quad won't start

thanks for all the ideas guys, I can't wait for the weekend to try it again.

To be clear, I am jumping the quad off of a battery charger on the "start" setting.

The battery is DOA big time, been dead for a couple of years.

If a new battery may help I will swap in the one I just bought Saturday.

It had plenty of crank, just no start. I could not hardly believe it did not start.

Them things are fun and can be very useful, but they are a never ending road of maintainance and repair. And that does not count rolling them and the repairs that come from those tricks. LOL I actually enjoy fooling with the things, but I am not sure I am ready to rebuild the carb.

If I can get the thing to fire I will put some gumout in the tank and ride it for a while to get the fuel out of the tank.

Can I pull the plug, put it back in the plug wire and crank it to see if it sparks? ( does that make sense?)

Anyone know the gap for the plug. I think I have it at about .30. Aside from it being black the plug looked good, it is not burnt down or anything.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you left the petcock in the on position it is probably the float in the carb bowl is stuck or varnished. I use stabil in my equipment to winterize it. I also turn off the fuel and run the carb dry. I have not had a fuel problem in years. You can drop the bowl and clean it with carb and choke cleaner. Put it back on the shoot some cleaner in the carb while cranking. Be real careful with starting fluid. I have seen it ruin a four stroke engine.

Edited by R1100R
I always use Sta-Bil if I have something that's going to be sitting for more than a month.

If this is done it will stop a lot of problems. I'm a believer in Sta-Bil also. The 10% gas makes this more important as it separates and adsorbs moisture.

My lawn mower and weed eater won't start. Small engines were invented by the devil too.

What kind of weedeater? If I buy new I buy Stihl. But that could be a thread of its own.

squirting it with starting fluid will let you know it's firing.. Couple of stupid things to check tho..

Gas turned on? If so, turn it off then to reserve and try.

pull the breather assembley.. clamp and two bolts on top.. and tap on the float bowl of the carb, needle could be stuck closed if left with gas in the carb for long.

Another thing removing the breather will do.. it will allow you to hold your hand over the air horn while cranking it to actually choke the sucker into submission..

Just a few thoughts.. I have an old xplorer 300 that's a little tempermental after sitting all winter.

I actually had turned the gas to reserve when I was trying to start it, I never turn it to off. I am sure parts need to come off to get at the carb.

I am hopeful that starting fluid might coax it to life.

This is why you drain the gas when you winterize your equipment.

Drop the bowl on the Carb, you should be able to tell if the gas has lacquered the inside of the carb. I would recommend draining and replacing the gas that is in there now as it has likely turned. If you have the mechanical ability, pull the carb off and soak it in some Sea Foam or some other petroleum distillate engine cleaner. You will probably want to replace the gaskets as well for the carb when you reassemble it.

QUOTE]

I have never had any problems with fuel in the quads or the lawn tools.

The garage is built into the basement and temperature is fairly stable.

But I am wishing I had run the tank dry. I do avoid ethanol gas whenever possible.

I think pulling the carb off is getting me in over my head, but actually seeing it with my own eyes would help, LOL. I have done some repairs that were fairly difficult so maybe I can pull this off. I take lots of pictures as I disassemble. I will replace the old gas as a first step.

If you left the petcock in the on position it is probably the float in the carb bowl is stuck or varnished. I use stabil in my equipment to winterize it. I also turn off the fuel and run the carb dry. I have not had a fuel problem in years. You can drop the bowl and clean it with carb and choke cleaner. Put it back on the shoot some cleaner in the carb while cranking. Be real careful with starting fluid. I have seen it ruin a four stroke engine.

petcock? is that the fuel valve?

Can I pull the plug, put it back in the plug wire and crank it to see if it sparks? ( does that make sense?)

Yeah, but plug generally needs to be touching metal to ground it.

I always held it down to touch engine block with piece of wood when checking a car.

- OS

Guest db99wj
What kind of weedeater? If I buy new I buy Stihl. But that could be a thread of its own.

It is a Homelite. It was my dads, he died 10 years ago, it was probably several years old then. The lawnmower is a MTD, made up north of Martin I believe, it was old when my FIL gave to me when me and the wife moved into our first house (rental) back in 1998. The on/off lever on the side of the motor has been broken off for years, I use a piece of wire to hold it in place where it will keep running, the throttle doesn't move the throttle, got to do that by hand. The spark plug had chunks of crap that I got out of it, thought changing it with the my tiller's spark plug, might get me back going, it didn't. Yes I live in the city and own a tiller, with rear tines, it will be the **** out of you.:D I'm from the country originally, it was my dads too.

I still can't believe the Trail Boss would not start, it always starts.

The other one was the one I had concern over, and it fired right up.

That Scrambler is a beast, it would be better suited for some fearless kid.

It is a Homelite. It was my dads, he died 10 years ago, it was probably several years old then. The lawnmower is a MTD, made up north of Martin I believe, it was old when my FIL gave to me when me and the wife moved into our first house (rental) back in 1998. The on/off lever on the side of the motor has been broken off for years, I use a piece of wire to hold it in place where it will keep running, the throttle doesn't move the throttle, got to do that by hand. The spark plug had chunks of crap that I got out of it, thought changing it with the my tiller's spark plug, might get me back going, it didn't. Yes I live in the city and own a tiller, with rear tines, it will be the **** out of you.:D I'm from the country originally, it was my dads too.

