Ruger SP101(.357) vs. Charter Arms Bulldog (44spl)

Guest RGL01

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Straight Shooter

I bought my 3" Sp101 a couple months ago..and I absolutely love the thing. I bought it to be my primary concealment piece, and it does it very well. Ive put on some NICE Hogue laminated rosewood grips, and am about to install a red Hi-Viz type front sight from Gemini Customs. This is a well made gun, outta stand up to A LOT of use. After firing around 200 or so rounds, and a lot of dry firing, the trigger is very nice. The gun is VERY easy to field strip for a thourogh cleaning. About the only drawback to owning the 3" model, is an almost complete lack of holsters. I mean, Ive searched hi and low, and finally got a gorgeous belt slide leather holster from Don Hume. Ive carried this a lot lately, and its just awesome. Also-for some reason unknown to me, its like a huge secret what gear fits the SP101, like holsters and speedloaders. FYI- Ive got two Safariland Comp1 speedloaders, and although NOT advertised as for the Ruger, they work GREAT! These are far superior to the HK style loaders, imo.

Im bobbing the hammer soon, and Ill have the perfect carry gun. Ive shot Charters, and I wouldnt trade my Ruger for 3 Charters. They are not bad guns, but the Ruger is superior. You may want to look at the 2", but at least try the 3", I think youll like it.

I have carried the SP 101 for many years,they are well made revolvers and should last a life time.As for holsters, I use a crossbreed supertuck for IWB and a Bianchi leather holster for OWB carry.

I also have owned Charter revolvers and to me the Ruger is much better quality.

I had a Ruger SP101 .357 and it was a great revolver. You can't go wrong with it. You just have to have a good holster because it is a tank. It is tough as nails. A Hogue grip makes it much more comfortable to shoot, but it's a great gun.

I bought my 3" Sp101 a couple months ago..and I absolutely love the thing. I bought it to be my primary concealment piece, and it does it very well. Ive put on some NICE Hogue laminated rosewood grips, and am about to install a red Hi-Viz type front sight from Gemini Customs. This is a well made gun, outta stand up to A LOT of use. After firing around 200 or so rounds, and a lot of dry firing, the trigger is very nice. The gun is VERY easy to field strip for a thourogh cleaning. About the only drawback to owning the 3" model, is an almost complete lack of holsters. I mean, Ive searched hi and low, and finally got a gorgeous belt slide leather holster from Don Hume. Ive carried this a lot lately, and its just awesome. Also-for some reason unknown to me, its like a huge secret what gear fits the SP101, like holsters and speedloaders. FYI- Ive got two Safariland Comp1 speedloaders, and although NOT advertised as for the Ruger, they work GREAT! These are far superior to the HK style loaders, imo.

Im bobbing the hammer soon, and Ill have the perfect carry gun. Ive shot Charters, and I wouldnt trade my Ruger for 3 Charters. They are not bad guns, but the Ruger is superior. You may want to look at the 2", but at least try the 3", I think youll like it.

Take a look at Simply Rugged Holsters (http://www.simplyrugged.com/store/index.html). I bought one of their Silver Dollar Pancake holsters for my 2-1/4" SP101 and it is well made and comfortable, plus they are only $45. I have one of the Don Hume IWB's for it, but I like the SR holster much better and it conceals just as well.

Edited by DaddyO
Guest RGL01

Thanks guys. Was leaning towards the Ruger but like the idea of a 44spl. Still, sounds like the SP101 will get a first look.:)

Edited by RGL01
... About the only drawback to owning the 3" model, is an almost complete lack of holsters....

Methinks you didn't conduct very comprehensive research....see others' responses...there are MANY options for a 3" SP101.

My man David Bullard makes a nice IWB, here's mine in 2 1/4, but he also has same for your 3 1/16" barrrel:

ruger-bullard-sm.jpg

- OS

Guest cheez

Ain't no more rugged revolver than the SP 101. The 3 inch is great but the 2-1/4 is the most concealable. Charters are fine but I never liked the rough triggers on them. JMHO

Guest Straight Shooter

OhShoot-

I didnt say there werent NONE, I said said there was an ALMOST complete lack of holsters for the 3" model. Yes, I looked for hours, actually. And more people make them for the 2" than the three. Check out all the major players, and youll see what Im talking about. Ill bet it would take you awhile to find 3 more besides whats listed here and my Don Hume.

Oh, BTW DaddyO- thanks for the info in Simply Rugged. Didnt see nothing I liked, tho.

Durability and reliability go to Ruger SP series. I work on revolvers ever now and then for friends. I've had most of the current brands apart and some not so current. In fact I am waiting for some parts for a Charter Police Undercover. There is no comparison in reliability and durability - the Ruger wins hands down. I traded for this Charter just to see how it does, and have shot other Charters, esp. the .44Spl. I would not pay cash for a Charter and after this last one I will steer clear of any others.

