things are dangerous, greater risk. It is foolish to tell someone "just keep your finger off the trigger and everything will be OK". The CZ52 is a great example and there are others if we just think about it. It is a mechanical devise and things wear, break, etc........and sometimes it occurs without warning. Maintain muzzle control at all times +1

I don't think you'll really need the compensation, especially on a 9mm. ...

I have a G19 (9mm) and have never felt the need to do anything to it but add night sights.

I agree on both of these issues. The 19 was my first handgun and I don't think you can go wrong with it. Glocks are simple to operate and extremely easy to maintain. Besides, it's such a popular gun that I'm always seeing used ones advertised for near new pricing so you should be able to get near your money back if you later find something you like better.

As for caliber conversion, I've heard Glock doesn't recommend it so I'd say just get a 9mm if you're worried about ammo availablilty. 9mm is still the worldwide military standard and I'm sure you'll end up buying a few more pistols if you're really worried about having a gun in any scenario, :) .

Guest FiddleDog

I carry a G26, and must admit, the lack of a manual safety does tend to set on my nerves. You don't have to worry about the gun going off while in it's holster. If you plan on carrying IWB or SOB, the thought of getting something accidentally caught in the trigger guard (like a jacket drawstring or what-not) while reholstering is probably the bigger concern. Have you considered the SR9C? It looks to be a great carry option, and the sweepdown 1911 styled safety should allay your safety concerns. Yes, the best safety is in between your ears...but part of that safety is knowing your own limitations and insecurities. I for one have serious insecurities on carrying chambered, so I have to take that into consideration.