glock 23 magazine

Guest joey615

Guest joey615

im probaly sure some of you all know im a rookie at guns. but i have yet another simple question. can a bullet discharge by accident when loading the magazine? the reason i asked is because for some reason when i get too loading the 11th 12th bullet its so hard and the 13th one is extra hard so i just put 12 in the magazine because im scared im putting too much pressure on the bullet and i think its gonna explode. has anyone heard of any cases where the bullet discharges by loading the magazine?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker

No, it can't happen. For the bullet to actually discharge from the casing with substantial enough force to cause harm, the casing would have to be supported with enough external pressure, to allow the internal pressure of the charge to 'fire' the bullet. It would also require a substantial enough strike on the primer to set off the above process altogether.

In other words, with your bare hands, there is nearly nothing that you could do to set off a bullet. Even if you were trying really, really, really, really hard!

When I was a young, and stupid kid, I thought it would be a good idea to make my own bullet keychain. So, me and a buddy put a .30-06 bullet in a vise, turned it down firm, and struck the primer with a ice pick and hammer. My thought was that I'd knock the primer out, and put my key ring through that hole.

Instead what I got was a loud pop, a bullet that went through my basement window, and a mangled and bloody right pinky finger from a casing neck that went all to pieces as the bullet left in my improvised 'supported chamber'. I wear that scar today, and I'm thankful that it didn't kill me.

There's a reason that barrel chambers are made out of quality steel, and another good reason why curious 9 year-old boys should not play with live ammo unsupervised!

Guest Bronker
so even if i put alot pressure by forcing the next bullet in it wont dischage?

Nope.

I'm certainly no professional gunsmith, and not a ballistics magician, but I do know the physics of Action vs. Equal / Opposite Reaction.

I know how you feel though, dude. We've all been there. So don't hesitate to ask questions. It's how we learn. There are many, many more qualified individuals on this site that will chime in with more reputable and possibly contradictory information, but this is how I understand it. I've loaded perhaps 50,000+ live rounds in my shooting life-time thus far, and it has yet to occur to me. But, that does not necessarily make me an expert.

Guest bkelm18

You'd have to hit the primer with significant force for it to discharge. Simply applying pressure to the case with your bare hands simply will not and cannot cause the round to go off. And yes, get an UPLula, you'll thank us.

Modern cartridges have been shipped loose across some of the roughest roads imaginable, and seen some of the worst package-handling. I have never heard of any cartridge ever going off except by a very sharp, hard blow on the primer or by the application of extreme heat. Force applied to the case has no effect except to mangle the case and eventually spill the powder.

Put all the pressure you like on the case. You will NOT set it off.

Guest cheez

The round is not going to go off. When I got my G23 I got 8 mags with it. I loaded all 8 with 13 rounds and put them in my safe. Left them there loaded for about 6 months. Now it is much easier to load my mags with the 13 rounds. I also loaded several G27 mags the same way. I found 2 of them that were loaded with 9 rounds in my range bag that I forgot I had. Probably were in the bottom of the range bag for over 2 years. I slipped them in the G27 and fired all 18 rounds without a hitch. Glock mags are like their guns. They can take more punishment than prolly anything out there and still function perfectly.

Edited by cheez

Powder only ignites with fire/spark. Hitting the primer does not even necessarily set off the powder. Striking the primer ignites the primer which ignites the powder. All that to say no amount of pressure, no matter how intense, is going to set off a round. Only a fire/spark will ignite powder. Think about it, they grind powder to begin with.

Guest Glock23ForMe

Just bought a Glock 23 RTF from the local gun shop and, for me, to get the 13th round in, after the 12th, I pop the cartridge in my hand like packing a pack of cigs about two or three times and the last one will go in just fine.

Guest wengle01

yeah i just got a glock 23 and had the same problem, but if you push the slide back hard enough it will go in just fine, just got to put a little pressure on the slide.