OhShoot-

I didnt say there werent NONE, I said said there was an ALMOST complete lack of holsters for the 3" model. Yes, I looked for hours, actually. And more people make them for the 2" than the three. Check out all the major players, and youll see what Im talking about. Ill bet it would take you awhile to find 3 more besides whats listed here and my Don Hume.

Easy, listed in thread: Crossbreed, Hume, Bullard, Bianchi

Ross Leather

Comp-Tac

TT Gunleather

Dale Fricke

Galco

Just a few of the beau coup.

You can also just go through a couple of the many combined holster makers lists like:

5 shot Leather

A Holster Company

A.E. Nelson

AJ Concealco

Aker Leather

Alabama Holster

Alfonso’s Gunleather

Andrews Leather

Art Of the Hide

Azrael’s Custom Leather

B&D Concealment Holsters

Bandera Gunleather

Barber Leatherworks

Bell Charter Oak Holsters

Black Hills Leather

Blackhawk

Blade Tech

Bluegrass Holsters

Brigade Gunleather

Brommeland Gunleather

Bullman Gun Leather

Buy Brown Holsters

C Rusty Sherrick Leather Works

Center of Mass Holsters

Cobra Gunskin

Comp-Tac

ConcealCity.com

CondorsFlight.com

Coronado Leather

CR Speed

Cross Breed Holsters

Dale Fricke Holsters

D.M. Bullard Leather

De Santis

Del Fatti

Don Hume

Donner Gunleather

Eagle Industries

Edge Custon, Inc.

El Paso Saddlery

Fin Designs

Fist

Fobus Holsters

Galco

Garrett Industries

Garrity's GunLeather

G-Code Holsters

Ghost Holster

gould and goodrich holsters

Gradfather Oak Custom Carry

Grahams Custom Leather

Grassburr Leather Works, Inc

Gunworks

Haugen Handgun Lather

HBE Leatherworks

High Noon

Hillsman Holster

Hoffners

Holster Heaven.com

Holsterama

Horseshoe Leather

Jagwear Concealment Holsters

JSHolsters

JW O'Rourk Leather Products

K&D Holsters

K.L Null Holsters

KHolsters

Kirkpatrick Leather

KISS Holsters

Kolbeson Leatherworks

Kramer Leather

Kytac

Leather Creek Holsters

Lightning Arms Sports

Little Bear Holsters

Little Feather Leather

Master of Concealment

Mernickle Holsters

Milt Sparks

Mitch Rosen

Nevada Gun leather

Nick Matthews Holsters

Nosser GunLeather

PagerPal

Pale Horse Leather

Pistol Packaging, Inc

PistolGear

PistolWear

Pocket Concealment Systems

Pocket Holsters

PureKustom Holsters

Pro Carry Holsters

PWL USA

Python Holsters

RGrizzle Holsters

R.O. Gunleather Holsters

Rafter S Gunleather

Raven Concealment Systems

Ray's Holsters

Rick Waltner Holsters

RKBA Holsters

RM Holsters

Ross Leather

Safariland

Security Pro USA

Sickinger

Side Armor

Side Guard Holsters

Simply Rugged Holsters

SmartCarry

Southern Holsters

Special Forces Gear

Stoner Holsters

Strong Holsters

Sunrise Leather

Survival Sheath Systems

TacPro

Tagua GunLeather

Talon Tactical (Kydex)

Tauris Holsters

Tennessee Holster Company

The Malabar Front

TSC Holsters

TT Gunleather

Tucker Gun Leather

UBG Holsters

Uncle Mikes

Vega holsters

Ward Leather

Wild Bills

edit: this list quite out of date, just one I had on puter.

Most all gun sites have a similar one somewhere, thought we had a sticky on TGO, but guess not.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Straight Shooter

Oh Shoot-

You are CLEARLY a superior human being. Your VAST knowledge of all things guns far surpasses all here.

I suppose youve searched EVERY one of the websites youve listed,and EACH of them make a holster for a 3" Ruger SP101. Ill tell you what.

Ill bet you a crisp, new $100 bill your wrong. FURTHER, Ill bet you the MAJORITY of the sites you listed DO NOT make a holster for this gun. So, next time..BEFORE you "double tap" ME, know what the hell your talking about.

You seem to have a need to show superiority. I have no problem with someone showing me where Ive erred, or was wrong. But you can take the "double tap" comment and shove it up your ass.

You seem to have a need to show superiority. I have no problem with someone showing me where Ive erred, or was wrong. But you can take the "double tap" comment and shove it up your ass.

Okay.

Thanks for the constructive criticism.

- OS

Guest JHatmaker

Ok, I think the general consensus is that the Ruger is preferred over the Charter Arms and if you look hard enough you CAN find a holster for it.