I have always gotten walk behind mowers at yard sales or on the cheap somewhere. Need a new one, the last one rotted so bad the motor had virtually nothing holding it up. Maybe I will actually get a NIB mower this year. Wouldn't that be a treat. My mother in law used to constantly bring over old weed eaters, she even bought a chainsaw, I told her no more.

I have good stuff that will not need replacing in my lifetime.

Yeah, but plug generally needs to be touching metal to ground it.

I always held it down to touch engine block with piece of wood when checking a car.

- OS

you have knowledge, you need to visit this weekend.

I never use starting fluid , it is to hard on small engines. I use WD-40 , ether strips the oil in the cylinders . The prob Mike is this damn big brother gas that ain't worth :D after about 60 days . Drain all gas including the carb , put in fresh gas and check the air box .:D

I never use starting fluid , it is to hard on small engines. I use WD-40 , ether strips the oil in the cylinders . The prob Mike is this damn big brother gas that ain't worth :D after about 60 days . Drain all gas including the carb , put in fresh gas and check the air box .:D

thanks, will use starting fluid carefully.

Does the WD40 fire the motor or clean it the carb?

just in case one doesnt know the scrambler 2 stroke liquid cooled has a dipstick for the balacer shaft. my sons was broke for 5 years. this old man decided to fix it. got it running didnt know about balancer oil. road it about 4 miles took out the front of the block. now i am working on new engine.

Guest Plainsman

Got mine running this afternoon. Turns out it was as simple as moving the gas to reserve. Although I could see fuel in the tank, I guess it just wasn't feeding it while in the "on" position. Started right up when switched to reserve. I put some new gas in the tank along with some sta-bil and it had no problems running from that point on. I always thought that if it was out of gas it would be out of the tank itself...who knew.

yes , you can run a small engine off WD . It will help the carb some

I am suprised I did not know that.

just in case one doesnt know the scrambler 2 stroke liquid cooled has a dipstick for the balacer shaft. my sons was broke for 5 years. this old man decided to fix it. got it running didnt know about balancer oil. road it about 4 miles took out the front of the block. now i am working on new engine.

mine is a 4 stroke liquid cooled, nephews buddy had a 400. That thing flew. He blew his up too.

Yes, if you leave it on it lets a constant supply of fuel to the carb.

As it evaporates the varnish, gunk and old gas is what it leaves behind

lesson learned the hard way, as usual. I am guesing that is what I will find in the carb

Guest db99wj
I have always gotten walk behind mowers at yard sales or on the cheap somewhere. Need a new one, the last one rotted so bad the motor had virtually nothing holding it up. Maybe I will actually get a NIB mower this year. Wouldn't that be a treat. My mother in law used to constantly bring over old weed eaters, she even bought a chainsaw, I told her no more.

I have good stuff that will not need replacing in my lifetime.

Only yard implement I have bought NIB, well no, it was given to my by my wife on my birthday, was a leaf blower. Homelite as well. That thing is close to 10 years old I think. It does work, I ran it this weekend. Looking at Homedepot and Lowes, they do have a couple of models I like, one is a yard machine, the other is a Troy Bilt. around a 21" push behind with mulching capability and a rear bag. Got to have a bagger on it. I like the mulchers. They are 170cc for the Yard Machine and 190cc for the troy bilt. If I have to buy one, that is going to put my Iphone purchase that much further. I would rather fix mine.

Edited by db99wj
you have knowledge, you need to visit this weekend.

BIG free tip.

YOU are as good a ground as engine block - do NOT hold spark plug/wire when you crank it

(although it's a very very quick way to find if it's firing).

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest db99wj
BIG free tip.

YOU are as good a ground as engine block - do NOT hold spark plug/wire when you crank it

(although it's a very very quick way to find if it's firing).

- OS

:taser::taunt:

I always use Sta-Bil if I have something that's going to be sitting for more than a month. It hasn't let me down yet.

*edit*

Gas will basically turn to varnish if left untreated.

Mike:___________

Good advice here. I dont like to use starting fluid on small engines unless i am dead sure that the engine is well lubricated. I have seen cylinders gall and rings stick from starter fluid overdoses. Another way get a bit of gas in the engine is to take a clean rag with a bit of gas soaked into it, hold it near the air cleaner, squeeze a bit, and crank the engine (...be careful here; too little gas is better than too much...do it outside the garage -- no burned down houses and garages wanted!!!....). If the engine hits, you know the fuel line has a blockage or the pump may be giving trouble.

More good advice from redneck; same point being made:

I never use starting fluid , it is to hard on small engines. I use WD-40 , ether strips the oil in the cylinders . The prob Mike is this damn big brother gas that ain't worth :taser: after about 60 days . Drain all gas including the carb , put in fresh gas and check the air box .:taunt:

Hope ya get it running!

Kind regards.

Leroy

Leroy

Change the plug, dont just pull it and clean it. Drain your gas out of the fuel tank, the gas now has so much ethanol:poop: that it will gum up the lines in a matter of weeks; particularly in the winter months if you dont ride it much. This can also start effecting the valves which can lead to starting problems. Also drain the carb there should be a drain plug on bottom of the carb on a polaris. If you can try and put 93octane pure gas(no ethanol) in the tank if there is a gas station in your town that has pure gas, if you cant find gas without ethanol and you dont ride alot drain your tank after you ride if its going to sit. I hope this helps.:taser: