Question on this AR kit

Guest BMcCoy

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

What do you plan to do with your AR? I would be wary of the BCG in this kit. This is minus the lower receiver, so tack on another 100. I would go with a CMMG bargain bin rifle for $599. At least they are a known quantity. A good reference for AR's and the varying specs for this is The Chart. It was put together by Rob_S on M4carbine.net.

Guest BMcCoy

It would just be a plinker. It would be $429 shipped to me, and I can get a Doublestar lower for $109 otd. Not a bad deal. I have read mixed reviews, but the people who have actually purchased them seem to be pretty happy.

Ben

This is the company known as Blackthorne ala Hesse, ala Vuclan. If you do a search on any of these names you will read all kinds of horror stories. Of late they seem to be better, but I was scared off after reading thread upon thread of angry customers on many different forums. I would go Model 1 or Del-ton if it were me ...... actually I went Del-Ton twice and they haven't let me down.

Guest RangeMstr

My earlier post may have been a bit flippant.

Here's my concern. Several years ago I purchased a couple of LPK's from Blackthorne to drop into blemished lowers to use as beaters/loaners/range guns. About 10% of the parts would not fit into a milspec lower.

Now, what if the "problem parts" had been an improperly MPI'd or heat treated BCG? Can you say "Stoner Grenade"? A chamber/upper coming apart powered by 55,000 psi will ruin a good range day.

If you are in Nashville why dont you go out to the gun show at the Fairgrounds and get one from Double Star (J&T Distributing is their parts company). You will be able to actually see what you are buying before you pay for it. Gary and Wes are great guys and sell a quality product.

Guest BMcCoy

I actually just got off the phone with J&T. The girl I talked with was very nice. The are out of the heavy barrels right now, and she said it would be about a month. I didn't know that they did the fairgrounds show. There is however a guy in Cookeville that sells all the doublestar parts. I'm gonna get my lower from him, and probably order a kit from J&T. Thanks for all the help and the info.

Ben

I actually just got off the phone with J&T. The girl I talked with was very nice. The are out of the heavy barrels right now, and she said it would be about a month. I didn't know that they did the fairgrounds show. There is however a guy in Cookeville that sells all the doublestar parts. I'm gonna get my lower from him, and probably order a kit from J&T. Thanks for all the help and the info.

Ben

I think you will be very happy with a J&T kit. Mine have all been top notch. And their customer service is great too.

Guest BMcCoy

Ok guys.. I ended up getting my lower from Top Guns in Cookeville. He was out of stock on the kit that I wanted. So, on the way home i decided to stop at The Armory in Lebanon. He had an upper with a 16" fluted HBAR. While I ended up spending more than I really wanted to, I will have to say that I still got a pretty decent deal. Total of kit plus lower receiver=$750. That was after taxes and background. I'm not counting all the gas:D.... Thanks for all the help.

This is all Doublestar by the way..

Ben

Rifle Kit, Carbine, A3 upper, 16 [AR-RKCA3] - $409.00 :: AK Parts kits - Superb Products

First off, I kinda wanna know about the vendor. Are they reputable? They have some REALLY good kit prices. Second, the link above is the kit that I am looking at buying. Does anyone have any opinions on this kit, other than the standard "get a delton"..? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ben

Like the others said. Blackthorn/Hesse/Vulcan/AKPartskits/ARPartskits = NoGo.

I suggest skimming through AR15.com through the build it yourself section. It will spare you the colt vs everybody else B.S. in the AR discussion section.

Oh. Just want to say Buy Cheap. Buy Twice. Saving $200 to build cheap isn't worth the fustration of replacing broken/malfunctioning parts or damage to equipment or personel.

Spike's, BCM, JT Dist., RRA (when in spec) Buy with confidence.