ruger super blackhawk

my82cam

i just picked up a super clean and slick ruger super blackhawk in the awesome 44mag! it is SS and has the best barrel length for single action shooting IMO the 4 3/4. what i am wanting to do is do something with the action. is it simple to do an action job on this? i would like to make it smooth so i can play with fanning the hammer and playing with it. any ideas?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen several articles on polishing the trigger parts on the SBH's in G&A over the years. I will see if I can dig them up. As to fanning the action, it is not recommended on a standard gun without proper mods. Lightening the trigger with a spring kit is fairly simple and easily reversible. I would start with a Wolf spring kit.

Trigger job shouldn't matter with "fanning", since it just stays pulled.

Good luck with fanning that puppy with that adjustable sight sticking out. I've done my Blackhawk .357 a few times, just to say I have, but the sight makes it pretty impractical.

All conventional wisdom states all kinds of reasons why it's hard on the gun's innards, too.

- OS

Please don't fan that pistol...it will damage it. There is also a good chance of it firing slightly out of battery if the mass of the cylinder spinning causes the stop to skip. They can be modified to shoot in this manner, but factory stock is asking for trouble. That and it can bind the pawl against the cylinder ratchets...affects timing.

They are great guns. That barrel length really spits fire!

i just picked up a super clean and slick ruger super blackhawk in the awesome 44mag! it is SS and has the best barrel length for single action shooting IMO the 4 3/4. what i am wanting to do is do something with the action. is it simple to do an action job on this? i would like to make it smooth so i can play with fanning the hammer and playing with it. any ideas?

The gunsmith purists among us won't like this one; but here is the best, easiest way to do an "action job" on a new model blackhawk:

• Take the grips off with your screwdriver.
  • Look for the trigger return spring -- it is hooked at the top of the grip frame near the top of the frame. The spring has a leg that come out on each side of the grip frame. The legs go over the spring ears that hold them in place and put tension on the trigger to return it to the cocked position.
  • Take one leg off one of the return spring ears. Make sure you do it on one side only.
  • Check the trigger pull to see if it is lighter (.. it will be...)
  • Then next time you go to the range; see if this doesnt help a bunch.
  • PDF of parts list here: http://floridaarms.com/images/Ruger_New_Model_Blackhawk_schematic_with_key.pdf

I do this to every new model blackhawk i get (... we have several...). It works like a charm and doesnt affect reliability.

Have fun shooting your new Single Action. They are a great thing.

Check this link out too: Ruger Packin' Pistols

Kind regards,

Leroy

The gunsmith purists among us won't like this one;

It does work! It effectively lessens the trigger return spring pressure and allows the sear to disengage will much less interaction from the user.

Great thing is that you can easily reverse it.