quad won't start

took advantage of the decent weather Saturday and tried to get all the stuff that uses gasoline out of the garage and running.

Got it all going no problem except for the Polaris 325 Trail Boss. Granted the battery is hopelessly dead, but trying to jump it off the battery charger was FAIL. The motor cranks all day long but will not fire.

I had it running a month or so ago, it is always hard to start after sitting for months but it has always fired given a litle time and cranking.

I pulled the spark plug and cleaned it up even though it did not look nasty or anything.

Will spraying starter fluid into the intake help get it to draw gas? Or is that a waste of time?

Any ideas?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you use starter fluid and it hits but then quits running when you stop with the starter fulid you will know more than likely than you are not getting fuel. It will def. tell you that you have good spark. How old is the gas in it?

Guest Plainsman

I'm having the same problem with my "four wheeler" too. Its basically sat since December, but only has 155 miles on it, so its basically brand new. Mine just tries to turn over, but won't fire as well. I looked around online yesterday and found that it may be some junk in my fuel lines that has settled since it hasn't been run. I changed the plug, but no success. I'm obviously not a small engine guy, so it bugs me that I might have to take it for something so small. I may try the starter fluid to see how that does.

I dunno if the gas is bad but I would not be suprised if the lines are gunked up. I had it running a month of so ago and it is the same gas. I guess that gas was put in sometime last summer. Never had this trouble with it before. It always has started even when a few months have gone by between starts.

Now assuming the lines are clogged with gunk are there any tips for cleaning them.

I hate the thought of taking it to Polaris to have it fixed. I did not add any gas to the tank as I kinda figured at some point the tank is going to have to come off, it is maybe 1/4 full now.

meant to add, can I just spray the starter fluid down the intake where the air filter goes on? Or do I need to get to the carb to do it?

Edited by Mike.357
Oh heck Mike, just sell it to me.

what do you want with a quad that doesn't run? LOL

When it runs it is a good machine. I like it mostly because I can pull start it normally without having a stroke.

Trying to pull start the Scrambler 500 4x4 results in stroke, heart attacks and very sore hands from the handle ripping out of my fingers. I keep that one working off the battery at all costs, LOL.

I have no idea why I have two four wheelers anyway. they both never earn their keep anymore.

I always use Sta-Bil if I have something that's going to be sitting for more than a month. It hasn't let me down yet.

*edit*

Gas will basically turn to varnish if left untreated.

what will remove varnish if that is the trouble?

If you spray startimg fluid near the air intake while cranking it may fire and run so long as it can inhale starting fluid. If it fires with starting fluid and then quits it needs to have the fuel system cleaned. If you are not familiar with it take it to the dealer or someone who knows what they are doing. Good luck.

oldogy

www.cincinnatipowersports.com

Trust me I feel your pain. If you can get it running at all you might be able to use a fuel cleaner to clean the rest of it out.

I'm not a mechanic or even very mechanically inclined so if anyone else has some ideas then please chime in.

Did you make sure the gas was turned on? I never, ever shut the gas off on any of my bikes, but somehow I always found them in the off position when I got them out in the spring. If not that, then stick a new spark plug in it and give her a shot of starting fluid a few times.

Mine wont start either.It did start for about 5 seconds and quit.I pulled the plug and it's getting a spark.It has been sitting for about 6 months,guess I'll try the starter fluid also.Good luck

Guest Jamie

Mike, try putting a new battery in it rather than just jumping it off.

I know with bikes, an old battery may still turn the engine over, but not have enough "oomph" left to start it.

Don't ask me why it works that way, 'cause all I know is that it does.

Also, a can of carb/fuel injector cleaner in the tank has been known to bring my mower back from the dead.

J.

Guest db99wj

My lawn mower and weed eater won't start. My weedeater quit last summer, fuel lines disinigrated and after a replaced them, won't start. This weekend my lawnmower started, bogged it down on the devils grass, otherwise and more commonly known as Monkey Grass, won't start.

Going to replace plugs, put some stabilizer in the mower, and in 5gal gas tank, which was replaced end of the season 2009.

Does that Sta bil stuff work? Small engines were invented by the devil too.

squirting it with starting fluid will let you know it's firing.. Couple of stupid things to check tho..

Gas turned on? If so, turn it off then to reserve and try.

pull the breather assembley.. clamp and two bolts on top.. and tap on the float bowl of the carb, needle could be stuck closed if left with gas in the carb for long.

Another thing removing the breather will do.. it will allow you to hold your hand over the air horn while cranking it to actually choke the sucker into submission..

Just a few thoughts.. I have an old xplorer 300 that's a little tempermental after sitting all winter.

• Moderators

This is why you drain the gas when you winterize your equipment.

Drop the bowl on the Carb, you should be able to tell if the gas has lacquered the inside of the carb. I would recommend draining and replacing the gas that is in there now as it has likely turned. If you have the mechanical ability, pull the carb off and soak it in some Sea Foam or some other petroleum distillate engine cleaner. You will probably want to replace the gaskets as well for the carb when you reassemble it.

Sta-Bil works, if you put it in there BEFORE you let the gas sit for 6 months. db99, if I were you I would pour the gas in your tank into the car and then fill your can with fresh gas and some Sta-Bil. Diluting the old gas into a car's tank of gas will allow you to use it fine, but I wouldn't feed it to a small engine at this point.

Unleaded gas that you get at the pump nowadays isn't stabilized and can turn bad in as little as 30-45 days. Fuel stabilizer with save you mucho dinero in repairs to your small engines.

Edited by Chucktshoes
Guest twelvevoltman_69

I am not familiar with your 4 wheeler but am ok on other 4 stroke engines. If I were you I would remove the air filter box and make sure vermin haven't taken up shelter inside. This is a really bad problem I have on my motorcycles!!! Next pull your plug wire off and put a spark plug in it and ground it but do NOT touch it. Now crank the engine and see if you have spark. If so replace the plug wire and spray some starting fluid into the air intake while cranking the engine. If it hits then dies its either not getting gas or not getting good gas. If you have a metal fuel tank it could rust up inside and the debris could be clogging your lines and fuel filter. I had this happen on a generator I needed this winter during a power outage. Good luck.