Trekkie question?

Smith

Since I've exhausted all the TV shows online I'm familiar with and like, I'm starting to venture out to shows I never watched all that much. One of those is the original Star Trek. Not knocking the show, but what was/is the cult following all about? The acting is hokey, special effects are funny to say the least, and there are about 3/4 plot lines repeated over and over in different ways. Maybe it is my frame of reference was a little late (born in '78). Again not an attack I'm just curious as to why such a huge and passionate following?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jamie

I would say that the show's attraction is in presenting a better future or the human race than most people watching it then could either see or imagine coming.

Personally, I can't believe that Gene Roddenberry's version of our future will ever come to pass; I think we'll annihilate ourselves long before we ever learn enough to get that far. And I'm not talking technology here.

'Fraid that in the grand scheme of things, I'd have to side with Q, in the first episode of ST:TNG.

sttng_seasonone_01.jpg

( "Encounter at Farpoint" is the episode, I believe. )

J.

Edited by Jamie
what was/is the cult following all about? The acting is hokey, special effects are funny to say the least, and there are about 3/4 plot lines repeated over and over in different ways. Maybe it is my frame of reference was a little late (born in '78).

Thou hast answered thine own question perfectly.

Guest Jamie
wearing a RED shirt...unless you're ENGINEERING yer DEAD

Yeah... I wonder what the casualty rate was for Starfleet's Security Division? Seems to me that a transfer to there was pretty much a career ender. :P

J.

Not to mention all the hot alien babes.

I found Kirk's character to be pretty funny. He was always portrayed as the ideal man ...... until a woman entered the scene. He immediately went crazy.:rofl:

Guest Swamprunner
I found Kirk's character to be pretty funny. He was always portrayed as the ideal man ...... until a woman entered the scene. He immediately went crazy.:rofl:

And the LT Ohura kiss was a pretty big deal, if I recall.

For myself, and I'm sure for many others at the time, there was a huge interest in "space". The U.S. space program was in it's early stages. I used to be able to tell you all of the astronaut's names and flights and how long they were up there. Shepard's flight, Glenn's orbiting, and the tragic Apollo fire where we lost Grissom, White, and Chafee were memorable events in my childhood. When Star Trek began, it was a must watch. It didn't seem nearly as cheesy then.

Now, if you want to talk cheesy, let's talk Lost In Space. Pure cheese but I thought Penny was way hot. I got to meet June Lockhart and Jonathan Harris back in the nineties. Still have there autographed pictures somewhere.

And then, June Lockhart makes me think of Lassie but I guess I'm really going off topic now...

Guest mikedwood

Because at the time it was the very best si-fi show on TV and like Motasyco said space was in. I remember Space 1999 and Battlestar Galactica were awesome when they were new too.

They did a show on the Discovery channel (or History) about all the inventions that the original Star Trek inspired. That was pretty cool.

Like those old Dracula movies and Wolfman shows use to actually scare people.

Guest jackdm3

STAR TREK is

seven.jpg

*Sorry, guys. Tried all the photobucket codes for a boober, I mean bigger pic size, but ...

Edited by jackdm3
And the LT Ohura kiss was a pretty big deal, if I recall.

It was the first interracial kiss on television.

It took a lot of takes. Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) and Shatner were supposed to act like they were being forced against their will to kiss. They kept breaking down laughing, forcing a retake.

Guest bkelm18
I always wondered why no matter what planet they went to, the aliens always spoke pefect English.

I think they tried to explain this in a ST: The Next Gen episode. Seems like everybody has implants in their ears that instantly translates the language to whatever language is understood by the person listening. I think they realized the explanation is as dumb as it sounds and never brought it up again. :)

Guest Jamie
I think they tried to explain this in a ST: The Next Gen episode. Seems like everybody has implants in their ears that instantly translates the language to whatever language is understood by the person listening. I think they realized the explanation is as dumb as it sounds and never brought it up again. :P

The Universal Translator was first seen in the original series.

Also, the writers had some fun with it in one episode of Enterprise, where it broke, and Tripp was stuck dealing with a bitch-queen he couldn't understand until he got it fixed.

( I'm no Trekkie... or Trekker, as I understand they prefer to be called... but the various Star Trek series have been something I've watched for a very long time now. :) )

J.

Guest mustangdave
I always wondered why no matter what planet they went to, the aliens always spoke pefect English.

LOL...:doh:come on now...the Universal Translator:usa: