Do shooters lie as bad as fishermen?

Will Carry

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sgt. Joe
People don't lie on the internet...surely you jest.

I think you are right, if someone puts on the internet that they shoot 1" groups at 50 yards for the whole world to see....it must be true....:P

Seriously I have seen some excellent shooters at my little 25 yard range, good enoung to make me stop shooting and watch them, I am not sure if I stop and watch to try and learn or am just too embarassed to keep shooting myself. Most likely the latter. :D

I feel like if I can shoot 5-6-7" groups at 25 yards I am doing good enough to stay alive and that is my purpose of shooting anyway.

If I ever do get good enough I may try some competions. For now it is just practice for the encounter I hope I never have.

1 inch groups at 50 yards I find very hard to believe with a handgun, although I am sure there may be some who can do it, I doubt very many.

I was once asked by a creepy, greasy shooter at a local indoor range if he could shoot my POS Kel-Tec .40 with a paper plate as the target. I gave him 6 rounds since he didn't have any. Just like the scene in "Lethal Weapon", he sent it all the way down the range (maximum yardage for the average range), and placed 5 out of 6 onto the plate.

I don't care if you can do 1" groups if you can place 5 on target at 25 yds. (?) with a Kel-Tec.

WOW !!!!!

Edited by Kano
Guest jackdm3

I was once asked by a creepy, greasy shooter at a local indoor range if he could shoot my POS Kel-Tec .40 with a paper plate as the target. I gave him 6 rounds since he didn't have any. Just like the scene in "Lethal Weapon", he sent it all the way down the range (maximum yardage for the average range), and placed 5 out of 6 onto the plate.

I don't care if you can do 1" groups if you can place 5 on target at 25 yds. (?) with a Kel-Tec.

I have never been able to shoot groups of that type with a auto, 1911 or other at 25 yards. That said, I have had revolvers that could group really well. I have had 3 screw Super Blackhawks that could put up 1" 25 yard 5 shot groups. Now I said the gun could do it, not me. I had to be on sand bags and my eyes were a lot better in the 80's. BTW, that was with hand cast (and weighed) 250 grain Keith SWC's over 21 grains of 2400 with standard primers. Just in case someone wanted to know the load. A good friend of mine still has one of the revolvers. I may have to try that again just to see if I can still do it.

1 inch groups at 50 yards I find very hard to believe with a handgun, although I am sure there may be some who can do it, I doubt very many.

It is almost impossible...The closest you will ever see is a bullseye competition. These guys are fantastic shots.

Guest cheez

I think many shooters will tend to stretch the truth a bit from time to time. That said though I really don't think shooters can hold a candle to most fishermen in the lie department. I have first hand knowledge of this because I am both a fisherman and a shooter.:lol:

Guest cheez
One of my mods has actually put up the money for someone to prove 1" centerfire pistol at 25 yards for almost a year now with no takers. Got sick of reading people claim their "x" gun was shooting 1" groups all day long.

###########

CLICK HERE

###########

We have a small syndicate of 5 or so stations all over the US (Chattanooga being one) to qualify.

So far....nobody...has done it

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but isn't a 1 inch group measured from center to center of the widest holes apart?

Guest SUNTZU
Those pants don't look fat on you at all, babe. It's all those magazines you've been reading lately, they're making you insecure.

No! I think your family is great. We should spend Christmas with them.

What a beautiful baby!

I have a kidney infection, but just to be safe you should take the antibiotics too. Just in case it's contagious...

I'm not saying [some awful statement], I'm just saying [insert what I really mean, but pretend it's speculation], you know?

No, I don't mind at all.

KC Masterpiece? That's a great barbecue sauce. Don't apologize to me, dude. Grill those ribs!

Oh yeah, Rep. Massa, I get into tickle-fights with all my grown male buds. We generally accept some collateral hangdown-groping as a byproduct of the fun; you want to avoid it, I want to avoid it, Hell! we all try to avoid it, but when it's tickle time, things get touched. I totally understand. Accidents happen.

Everybody I know is a liar. Or I'm lying right now.:lol:

This post is so full of win from the avatar to the sig line. ;) Ftagn.

Guest 73challenger

I think they do. I have met ALOT of "ex special forces" but never have met anyone that said they were a cook in the Army.... I'm not that great of a shot. With my AR I was shooting 6-7 in groups at 100ish yards. I think I need to go to a appleseed. :-) With my 22/45 I can shoot pretty good I guess but if I pick up a larger caliber I've developed a AWFUL flinch. It has to be in my head.

Heck, I'd be happy to do a one-inch group at fifteen yards. The only handgun I have tried at 100 yards is my Heritage with the .22WMR cylinder in place. I did that more as a lark than anything and was surprised when I was able to at least put shots on paper - and some were even on the target. Of course, it took probably 18 shots (and some luck) to get a handful on target - and my 'group' was more like one foot than one inch (and looked more like a pattern than a group.) Sad thing is that I was (an am) pretty happy about my results!

Target3-22Mag100yards.jpg

Edited by JAB

I'm happy with the groups I get when I practice... I just don't really care for standing still and shooting a single target slow-fire, it get's boring.

This is a target I ust found in my truck from last year... 50rd at 15yd with an XD-9, at a brisk clip.

attachment.php?attachmentid=229&d=1268320012

1" group at 50yd...? I would be surprised if many factory pistols or factory pistol ammo could mechanically accomplish that, much less with a human in the equation. I don't doubt that it could be done... but I do doubt that it could be done repeatably.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but isn't a 1 inch group measured from center to center of the widest holes apart?

Actually I think that the measure is the "outside to outside" length of the group minus the diameter of one of the bullets.

It gets you the same answer as your method, but is easier to do with less chance for error

I think there's a big difference between the pistol being able to shoot a 1" group at 25 yards and the shooter being able to do it. Ed Brown states that there pistols shoot 1.5" at 25 yards, but they certainly don't claim that they test them from anything other than a vise.

As far as I'm concerned, I know I suck with a pistol. Always have and probably always will: however, I "justify" my $2,500 pistol with knowing that it's a quality piece, and if I miss I am certain that it was me; not the weapon.

didnt you guys know, everyone that owns more then one guns thinks they are a freaking "Sniper"... lol :cool:

Seriously, wehear so much BS in our store its not even funny... then they decide to take a permit class, and well we find out how good of a shot they really are.

Guest 73challenger
didnt you guys know, everyone that owns more then one guns thinks they are a freaking "Sniper"... lol :rolleyes:

Seriously, wehear so much BS in our store its not even funny... then they decide to take a permit class, and well we find out how good of a shot they really are.

I heard a guy today at a gun store say he shot a quarter at 400 yards but was looking for a rifle to shoot further with....

Guest Eagle One

I can keep 12 rounds in a 4 inch pattern even when I am working at 25 yards, but then I pull the trigger and they leave the magazine and go where ever they want.

Guest pwhphd

There is a simple test to tell if shooters and fishermen are lying about their feats. If their mouth is moving - they're probably lying!

I heard a guy today at a gun store say he shot a quarter at 400 yards but was looking for a rifle to shoot further with....

I would believe that is possible, with an accurate rifle and a proper scope... but it probably took several tries (unless he got lucky).